BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So more ZL1 vs GT350R?
Yeah definitely more the former, but turned up to 12. Exceptionally competent handling, but not a track weapon as it's main purpose. All around FAST everywhere all the time. ZL1, 911 Turbo, GT-R...you get the idea.
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Yeah definitely more the former, but turned up to 12. Exceptionally competent handling, but not a track weapon as it's main purpose. All around FAST everywhere all the time. ZL1, 911 Turbo, GT-R...you get the idea.
I REALLY like the sounds of that. Couple questions are they going to use more lightweight material then we think or just enough to be under/around 4K? Also any chance they are using rear wheel steering? For the amount of time this is taking to come out I'm thinking the most special part of this car won't be the engine but everything else they design and engineer.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I REALLY like the sounds of that. Couple questions are they going to use more lightweight material then we think or just enough to be under/around 4K? Also any chance they are using rear wheel steering? For the amount of time this is taking to come out I'm thinking the most special part of this car won't be the engine but everything else they design and engineer.
Not privy to all the details unfortunately.

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
New fenders and hood (which is what's different for the GT350 sheetmetal) =/= new dash stampings, new front tower stampings, K-members and new transmission tunnel/underbody.

For a truly special car, I think you bought the right one, IMO. This thing is going to be an absolute beast and will decimate roads and other cars, and then take you home as if nothing ever happened (like GT-R, 911 Turbo). Would I choose one over a GT350R? Nope. Never. But that's just because of the types of attributes that I prefer.
Sorry, but how do you know all of this?

It sounds like they're benchmarking this car against the 911 Turbo and GT-R which are, despite their timid nature on the street, still track weapons. And both are turbocharged and not supercharged. And if this car can keep up with either of those around a track like VIR without overheating then I'll eat my hat and upload the video to youtube.

How is it possible that Ford developed the S550 to accommodate a 6 cyl turbo but cannot accommodate a high-output variant? A 3.5 with forged internals and better cooling certainly ticks the packaging box but maybe not the cost box? If a TT V8 was an impossibility in this platform from day one then it sounds like Ford engineers lacked serious vision as to the full lifecycle of this platform.

I'm still extremely disappointed, and others here obviously share my thoughts, that Ford thought it appropriate to chase the wax and cruise crowd like the last GT500 instead of taking the GT350 and dialing it up a few levels of performance. We already have the Dodge cars. We don't want that with a Ford badge slapped on the front.

We don't necessarily care about 'Ring times, we know this car isn't going to put up a 7:14 like the ZL1 1LE, but Ford really needs to focus on satisfying those of us who want Corvette-like performance in a Ford instead of going after gray-hair dollars with another boulevard cruiser that can put down 1 or 2 glory laps.

Last edited:

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Sorry, but how do you know all of
We don't necessarily care about 'Ring times, we know this car isn't going to put up a 6:14 like the ZL1 1LE, but Ford really needs to focus on satisfying those of us who want Corvette-like performance in a Ford instead of going after gray-hair dollars with another boulevard cruiser that can put down 1 or 2 glory laps.
Think you mean a 7:14 but I get your point. This is were I think 2 SE models would make total sense, a direct competitor to ZL1/1LE and another that raises the bar (90k-100k) to Z06 or higher performance.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

It sounds like they're benchmarking this car against the 911 Turbo and GT-R which are, despite their timid nature on the street, still track weapons. And both are turbocharged and not supercharged. And if this car can keep up with either of those around a track like VIR without overheating then I'll eat my hat and upload the video to youtube.

How is it possible that Ford developed the S550 to accommodate a 6 cyl turbo but cannot accommodate a high-output variant? A 3.5 with forged internals and better cooling certainly ticks the packaging box but maybe not the cost box? If a TT V8 was an impossibility in this platform from day one then it sounds like Ford engineers lacked serious vision as to the full lifecycle of this platform.

I'm still extremely disappointed, and others here obviously share my thoughts, that Ford thought it appropriate to chase the wax and cruise crowd like the last GT500 instead of taking the GT350 and dialing it up a few levels of performance. We already have the Dodge cars. We don't want that with a Ford badge slapped on the front.

