10 Quart Oil Capacity for 2018 Vs 8 Quarts for 2015-17

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
OK Ok...I was surprised to read how many quarts the 2018 GT requires!

I am guessing the reasons include cooler running engine? Less oil starvation in corners? etc.?

So...if there are strong reasons for it, is it wise (and hard) to retrofit onto a 2015-17 GT engine? Any significant advantages?

Very curious what the experts say on this one.

thanks

CVCashmere
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You can run 8 qts in the 2018 pan on the street, and then add 2 more quarts to 10 quarts total for track use. You will only need it if you are 285+ tread width on sub 200 tread wear rubber or slicks.

If tracking, you can also use it with the new pump M-6600-50.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6600-50

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Supposedly there have been a few reported issues with those 10 gt plastic oil pans leaking. Don’t know how wide spread that is. Anyone hear about that?

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Supposedly there have been a few reported issues with those 10 gt plastic oil pans leaking. Don’t know how wide spread that is. Anyone hear about that?
Mine started leaking before 1k miles. The dealership fixed it, and it's been fine since, though the repair did take over a week which sucked.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OK Ok...I was surprised to read how many quarts the 2018 GT requires!

I am guessing the reasons include cooler running engine? Less oil starvation in corners? etc.?

So...if there are strong reasons for it, is it wise (and hard) to retrofit onto a 2015-17 GT engine? Any significant advantages?

Very curious what the experts say on this one.

thanks

CVCashmere
It's a different engine, different oil pan, different oil pick-up, and different who-knows-what-else.

I would guess Ford did that more for oil-change intervals, rather than the reasons you've listed. I'm certain that oil starvation when cornering isn't one of them. If it was, engines would be failing left and right in these cars. And it's not cooling, because Ford has always over-sized their cooling systems, and the PP cars have oil-coolers and even larger radiators.

This is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
It's a different engine, different oil pan, different oil pick-up, and different who-knows-what-else.

I would guess Ford did that more for oil-change intervals, rather than the reasons you've listed. I'm certain that oil starvation when cornering isn't one of them. If it was, engines would be failing left and right in these cars. And it's not cooling, because Ford has always over-sized their cooling systems, and the PP cars have oil-coolers and even larger radiators.

This is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.
You said it bud. I can't see why 8 quarts wouldn't be enough for the engine.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Direct injection, a lot of fuel dilution.
^^ This, plus reliability. People stretching oil changes longer and making sure they are protected on engine warranties. I notice the intervals are pretty long on what is recommended for changes, keep getting longer and longer, and I know with synthetics / blends and other factors, this is possible, but oil still gets dirty. I'm doing my first change at 2k miles, then 5k mile intervals. Not following the oil life monitor or 10k mileage recommendation by Ford.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Yes, extra oil because of DI fuel contamination of the oil.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Would an oil separator be of any benefit?

From most things I've read a full synthetic will outlast the filter.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Something I read is that oil doesn't 'wear out', it just gets contaminated. Remove those contaminates...but unfortunately, easier said than done. Changing the oil and filter is the solution...

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I changed the oil in mine this past weekend. A full 10 quarts put the dip stick right in the middle. I'm guessing the engineers would not recommend running the car with 8 quarts.

My question is why would you even consider running less oil than what is recommended? Not being a smart ass, I just don't see a benefit but then again I am no expert in the matters of oil usage.

Of course this is off topic from the ops question about running 10 quarts in a 15-17. I have no clue as to an answer to that question.

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Cold my oil is about 3/4 up on the hash mark. Hot it is just below the top hole. I'm at 1200 miles and will change my oil soon to 5w30 MC synthetic blend. Not looking forward to the fire hydrant stream coming out of the pan lol.
LOL. I don't know how to stop the stream either. Good luck. I went with the recommend 5w20 Motorcraft.
Sponsored