2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com 101 - Anderson Composites - 1
2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com
Homepage Wiki MOTM Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Ford Bronco Forum Calendar Garage

Go Back   2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com > 2015+ Ford Mustang Forum > Local Sections > Australia

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
MaxQ

Drives: 2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Adding driving lights - The concept

I've been looking into the various options to Improve the headlights.
1.changing the High beam HID globes - possible.
2. converting the fog lights into drivings lights- lights too low to ground
may have issues with heat dissipation being small enclosure.

Or do what I have done with other vehicles - fit driving lights,what a
Brilliant idea.
This would not interfere with the operation of any of the factory lights.
Ok now which ones to buy that would not detract from the looks of the vehicle and will be practical, which is what I'm looking for.

I checked out the Light-force Venom 150mm LED driving lights,
I think these have possibilities so I've done a concept photo of how it might look.
The technical details of mounting them are still being investigated.
Any thoughts on the Idea?
Attached Images

Steeda clutch spring, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Steeda lockout collar, CJ 50th gear knob.
UHF radio. Fit my car floor mats, boot liner, Tempe Tyre spare.
Steeda Low profile jacking rails, idler pulleys, water pump pulley, hood release lever.
MaxQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
Hellman109

Drives: Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQ View Post
Any thoughts on the Idea?
Please never drive behind me if you do that as you will dazzle drivers in front of you and potentially cause accidents, but at the least piss everyone off.

Headlights are self-levelling and are required to be that way when they're as bright as they are.

Get in touch with Loudz Creations in Adelaide for some brighter headlights, AFAIK he has the kits ready to go, plug and play, still self levelling as they use the stock housing, etc.

Probably far cheaper then adding lights too.
Hellman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
MaxQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellman109 View Post
Please never drive behind me if you do that as you will dazzle drivers in front of you and potentially cause accidents, but at the least piss everyone off.

Headlights are self-levelling and are required to be that way when they're as bright as they are.

Get in touch with Loudz Creations in Adelaide for some brighter headlights, AFAIK he has the kits ready to go, plug and play, still self levelling as they use the stock housing, etc.

Probably far cheaper then adding lights too.
Thanks for the lead to Loudz Creations, will definitely follow up with them.

The last people you would want to piss off out here are the road trains
their lights are as bright as the sun so one would lose out it that competition. LOL

Driving lights installed correctly will only work when High beam is selected, they must also have a switch to isolate the lights when not required,
As a responsible road user I use only when required in the driving situation,such as long distance open road when you need to see the road ahead, having good lights also reduces the risk of fatigue, hitting cattle, kangaroos, camels.etc
Cheers.
Steeda clutch spring, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Steeda lockout collar, CJ 50th gear knob.
Steeda Low profile jacking rails, idler pulleys, water pump pulley, hood release lever.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
radar

Name: Ray
Drives: 2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Long lamented your concept pic is not offered as Factory option.
Looks fantastic on XR to XB GT.
reminiscent of 69 Mach 1.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
FMGTV8

Name: Don
Drives: drives "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Garage
Like your concept but the practicalities of mounting could be an issue plus those lights are 1.2kg each.
Not really sure how you could mount securely in the grille location?
Problem with most LED lights is the weight factor as they require adequate fins/metal work for cooling.

Found this link : https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...pocket-kit.asp

Maybe contact them and see what they can suggest.
...Nappa Red Leather Custom Trim...Velgen VMB9 20" Wheels...Bridgestone Potenza S001 Tyres...Royal Leather Custom Steering Wheel...Lakin Plates... Scott Drake Pedals...Uber Ceramic Coating...GT350 Red Shift Knob...Pony Mudflaps...Dark Window Tint...Ford Performance Hood Struts & Oil Air Separator...Ford Racing X-Pipe...Injen EVO9201 CAI...Steeda Clutch Spring...BG SyncroShift11 ...

