Sponsored

The Bullitt is a limited edition

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Time is the key. Give Ford Time to ramp up production and hand out allocations.
Sponsored

dean_acheson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302, 2019 Bullitt
Not to split hairs, but I seem to remember distinctly the target on the Boss 302 cars was the number of 69-70 cars built. No, I don't have a link to that. It might have been in Donald Farr's book.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The Bullitt is a limited edition but not limited production. Ford will make as much as the demand will dictate.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
The Bullitt is a limited edition but not limited production. Ford will make as much as the demand will dictate.
I was told by a dealer here in BC that Canada was getting 750 Bullitts. So that is suggesting a fixed production limit.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was told by a dealer here in BC that Canada was getting 750 Bullitts. So that is suggesting a fixed production limit.
I was told something similar as well.

But the rep also suggested that IF the demand is higher, then they will increase the production limit.

What they do not want is to have more BULLITTs just sitting at the dealer's lot.

Local dealer has 11 GT350s (2017 model year) and each are at $11K discount.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
It seems if the GT500 uses a 5.2 standard crank and the GT350 uses a similar block with the flat plane crankshaft, then both cars will end up true collectors, unlike the Bullitt. Looking back, what made collectible muscle cars especially valuable, more than any other attribute, were the engines. From my vantage point, I think I would rather buy a slightly used GT350 than a Bullitt because of the drivetrain being so unique. Prices similar.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Seems like the BULLITT may not be a collector's item as it is too similar to a loaded GT Premium. But it doesn't matter as it will be one rare vehicle with close to 500 HP stock.

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
Same old nonsense that's been going on in Canada for years. In 2007, we were told Canada would be limited to 420 Shelby GT500's. That was about 15 for every SVT dealer in the country. ADMs were nuts and buyers actually getting a car could sell for thousands of dollars more than they were paying before the car was even delivered. Out of nowhere in late January, another 365 GT500's miraculously were allocated to Canadian SVT dealers who had raked in ADMs of up to $30K per car on the first allocation. In total, thousands more 2007 GT500s were built than Ford initially stated. It's all about demand together with a good measure of greed. If the demand isn't there for the 750 Bullitts currently allocated to Canada, there will be no more. If they have orders for all 750 at MSRP plus a substantial ADM, more will probably miraculously appear in January/19. Bullitt demand in the past hasn't been everything Ford had hoped it would be. They're being cautious with this one.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
... Bullitt demand in the past hasn't been everything Ford had hoped it would be. They're being cautious with this one.
I think that is key here.

I do believe that Ford has said the 2019 Bullitt will have a limited number built but have also said that they haven't determined what that number will be yet.

They:
  • Don't want to overproduce for demand and get stung again
  • Don't want to dilute the market interest/mystic
  • Don't want to produce so many that there is no 2020 demand
  • Don't want to produce too few to turn a profit
ADM's don't help Ford at all. They are likely trying to get as good a handle on ultimate demand before they announce the total 2019 production number and then they'll have to figure out how many to produce for 2020.

People have to remember that this was a relatively rushed production and Ford is figuring it out as they go. None of us like that, but it is what it is.

I don't put a lot of concern into the Bullitt needing its own engine to make it collectable, that is only one aspect of things and there is plenty of history of models being collectable that had the same engine as other offerings, having a 20-HP bump helps, but especially if they have a unique and limited combination. I think it will do fine. Not Shelby fine, it's not a Shelby, but fine. Virtually all cars are depreciating assets and it is more a matter of which depreciate the least.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think that is key here.

I do believe that Ford has said the 2019 Bullitt will have a limited number built but have also said that they haven't determined what that number will be yet.

They:
  • Don't want to overproduce for demand and get stung again
  • Don't want to dilute the market interest/mystic
  • Don't want to produce so many that there is no 2020 demand
  • Don't want to produce too few to turn a profit
ADM's don't help Ford at all. They are likely trying to get as good a handle on ultimate demand before they announce the total 2019 production number and then they'll have to figure out how many to produce for 2020.

