Sponsored

2018 GT 6MT Grinding Noise When Releasing the Clutch

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Have you seen a YouTube video by a guy who's channel is called Rared R cars? In one video, he says Ford has admitted the clutch and shifter (transmission?) have to be redesigned and that's why it's on backorder. He said Ford knows the clutch can not handle the torque. That would make sense which is why it happens on the higher end of RPMs.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Have you seen a YouTube video by a guy who's channel is called Rared R cars? In one video, he says Ford has admitted the clutch and shifter (transmission?) have to be redesigned and that's why it's on backorder. He said Ford knows the clutch can not handle the torque. That would make sense which is why it happens on the higher end of RPMs.
I just watched it. I haven't heard anything about the shifter/transmission but yeah it seems like the replacement clutches Ford is shipping are different compared to what came from the plant.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Did you have a rattle issue as well? If so did you get it scoped?

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Nvm rewatched your video, and you do, did you have it checked/scoped?

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yup, I have the engine rattle as well but I think it’s normal, so I haven’t bothered with it.

Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Yup, I have the engine rattle as well but I think it’s normal, so I haven’t bothered with it.
I'd like to believe that also, but having two guys get approved for short blocks (one with physical evidence of cylinder damage and another just based on sound) scares me.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I went in, the shop foreman asked why I am shifting at high RPMs smh. Said they wouldn't look at the issue cause it was normal to hear grind at high RPMs. Got them to document that I complained, they wrote "all vibration and grind noises at 7k RPM deemed normal". Granted it happens over 6k but ill take it for now. I rather not have them pull it apart until I know what the concrete fixes are. Atleast now I have it documented. Let me know what happens with you please.

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just had mine taken care of under warranty, 3/4 gear shift forks broke clean off.

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I went in, the shop foreman asked why I am shifting at high RPMs smh. Said they wouldn't look at the issue cause it was normal to hear grind at high RPMs. Got them to document that I complained, they wrote "all vibration and grind noises at 7k RPM deemed normal". Granted it happens over 6k but ill take it for now. I rather not have them pull it apart until I know what the concrete fixes are. Atleast now I have it documented. Let me know what happens with you please.
Clutch assembly is still on back order possibly until mid-June. The dealer reinstalled the drive-train and released the car back to me earlier this week. They'll hold onto the new flywheel and I'll bring the car in once they get the clutch and the rest of the parts from Ford. This is definitely not normal. You can ask the service manager or shop foreman to drive one of the new cars on the lot with and confirm that the other cars don't grind like that. Also, the service manager told me that there are more than a dozen people with this problem nationwide. Everyone is waiting on parts, so Ford is definitely warrantying this issue. I am pretty sure Ford has been aware of this problem for some time since they told the dealer exactly where to look and what to look for when the techs opened a ticket with the Ford hot line.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Man the look I would give to those jagoffs if they had the audacity to ask me the same question.

Why shift at 7K RPM? Because I bought a performance car??? What do you expect me to do? Shift at 2K like its a Corolla? And also grinding when shifting is never normal.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I got a call from the regional customer service manager at Ford on Friday afternoon to let me know that the new clutch assembly for my car has shipped. If all goes well and the dealer has it in their hands early this week, I just have to drop off the car in the am and should be able to pick it up the following day with the new flywheel and clutch installed.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
As stated by mvfjet, Ive experienced this noise a couple times, but not religiously. Couple other things Ive noticed with the trans are: I get an audible and mechanical thud going from 1st to second 75% of the time and around 50% 2nd to 3rd(regardless of clutch position engagement). I get a sensation of imminent grinding as I row 1st through 3rd, but doesnt actually grind(very annoying). When I stab the throttle it feels like the clutch is slipping or "flexing"(no instant power). Accidentally I found that I can move the shifter fully into first and second and partially into 3rd w/out even touching the clutch with the car off(normal???), Ive never tried doing this in any other car Ive had because....why would you, lol. Ive driven a manual for the last 21 years and have never experienced such a weird, stubborn trans. I know I went a little off topic...not trying to hijack your thread Nanashii. Oh yeah, and I have "the engine rattle" as well.:tsk::mad::frusty:

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Interesting. My car has done this exactly once, at around 4500 rpm. Sounded identical, and I could feel it in the pedal. I just assumed it was the dual mass flywheel getting slapped around that I felt. I'll post up if mine starts becoming common.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Is this different than the whirring noise some (myself included) seem to have going from first to second?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
As stated by mvfjet, Ive experienced this noise a couple times, but not religiously. Couple other things Ive noticed with the trans are: I get an audible and mechanical thud going from 1st to second 75% of the time and around 50% 2nd to 3rd(regardless of clutch position engagement). I get a sensation of imminent grinding as I row 1st through 3rd, but doesnt actually grind(very annoying). When I stab the throttle it feels like the clutch is slipping or "flexing"(no instant power). Accidentally I found that I can move the shifter fully into first and second and partially into 3rd w/out even touching the clutch with the car off(normal???), Ive never tried doing this in any other car Ive had because....why would you, lol. Ive driven a manual for the last 21 years and have never experienced such a weird, stubborn trans. I know I went a little off topic...not trying to hijack your thread Nanashii. Oh yeah, and I have "the engine rattle" as well.:tsk::mad::frusty:
The shifting with car off and no clutch is normal. The slipping feeling could just be the anemic stock throttle mapping.
I have the thud occasionally as well. I also have some clutch slip when slowly letting the pedal out at slow speeds. Sometimes engagement is smooth, and other times it slips a bit (like my Stealth TT with racing 6-puck). I have started hearing a whirring noise higher in the rpms in 1st and 2nd. Most noticeable right before shifting. I assumed it was related to the dual mass flywheel.
Sponsored