Sponsored

2015 Mustang S550 design thread

KZStang

Ok I did the best I could, not being a designer myself. Love it or hate it, this is what I see happening. Agree or disagree, let's hear it.

I pulled together some info based on Ford's own words about its new global design language, its other vehicles and people who have claimed to see it with their own eyes. As usual, with the caveat that before we see it from Ford, this is all just educated guesswork. Hopefully we see a full prototype soon, but there's so much talk about retro vs. modern, American vs. European, etc. that I think it's worth a new thread apart from the renders.

Design Language
1. Class it up
Expect the 2015 Mustang to look and feel more expensive. This will result from the combination of two pillars of the future global design language from Ford. Silhouette Innovation and Refined Surface Language.

Silhouette Innovation
According to J Mays, the first pillar of Ford’s new design language represents a profile “that defines your automobile and looks different than most of the other cars in a particular class on the road.”

Refined Surface Language
Refers to a “smoothing out” of kinetically sculpted body surfaces, among them the architectural fenders, creased door skins, and sculpted hoods. This directive also appears to be a reaction to other manufacturers that Mays claims have “annexed” and subsequently exaggerated Ford’s Kinetic motifs. Ford is going in “exactly the opposite direction” now, he said, keeping what he called the “excitement” of Kinetic design but rendered in “beautiful shapes you’d love to run your hands over.”

Bottom Line: The 2015 Mustang will likely benefit from a more refined and sophisticated exterior, and a few touches of chrome (lip of grille perhaps?). The interior may benefit from higher quality materials (soft touch plastics, higher quality leather/alcantara, leather stitching like that of the California Special editions and slightly better trim)

2. Size Matters

Perceived Efficiency
This element is about visual lightness and sleekness. “We’d like to have lightweight pillars and a teardrop cabin where the lines on the side disappear at a vanishing point somewhere around 100 yards behind the car," said J Mays regarding Ford's new global design. Think less traditional three-box sedan and more four-door coupe. In other words, thinner pillars and a C pillar which joins the rear fender/trunk in a subtle tapered way. This will help reduce weight without overly cramping the rear and cabin space.

Bottom Line:
The Evos concept ushered in a lighter and sleeker design language for Ford. However, Ford understands a big part of the appeal of the Mustang is its visual aggressiveness and "muscle car" looks. Expect the 2015 Mustang to make use of lighter internals such as more aluminum in its undercarriage while eliminating some of the rear overhang bulk and while giving the car a more shapely front and rear fascia to give it a sleeker look while maintaining its overall muscle. I expect the C pillar to form at a slightly less-than full-fastback while the B pillar may vanish behind a less floaty rear glass that comes together with the front window.

3. Functional Design

Expecting the 2015 Mustang to maintain Ford's commitment to "form follows function." Design engineering is a central focus of Ford design as shown in the latest iteration of the Mustang. Mustang Chief Engineer, Dave Pericak, has stated that a major part of the Mustang DNA is that it is authentic and real. This means that new functions and content introduced – such as the 2013 Mustang hood vents are functional and not merely cosmetic which determines both whether and where the hood vents may be placed. Form follows function – the way it should be.

See 2:00 Mark.

Details, Details, Details

So what does this mean for the individual design elements of the 2015 Mustang?

My guesses:

1. Single trapezoid grille leading up to the edge of the hood over a smaller air inlet

I'll start with what's probably the most controversial of the bunch.....

“New Face of Ford”
When Ford calls the trapezoid grille (opposed to the “inverse trapezoid” in the Kinetic design) the new face of Ford, they mean it. Literally. The grille, a feature that has its share of fans and deterrents alike, has made its way in almost all of Ford’s recent lineup of cars -- and most notably, the 2013 Ford Fusion. Mays has stated that the inverse trapezoid grille will continue to evolve and make its way higher up along the edge of the hood which gives the Evos a shark-like nose reminiscent of the Mustang’s distinct front fascia. Ford has chosen this grille for a “visual sense of premium quality” which basically means it makes the car look more expensive than it really is. The new front fascia is also moving away from the traditional two grille design of Kinetic in place of a singular grille as seen on modern Aston Martins. “We’ve tried to eliminate one of the grilles on the vehicle, and focus on the other. And what that does is allow us to have a smaller inlet, gives us better aerodynamics, and also, I think, looks much more premium.”

Aston Martin DBS Carbon Edition.jpg

See 23:30 Mark

2. Razor cut headlights with standard xenon lamps

Technical Graphics
Refers to the lamps and lower body addenda. J Mays has stated that “headlamps seem to be growing to absurd proportions. They’ve become less about technology and more about design flourish and style. And we think that’s reached its complete evolution. So we’re going to the minimal height for the headlamps and the tail lamps and we’re going to let the technology speak for the graphics rather than overt style.” The headlamps on the Evos are rendered in LEDs “designed in such a way that you probably haven’t seen before.” Will every future Ford model get “razor-cut” headlamps such as these? Yes, Mays has said that he is committed to LED headlamps on every new Ford, although we’ll have to see if those make it past the accountants.

