Sponsored

Guys who have upgraded door speakers... question on tweeters

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
For those of you that have upgraded the speakers in your doors, what tweeters fit?

I ask because I have a set of Hertz Mille 3 way components en route, and I am wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. I am hoping I can get the ML280.3's to fit in the a-pillars without having to do fiberglass work. If a-pillars were easy to acquire, I would not have a problem giving it a shot... LOL.
Sponsored

15RaceRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium Race Red
For those of you that have upgraded the speakers in your doors, what tweeters fit?

I ask because I have a set of Hertz Mille 3 way components en route, and I am wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. I am hoping I can get the ML280.3's to fit in the a-pillars without having to do fiberglass work. If a-pillars were easy to acquire, I would not have a problem giving it a shot... LOL.
I used Pioneer but any standard size tweeter should fit -- but will almost certainly require modifications. Once I removed the factory tweeter from the pillar I had to cut away part of the mount on the inside of the pillar to fit the new tweeters. The material is soft and was easy to cut, just take your time. Using this method , I kept the standard tweeter speaker covers. You could also possibly top mount the tweeters - it is really just trial and error.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have the Hertz DSK component system (ya know, because I'm not rich enough for Mille...lol). The diameter of my tweeter on the mounting area is 1.3", but I also have the mounting ring installed which might add about 1/4" to that diameter, making it 1.55". There was still some slop with "flush mounting" on the existing tweeter area on the pillar, but not sure if it was enough for your tweeter or not - yours is 1.89" on the mounting diameter.

It might actually be really close. If it fits, great, and if not, you might need to just take a knife/dremel to the hole where the tweeter mounts and just trim it a bit. It won't be visible once the tweeter is mounted, and should result in a clean factory looking install. You won't be able to use the factory tweeter grille though.

OP
OP
smdandb2

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I have the Hertz DSK component system (ya know, because I'm not rich enough for Mille...lol). The diameter of my tweeter on the mounting area is 1.3", but I also have the mounting ring installed which might add about 1/4" to that diameter, making it 1.55". There was still some slop with "flush mounting" on the existing tweeter area on the pillar, but not sure if it was enough for your tweeter or not - yours is 1.89" on the mounting diameter.

It might actually be really close. If it fits, great, and if not, you might need to just take a knife/dremel to the hole where the tweeter mounts and just trim it a bit. It won't be visible once the tweeter is mounted, and should result in a clean factory looking install. You won't be able to use the factory tweeter grille though.
That's what I like to hear, thank you sir.

Now I just need to piece together the rest of the system.

I had planned on doing everything "active" with the MS-8, but that pretty much leaves me with no sub options if I want rear fill. Why couldnt the MS-8 be called the MS-9? LOL.

OP
OP
smdandb2

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I just went out and looked at the a-pillars. I think the ML280s might be too big. It's gonna be close, that's for sure.

Hopefully Ford doesn't stick it to me too deep for replacement a-pillars. I don't want to start hacking mine with fiberglass until I have a backup plan, LOL.
Sponsored