Ordered 28/09/2016 ... Built 19/01/2017 ... Arrived 17/04/2017 ... At Dealer 24/04/2017 ... My Car on 28/04/2017
FMGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
radar

Name: Ray
Drives: 2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
May have compromised air flow to engine compartment
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
apsilon

Drives: Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
While I like the idea given the long history of certain Mustangs having lights in the grille, I do know Ford AU has been rejecting engine warranty claims for Rangers that have changed their grille to the popular "Raptor" style grille citing the change in airflow. It's a BS excuse but puts the onus back on the owner to prove otherwise which would be expensive.

Clearing out new unused aftermarket parts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98582
Ford Performance, Steeda and more
apsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 05-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #8
RoyalCrimsonGT

Name: Bong
Drives: 2018 MGT P, 10R80, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
While I like the idea given the long history of certain Mustangs having lights in the grille, I do know Ford AU has been rejecting engine warranty claims for Rangers that have changed their grille to the popular "Raptor" style grille citing the change in airflow. It's a BS excuse but puts the onus back on the owner to prove otherwise which would be expensive.
i can see why they'd reject warranty because even on the GT... i've had a drop-in k&n since week two of owning the GT and just recently drilled open some of the plastic honeycomb holes in front of the intake and felt the perfect increase in throttle response.. so greedy me decided to drill them all open and now the stock calibration seems off like the a/f is off, even the auto shifts seem affected so for now, stock paper filter is back on til i get a tuner

Mods: Bone stock except for K&N drop-in and JLT Oil Separator.

Track app 1/4 mile trap speed = 120mph
RoyalCrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:42 AM   #9
GT 550

Drives: Black GT MT S550
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
I thought the Warranty t&c were such that Ford needs to prove how modifications contributed to a failure before rejecting a claim. So not just citing 'changed airflow' but exactly proving exactly how the airflow change led to the failure. Won't stop them from trying though.

Max have a look at this, 2014 grille in a 2015 car. If you're handy it might provide a mounting solution for you.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/sho...t=56754&page=4

Last edited by GT 550; 05-19-2018 at 06:04 AM.
GT 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #10
Spike-S550

Name: Spike
Drives: 5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Have you vied the DIY section Page 5 ? (a different take on grill lights) May give you some inspiration !
Spike-S550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #11
MaxQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalCrimsonGT View Post
i can see why they'd reject warranty because even on the GT... i've had a drop-in k&n since week two of owning the GT and just recently drilled open some of the plastic honeycomb holes in front of the intake and felt the perfect increase in throttle response.. so greedy me decided to drill them all open and now the stock calibration seems off like the a/f is off, even the auto shifts seem affected so for now, stock paper filter is back on til i get a tuner
Oops I knew there must be a reason why they were blanked off, so I,ll be leaving them alone.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 AM   #12
MaxQ

Thanks to you all for your valuable inputs on the driving light concept.
Some dot points that you have highlighted and items I also had reservations about
Such as Changes to air flow,
The physical size and weight of the lights.
The secure mounting method I looked at by fabricating a mount that attaches to the
Metal box section that runs across the front inside the bumper, although it would work
It may change the energy absorption properties of the front in the event of a frontal impact.
Secondly having 2 flat metal bars protruding through the grill to mount the lights on would not go down well with the authorities.
So I ruled that out.

I did see the build the guy did with mounting the lights in the grill, he did a magnificent job.

To sum up at this point in time I think it will remain a concept.
I will be contacting Loudz Creations and see what they can offer
And will update the post on my decision.
Cheers MaxQ
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #13
Flying Fiz

Drives: 2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I agree that the lights as configured in the mock-up photo could be a problem, as the passenger side looks like it would affect airflow into the engine air intake.

It is sensitive - I drilled out all the black honeycomb right in front of the intake and noticed an improvement in performance. I also have the Steeda CIA with a huge diameter pipe into the TB, so I figured that helped.
2016 GT/ JBA Axle Backs / 30mm lower / Shockworks street adjustable coilovers / H P tune / Steeda CAI / Hydraulic hood opener / LED Tri Bar DRLs / Sequential indicators / 305 rear 275 front Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 20" Ferrada FR8 forged wheels / Engine Bay Bling.
Flying Fiz is offline   Reply With Quote