Bottom Line: Expecting the 2015 Mustang to get a thinner, smaller, more pushed back sweeping headlamps, similar, but not identical to the ones found on the 2013 Fusion. While I would love to see full LED head lamps, I expect the 2015 Mustang to have fog lights with LED turn signals while retaining the same xenon head lamps in the current generation. One possibility is that the higher trims such as the GT500 and other SVT special editions will utilize new LED headlamps since cost will become a major factor for the base and GT Mustangs. Another possibility is rear LED fog lights (required for European sales) which would be embedded between the exhausts on the lower diffuser.

photo.JPG

3. Slightly sloped front fascia
A much speculated design change and one predicated on European pedestrian crash safety regulations, the 2015 Mustang will likely sport a more shapely and sloped front fascia as seen in spy photos last year. Such a design would mean a lower profile with a slight bulged hood to compensate for the smaller engine bay and mostly unchanged premium engine options.

2015 Mustang Render1 (Blue) - Mustang6G.jpg

4. Modified Rear Quarter Window
One of the lesser discussed elements of the Mustang redesign is the rear quarter window that has become a staple on Mustangs. I believe Ford will "close the gap" between the front and rear windows. This is one simple design change that can give the 2015 Mustang a sleeker and more modern (less retro) look between the B and C pillars.

5. Sharp lines
This is a design element seen on the Ford Evos concept and I believe the 2015 Mustang will get a healthy dose of sharper lines. Sharp top of the front fender starting above the headlamps, fading before the base of the "rear viewing elements" that spring from the window trim. This would give the Mustang a much needed twin bulge at the front fender to account for a more sloping front fascia.

6. A Mustang Rear
Expecting the 2015 Mustang to retain most of the rear design elements of the current Mustang. This is one way the Mustang can satisfy both the Mustang faithful and new fans alike while still complying with safety regulations. The triple rear taillights, important to the Mustang identity, should go largely untouched, with a possible slimmer design and move upward closer to the lip of the trunk.
Ford-Evos-Concept-pre-show-reveal-grille.jpg
ford-evos-concept-headlight-photo-420345-s-1280x782.jpg
2015 mustang spy shot nose.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

KZStang

I'm going to note that with all of the above, I think we still see a distinct Mustang DNA retained. Ford has said it all along that it understands it can't go too mainstream or too "European" and that we will still have a very unique looking Mustang (see video below). As I've said before, I think this is more about catering to generation Y who have fewer roots to the classic Mustangs of my generation.

AND I dont believe Ford will give us an Evos Mustang..... I put it in there just for illustration purposes.

[2:20]

Q: "How will North American styles and tastes be satisfied in upcoming Ford vehicles? Will we see more "kinetic" style cars, or a new theme?
A: "Mustang is an icon in itself. We will also only have a Mustang design language and as we approach what is a very exciting time, 2014, 50th anniversary of the Mustang, we can feel the weight on the design team's shoulders that we get this thing right so it's going to be a very exciting car but have very little to do with kinetic."

[3:44]

Q: "Now that the Mustang has the right mix of both modern and heritage styling cues, where does the exterior design go from here?"
A: "2005 - we created a nice balance between retro cues and modern styling. 2010 drove that message home even more. But now we can't simply do an evolution of the 2005 and 2010 cars. With 2014 approaching, we've got to take a jump forward, we can't lose the mustang DNA, which is really important, but we've got to signal mustang has another 50 years of life left in it. In order to do that, we're going to have to take a bit more of a stretch with the car and bring all of our mustang faithful along with us…. Approaching 2013 you'll see a very cool Mustang"

OP
OP

Mriley

For a non-design guy you sure put a lot of work into this.... thanks for the good read.

I agree with a lot of this, but not all of it. I think that Fusion grille is going to be heavily modified to not look like every other car in its line up including the Evos concept.

I think people are taking the rumors of the end of the retro design and running too far with it. They won't make it 100% modern or European inspired. Mays even said they are going to blend retro with modern so we know some of it will be classically Mustang.

OP
OP

Robinson

Holy crap. That's some writeup. This is seriously the best Mustang forum for the next model, love all the enthusiasm and crazy fanatics.

Bookmarked to read when I get home. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

stangray11

Nice work KZ. Evos is simply a starting point for Ford. Like you said, I think it will be uniquely Mustang.

Also, the whole idea of "classic" mustang look really needs a new definition besides just looks like a Mustang I. It's constantly evolving with each generation.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GTsquid

Good effort man. We can't forget about those focus groups posted by Jalopnik though. Those may be our biggest clue right now what it looks like.

http://jalopnik.com/5949026/the-20145-ford-mustang-everything-we-know

The most interesting points......

