Buzzy trim pieces in rear are driving me crazy

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
[ame]

I have been having this problem since soon after I bought my '15 (new). On any sort of imperfect road the rear trim pieces buzz and vibrate. This problem seems to be worse when the weather is warm (great; I live in Phoenix) but I can't confirm that for sure.

It's driving me nuts, as both trim pieces rattle like this almost constantly. I've had it back to the dealer once already and they said they couldn't find any problems. I just called today to set up another service and asked that they put felt tape on any pieces that may contact and vibrate; my dealer said Ford may not allow them to "modify the vehicle in that way" (though if I'm not mistaken, this was the fix for the buzzy headlight knob trim piece, which I also had).

The video I posted is actually pretty minor as I'm driving down a smooth freeway when there's little traffic; I'm uncomfortable holding a phone when in traffic or on surface streets, but the rattle is worse on any sort of imperfection.

Has anyone else had this issue fixed under warranty? If not under warranty, does anyone have a good idea about what to disassemble and muffle to make this go away? Should I take the car to a different dealer instead of the place where I bought the car?
Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have been having this problem since soon after I bought my '15 (new). On any sort of imperfect road the rear trim pieces buzz and vibrate. This problem seems to be worse when the weather is warm (great; I live in Phoenix) but I can't confirm that for sure.

It's driving me nuts, as both trim pieces rattle like this almost constantly. I've had it back to the dealer once already and they said they couldn't find any problems. I just called today to set up another service and asked that they put felt tape on any pieces that may contact and vibrate; my dealer said Ford may not allow them to "modify the vehicle in that way" (though if I'm not mistaken, this was the fix for the buzzy headlight knob trim piece, which I also had).

The video I posted is actually pretty minor as I'm driving down a smooth freeway when there's little traffic; I'm uncomfortable holding a phone when in traffic or on surface streets, but the rattle is worse on any sort of imperfection.

Has anyone else had this issue fixed under warranty? If not under warranty, does anyone have a good idea about what to disassemble and muffle to make this go away? Should I take the car to a different dealer instead of the place where I bought the car?
Let’s get this escalated for you, brandonsmash. Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer to get it checked out as soon as possible. Also, PM me with your dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

nolezack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM Performance Pack
Honestly dude the easiest way to fix this is DIY. Mine sounded exactly like yours, I pulled out rear seat bottom and folded rear seats down. Side panel comes out easily, only clips holding in place. You need to apply felt tape between the Plastic trim mount and sheet body metal. The plastic comes into contact with the metal body which cause it to resonate loudly. I don't think anyone has got this repaired under warranty that I've heard of, hope this helps.

Sponsored

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I have this same issue in the front in 2 places around the dash and in the rear somewhere. Annoying.

OP
OP

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Thanks for the recommendations, folks. Deysha, I sent you a PM. If the dealer won't fix this I'll have to do it myself, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
sometimes its the plastic panels not the glass

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for the recommendations, folks. Deysha, I sent you a PM. If the dealer won't fix this I'll have to do it myself, but I hope it doesn't come to that.
Thanks, brandonsmash. I'll get back to you soon.

Deysha

Sponsored
OP
OP

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
ARGH, my driver's seat is squeaking/creaking.

I'm really hoping the car comes back after this weekend without these annoying noises. It's so much fun to drive, but these little nuisances really add up.

Deysha, thanks for your help; I look forward to hearing from you. I'm dropping off the car at 0800 on Saturday.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
ARGH, my driver's seat is squeaking/creaking.

I'm really hoping the car comes back after this weekend without these annoying noises. It's so much fun to drive, but these little nuisances really add up.

Deysha, thanks for your help; I look forward to hearing from you. I'm dropping off the car at 0800 on Saturday.
You’re welcome, brandonsmash!

Deysha

OP
OP

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Well, the dealer had it from Saturday until Thursday of last week. I picked it up late on Thursday.

Immediately I noticed that they hadn't fixed the seat, as it still creaked any time I accelerated from a stop, braked, or shifted in the seat. The service paper says "unable to replicate."

The rear window seemed quiet for a day, and then the rattle started again. Now there's the same rattle from the right rear, and a light ticking noise from the left rear.

The regional CSR and I have been playing phone tag but I haven't been able to speak with her directly yet without going through answering machines.

Now the dealership wants me to come back and do a ride-along with one of their techs. Great, except they're only there from 0700-1600 M-F and I work 0700-1800 M-F (and sometimes on Saturday/Sunday). With no loaner to be had, I keep having to rely on the dealer's occasional shuttle to get to work/home and then I have to find rides back to pick up my car.

God, this is getting annoying. The car has 3,800 miles and it's been in the shop five times now -- all for minor problems, but still, it's been back time and time again. This doesn't bode well. I requested that they fix the parking brake lever "slop" when the car was there last; it came back after they replaced parts (and replaced stripped fasteners, according to the work order) but it still has a good inch of slop at the bottom and side-to-side motion as well. My buddy who drove the car home from the dealer for me said that it felt like a stick shift that was in the neutral position.

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
I have that same problem and it pisses me off!! Every time I try to drive! My passenger side door panel also rattles like crazy! And behind my shaker sub(not the sub) something behind the enclosure.. I would bring it in but having ford start messing with panels is probably only going to make things worse. This is very upsetting...
Sponsored