People have to remember that this was a relatively rushed production and Ford is figuring it out as they go. None of us like that, but it is what it is.

I don't put a lot of concern into the Bullitt needing its own engine to make it collectable, that is only one aspect of things and there is plenty of history of models being collectable that had the same engine as other offerings, having a 20-HP bump helps, but especially if they have a unique and limited combination. I think it will do fine. Not Shelby fine, it's not a Shelby, but fine. Virtually all cars are depreciating assets and it is more a matter of which depreciate the least.
Well said.

I predict that BULLITs will depreciate, but not nearly as fast as the GT Premiums. Thus if I'm going for a fully loaded GT Premium, I'd rather pony up (no pun intended) a few thousand and get a BULLIT instead.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I just took a look at autotrader. I cannot see any premium pricing on a Bullitt over a Mustang GT premium, which all Bullitts were. I bought and sold a 2009 Bullitt and paid attention to prices at the time very closely. I actually bought the Bullitt because of the color and was disappointed in performance vs the 05 and 07 GTs I owned previously.
Versus a GT500 which truly held and holds a premium used car value.
In the end the Bullitt is actually just a DHG Mustang GT premium.
I, for one, like the car, but not for 5K more than a GT with similar options. And, remember, the computer/tune will be unique, which is good and bad. It will likely have the same issues that my '09 had: custom tuning will be needed vs just an emailed tune from Lund, LMS, etc. Unless one of those guys decides to get a Bullitt and tune it, which may or may not occur. I would bet my eye teeth that a tuned '19 GT will make more power than a stock Bullitt.
Still like it, just not at MSRP...

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Still not sure where everyone is getting this "GT Premium is 5k less than the Bullitt"?

A similarly equipt GT Premium (although 20-hp less, etc.) lists out at $52,255 in the US, doesn't it?

A loaded Bullitt is $52,885. That makes it a $630 cost for:
  • 20 more HP (many upgrades cost more than that for 20-hp)
  • Limited Edition
  • Limited Production (according to the Ford interviews - time will tell how limited)
  • A unique car

I definitely think the Bullitt is worth a $630 premium. In fact, I think it is worth $2,000 - $4,000 more than a GT any day, for me. But each person has to make that decision for themselves. Neither choice is wrong, it is just what I think/want vs what someone else thinks/wants.

The Bullitt ticks all the right boxes for me, but I'm fine if it doesn't for others. I'm secure enough not to let that worry me. ;-)

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Still not sure where everyone is getting this "GT Premium is 5k less than the Bullitt"?

A similarly equipt GT Premium (although 20-hp less, etc.) lists out at $52,255 in the US, doesn't it?

• Limited Edition
  • Limited Production (according to the Ford interviews - time will tell how limited)
  • A unique car

I definitely think the Bullitt is worth a $630 premium. In fact, I think it is worth $2,000 - $4,000 more than a GT any day, for me. But each person has to make that decision for themselves. Neither choice is wrong, it is just what I think/want vs what someone else thinks/wants.

The Bullitt ticks all the right boxes for me, but I'm fine if it doesn't for others. I'm secure enough not to let that worry me. ;-)
Agreed.

However, the dealers are willing to move on prices for regular Mustangs. With the BULLITT, not so. Which means that the BULLITT is already $5K to $10K more than a regular Mustang.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
  • Limited Edition
  • A unique car

.....and, you get a unique color.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Agreed.

However, the dealers are willing to move on prices for regular Mustangs. With the BULLITT, not so. Which means that the BULLITT is already $5K to $10K more than a regular Mustang.
That's a 2018, isn't it?

I understand that and agree with it to some degree. However, AFAIK, the discounting on the 2019 GT Premium isn't like that. Can a person walk into most dealerships and order a 2019 GT Premium at "$5K to $10K" off MSRP?
Sponsored