1. They remembered a longer nose, thin and straight headlights, and an open grill with a central chrome strip. They saw this rendering and said the side molding was "spot on." They also described the length of the rear side windows, and a shorter rear.

Ford-Mustang-50-years-logo-625x453.jpg

2. There was three segments in each of the tail lights. (Traditional Mustang). Except each segment was louvered over the next. I reached in and grabbed one of the louvers. They are three dimensional and you can put your fingers inside the louvers (pretty deep). I had my fingers inside the louver and my thumb outside the louver and my palm was wrapped around the curved part. The outside of the louvers are rounded and have the appearance of the middle section of a plastic water bottle. The inside of the louvers are flat. The entire light is red, with no white at all. These were probably the coolest tail lights I have ever seen.

3. I didn't appreciate any size difference. We did evaluate the interiors, and I didn't feel it was any bigger inside, for sure.

4. The steering wheel had a large circle in the center with a Ford emblem in the center of it. The steering wheel looked really cool. The buttons on it were mounted higher on the wheel and not on the sides, like on mine. Also, the rectangle door over the cupholders is now gone. Just two holes in the plastic behind the shifter. The buttons and nav screen were bigger and not configured like your photo either. The biggest thing I remember is the hard black plastic parts have not changed. However, it appears the plastic is now padded as it was not as hard as my cars is.

5. One particular point of interest for the two who went to the clinic was a large cluster of LED lights below the rear license plate. They could sketch what it looks like (seen on the left), but they mistook it for a federally-mandated center light.

2015 Mustang Render1 (Red) - Mustang6G.jpg

It's a REAR FOG LIGHT, required in European countries and other few other places. they can have them in the driver side tail light cluster with or without passenger light, or it can be mounted in the centre (to get around the RHD/LHD issue) below the rear light clusters.
2015 Mustang S550 Rear Foglights.png
2015 Mustang S550 Render.png

OP
OP

groundnpounder

2015 Mustang Render1 (Red) - Mustang6G.jpg

It's a REAR FOG LIGHT, required in European countries and other few other places. they can have them in the driver side tail light cluster with or without passenger light, or it can be mounted in the centre (to get around the RHD/LHD issue) below the rear light clusters.

So we're going to get a triangular foglight something like on the FR-S?

OP
OP

JackHoya

I think a heavily modified beefed up version of the trapezoid grille, (slightly) sloped hood, razor headlights and rear tri-bar lights will all make its way to the exterior. As for the Jalopnik article, I really think the Carscoop render looks too S197. And the interior elements I wouldn't take too much stock in.... probably just like the mule with a mishmash of different parts from Ford's lineup.

OP
OP

DJ

Nice work KZ. Evos is simply a starting point for Ford. Like you said, I think it will be uniquely Mustang.

Also, the whole idea of "classic" mustang look really needs a new definition besides just looks like a Mustang I. It's constantly evolving with each generation.

Evos is a great starting point IMHO. It's got the right look, they just need to give it a muscle car look. This is a chop of the Evos which I would be totally cool with.

2015 Mustang S550 - Wheels (4).jpg
2015 Ford Mustang S550 Evos Render.jpg

OP
OP

Burnout44

Not feeling the front of that blue render. If they do borrow from the Evos grill, they need to push it up towards the edge of the hood like Mays said in the vid. It's the only way to make it look aggressive enough for a Mustang.

Sponsored
OP
OP

shelby1k

Yea, if I had to put my money on it, I'd say the Carscoop render is too safe. The red chop of the Evos concept is not too bad.

I agree with KZStang that we see the same corporate grille that is making its rounds through the entire line up, but they can change it up a bit. Open up and widen the mouth and lift up the hood.

The current headlights in the S197 are a goner tho. We will definitely see slimmer ones. I'm not sure it'll be as razor cut as the Evos, but looking at the redesigned engine bay of the mule , it looks like Ford is going for a more angular nose.

OP
OP

Melino

I dont like all that chrome trim on the grill and surrounding the windows... one thing I hope the stang doesnt borrow from.

OP
OP

Mriley

So we're going to get a triangular foglight something like on the FR-S?
Sounds like it. I didn't know these were required to be sold in Europe. Do all Euro cars have this? I find it kind of distracting to look at... When I look back there all I want to see are the tri-bar lights, especially at night.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, all European cars certainly need a rear fog light. Traditionally, they used to be housed in the main rear light clusters......often one each side but, at the minimum, it needs at least one on the drivers side. Placing a fog light in the middle means it's sorted for left or right hand drive.

Take a look at the rear of this RS Focus. The lower right is the fog, lower left is the reversing light.

OP
OP

JackHoya

Ah, well that makes sense since we know a RHD version is coming. Would much prefer it to be housed in the rear light clusters, but would probably add some cost to produce different versions.
Sponsored