We don't necessarily care about 'Ring times, we know this car isn't going to put up a 6:14 like the ZL1 1LE, but Ford really needs to focus on satisfying those of us who want Corvette-like performance in a Ford instead of going after gray-hair dollars with another boulevard cruiser that can put down 1 or 2 glory laps.
Tried to, but for various reasons it, nor the 2.7L EB V6 fit without major tear-up. Also, as stated previously, just because someone can take a 3.7L car and put some turbos on it, does not mean it actually packages to rigorously-determined design standards and would meet emissions (which none of the aftermarket packages do, because no cats). The same applies to all the 5.0L twin turbo kits. "Fit" does not mean "fit correctly".

FYI the engineers who do the work are not the ones saying "this is the powertrain we want in it". Powertrain planning and vehicle engineering are the two big groups that determine these sorts of things, and they determine what packages work best for the goals of the platforms. All the packages are simulated for performance, and cost, complexity and investment is estimated. All of these variables are weighed and considered. Automotive engineering isn't, "stuff this in there, or make it fit". Sometimes that's done, but rarely. The Vehicle Line Chief, Raj Nair and various other senior folks know what the goals are of this specific model, and the S550 platform as a whole. Their interests are to find the best overall balance.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
They still have 5 more performance models before 2020 after this GT500, or whatever its called. And regarding the lap time. What makes you think it couldnt beat a zl1 l1e? im a betting man, and i bet a race variant of it comes along and im sure it will be a hog but haul ass...at least for a couple laps

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!

That's not what the history of gt500s are. Incase you didn't know. You want a vette or viper performance, you buy cars in that bracket. The gt500 is not for those people. Why must so many people make it something it's not. If Chevy wants to bastardize the history of their badges and what they used to always mean, let them.

Last edited:

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
FORD, PLEASE TEST THIS IN HOTTER CLIMATES!

GT3 destroys vettes in Texas summer heat.

Please make sure this will hang with a 6 x 30 min session at MSR Cresson, MSR Houston, Harris Hill, Driveway Austin, etc.
Hit up Uvalde PG, Fort Stockton PG etc soon to get your real thermal test.

Nevermind testing at COTA and TWS, the fast course and long straights give a failed sense of cooling system capacity.
Don't worry. They test all their high performance cars and trucks in the much hotter deserts of Arizona and SoCa near Death Valley. I've seen them on road and in tracks in 112 degree heat. Don't worry. Testing in MI in the summer with 85-92 degree heat and high humidity is better suited to TX across to FL.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

You should buy a GT350R, btw. It has what you're looking for.

Sponsored

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
This one is wearing Pirellis. Hmmm. I will be there in a few weeks to talk about the testing and progress.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Lots of folks want this and that but it aint happening. Thats why there are other markets to HOPEFULLY find what youre after. This GT500, or whatever its called, will be a hell of a machine. Easter egg at 9.87?! Holy smokes... without DRs? Yikes!
Im starting to change my tune. Ill keep an open mind on this one

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Lots of folks want this and that but it aint happening. Thats why there are other markets to HOPEFULLY find what youre after. This GT500, or whatever its called, will be a hell of a machine. Easter egg at 9.87?! Holy smokes... without DRs? Yikes!
Im starting to change my tune. Ill keep an open mind on this one
Can you post this egg? Or the link. I bet that it would be with DRs. No way is it running that with even sport cup 2's. There has to be some wizardry in that suspension!!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Its on the MT site. Click on the photos. Youll know the dash when you see it.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-ford-mustang-starts-26485/

BmicIL noted in another thread the demons time would be faster because its on DRs and has a stall converter. This however WOULD be an excellent time if true, which im leaning toward believing. Its not like those wide 325 MPSS'S dont grab... especially with a well tuned suspension and DCT.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
You'd be amazed at how much it cost to do that engine vs. what it would cost to retool and validate all those parts. Ford couldn't have done it (at anywhere near the MSRP they have) without having the Coyote as base for almost everything. Hood and fenders are cheap and only semi-structural.
I like to think in have a pretty decent idea of the ballpark.

Your point is well taken.

My point is that it's not impossible. And though it will cost, such can be mitigated and amortized. Ultimately the SC is the cheaper route. That's a given. The TT is clearly the more ambitious route. Either way we are looking at a killer "Pony Car" that outgrows such nomenclature. We could have A V8 TT.

It's more a question of how much does Ford want to strategically push the 550 before the 650 is out.
Sponsored