Sponsored

Question about NOT replacing oil pump gears

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
just curious how many miles you have been boosted? been to the track
About 2k or so miles since November install. It's a weekend car and I don't have plans to race it. Track would kick me out once I did a 11.49 anyway so why bother. I have a different dedicated track car already. Auto trans to. I live on Maui wih no freeways so the opportunity to run it high speeds is very limited. O to 60 is amazing but MT Sport comp tires suck balls so I have zero traction. Gotta get some daily DRs. Looking at Nitto 555 R 305/35/20. I gotta have something thats decent on wet roads cause tropical showers show up outta nowhere here.
Sponsored

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
There is no consensus. Vendors who sell the gears say you should buy them. Supercharger manufactures say you don’t need the gears upgraded when you install their kits. I’m betting the damper manufacturer would tell you there damper can be installed either way as long as you buy one.
I think i'll follow Roh92's lead having already experienced a failure. I'm going to change them but that was the first i heard the Damper come into the equation.

"I was one of the first Whipple guys to loose my motor to OPG failure here. At the time the thinking was if you have stock gears then do balancer for added safety. It's been learned by Whipple and Ford that if you have stock OPG then stick with stock Damper, I proved that one. Either change it all damper and gears or leave it be."

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My car has factory OPG/CS its been boosted for almost a year and has had a blower and now turbos, Its seen over 8000rpm several times at frequently beat on... just installed a 18 Intake and shooting for 9.50 full weight @ 15psi..

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
My car has factory OPG/CS its been boosted for almost a year and has had a blower and now turbos, Its seen over 8000rpm several times at frequently beat on... just installed a 18 Intake and shooting for 9.50 full weight @ 15psi..
I've been running a whipple for 3 years with stock OPG/CS. Over 24k miles with lots of WOT pulls to redline, several track visits and a few high speed runs up to 150mph.

Tony

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I've been running a whipple for 3 years with stock OPG/CS. Over 24k miles with lots of WOT pulls to redline, several track visits and a few high speed runs up to 150mph.

Tony[/QUOTE I am sure you already do this because of the success you are having? Members should make sure timing chains, oil pump gears, timing gears and oil should be at normal operating temperatures before going full boost.This is one of the most important thing you can do to protect your motor.
I can not express how important this is!

Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto

Tony[/QUOTE I am sure you already do this because of the success you are having? Members should make sure timing chains, oil pump gears, timing gears and oil should be at normal operating temperatures before going full boost.This is one of the most important thing you can do to protect your motor.
I can not express how important this is!
If I wanted to protect my motor, I would have left it bone stock. Bottom line, people thinking oil pump gears and crankshaft sprocket is going to protect against engine failure are living in lala land. There are so many other things that can go wrong when you start adding power.

If I'm going to invest in the oil pump gear and crankshaft sprocket, I'm not gonna stop there. I'm going to do the entire motor with the understanding that it could still blow up.

Tony

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
If I wanted to protect my motor, I would have left it bone stock. Bottom line, people thinking oil pump gears and crankshaft sprocket is going to protect against engine failure are living in lala land. There are so many other things that can go wrong when you start adding power.

If I'm going to invest in the oil pump gear and crankshaft sprocket, I'm not gonna stop there. I'm going to do the entire motor with the understanding that it could still blow up.

Tony
I think most people concerned about gears who replace them have intent to prevent oil gear failure, and thereby reducing catastrophic failure. There's an extra step there.

Not hitting rev limiter helps a lot for keeping oil gears alive.

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Opgs are a common failure. It’s never a bad idea to upgrade something that has been known to fail.

It doesn’t take much, all of sudden a lil bit of unexpected wheel spin to bounce off the limiter and buh bye!!

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Opgs are a common failure. It’s never a bad idea to upgrade something that has been known to fail.

It doesn’t take much, all of sudden a lil bit of unexpected wheel spin to bounce off the limiter and buh bye!!

Everything you just said is wrong.
-Luke Skywalker

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo

Not real common but common enough. And the failure is not a cheap fix. WOT and bumpy roads are probably the most common failure. I installed them of my previous S550 and doing it again on my new S550.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Stock timing drive is at high risk of jumping timing on stock tensioners above 8k.
Look for timing related slop in your logs above 8100 and I think youll see the primary chains are lashing and starting to ride up the gear teeth just a bit much for comfort. This is in addition to the drivers side secondary tensioner being on the drive side(wtf ford?). Strange right?
If trans fails to hold a shift at WOT, you better have the reflexes of a day trader on crack to avoid blipping past 8300 as you are clicking valves on pistons if using stock springs at that point.
Consider upgrading the springs, tensioners, chains, and going with the recently released new phasers and lash adjusters. Ask FRPP about what all is needed to run 8500 on 5.0? Thats were I started, lol.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Tony
+1, ... but where do you stop? Lol. Whats the cost/effect/benefit matrix? What other engine mods to do before just grabbing a built motor?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
:)
Stock timing drive is at high risk of jumping timing on stock tensioners above 8k.
Look for timing related slop in your logs above 8100 and I think youll see the primary chains are lashing and starting to ride up the gear teeth just a bit much for comfort. This is in addition to the drivers side secondary tensioner being on the drive side(wtf ford?). Strange right?
If trans fails to hold a shift at WOT, you better have the reflexes of a day trader on crack to avoid blipping past 8300 as you are clicking valves on pistons if using stock springs at that point.
Consider upgrading the springs, tensioners, chains, and going with the recently released new phasers and lash adjusters. Ask FRPP about what all is needed to run 8500 on 5.0? Thats were I started, lol.
LOL at reflexes of a day trader on crack.:)

whats this about recently released phasers and lash adjusters? I assume they are an "upgrade"? Got a link?
I would like to use them in the "spare" motors I am assembling.

I would suggest always using new VCT stuff when putting together a new engine
especially if the old one failed.The Ford racing kit is only $500 and you potentially save your self a lot of headaches.:frusty:
While you are there might as well upgrade the secondary chains and tensioners.
Not sure about the billet guides..... but they sure look pretty in red.

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt

Tony
People are changing just those because they are what is failing the most. That is not la la land,called reality. With those changed these motors are lasting much longer.
Sponsored