Sponsored

2019 GT500 Caught Benchmarking Porsche 911 GT3

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
The car will be supercharged. Release is supposedly Fall 2018.
So we're getting another car for old men who like to go on "cruises". Zzzz

Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on a GT350 after all. This car needed to be a twin turbo w/ forged everything and instead we're getting a half-assed tuner car that any lazy performance shop in Texas could slap together in a weekend. What a major disappointment.

I really wish someone at Ford would go out and buy a $200k 911 GT2, reverse engineer it, and sell it for $100k. A real drivers car that is ALSO quick as hell in the quarter like the GT-R and 911 Turbo. I'll keep dreaming.
Sponsored

Joker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT
I couldn't find the article, but couple days ago, I read on a future magazine article the new halo mustang is staying as a 5.0 super charged and makes around 680hp. I'm trying to find the article but can't find it. It was either road and track or motor trend or since been taken down. Maybe someone can find that info. Although I doubt that article is going to be 100% spot on anyways.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis

Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on a GT350 after all. This car needed to be a twin turbo w/ forged everything and instead we're getting a half-assed tuner car that any lazy performance shop in Texas could slap together in a weekend. What a major disappointment.

I really wish someone at Ford would go out and buy a $200k 911 GT2, reverse engineer it, and sell it for $100k. A real drivers car that is ALSO quick as hell in the quarter like the GT-R and 911 Turbo. I'll keep dreaming.
With 800 to 850 HP stock with a DCT and you dont think it will be fast in the quarter? They are also benching against a zl1 and i imagine a ZL1L1e. It will be a fast track car too, im certain. But get that 350 because its a great experience.

Joker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

And why would you think it would not be comparable in every aspect to these cars? They're not building a Demon.

It does not NEED twin turbos to be "right". Thinking that is extremely simple-minded and shows little understanding for how automotive product development works.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I couldn't find the article, but couple days ago, I read on a future magazine article the new halo mustang is staying as a 5.0 super charged and makes around 680hp. I'm trying to find the article but can't find it. It was either road and track or motor trend or since been taken down. Maybe someone can find that info. Although I doubt that article is going to be 100% spot on anyways.
Way off, as far as credible sources here say. Think demon power.

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
And why would you think it would not be comparable in every aspect to these cars? They're not building a Demon.

It does not NEED twin turbos to be "right". Thinking that is extremely simple-minded and shows little understanding for how automotive product development works.
So Ford seems to know something that McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz don't know, which is that superchargers are a better fit for a street-driven sports car than turbochargers. Or maybe Ford is just interested in using affordable power-adder solutions like GM?

I'm not professing to be an expert on product development but I do know that turbochargers are far, far more common in motorsport than superchargers are and I am certain there are reasons for that related to performance and durability.

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
With 800 to 850 HP stock with a DCT and you dont think it will be fast in the quarter? They are also benching against a zl1 and i imagine a ZL1L1e. It will be a fast track car too, im certain. But get that 350 because its a great experience.
I'm sure it will be a beast in the quarter, but at what expense to the driving experience? If they can pull off both, hats off to them.

Joker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

I assume because those two cars you put in bold are AWD and don't have issues putting power down but other then that it seems like it can be everything those cars are and then some.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
BmacIL you did once suggest something regarding the way the power was put down. Something that would be impossible for ZL1 to match. Nothing besides AWD comes to mind. How else could 800+hp be harnessed? Either that or some seriously tricky diff innovation. Maybe a transaxle box for more weight over the rear.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
BmacIL you did once suggest something regarding the way the power was put down. Something that would be impossible for ZL1 to match. Nothing besides AWD comes to mind. How else could 800+hp be harnessed? Either that or some seriously tricky diff innovation. Maybe a transaxle box for more weight over the rear.
I've been trying to figure that out as well! I'm very interested to see the engineering on this one.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
IMO these pictures are purely just to throw people off. You can benchmark the GT3 but why on the street? We already know the Porsche is going to be way more refined.

I would be more excited if they were on their way to a track somewhere. This is publicity.

It could just be to show that they benchmarked it for 1/4 mile times. The GT3 is gnarly fast in the 1/4.
They killed the GT3 in the grocery-getting benchmark.

Job one is done.

Now, onto the track...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So Ford seems to know something that McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz don't know, which is that superchargers are a better fit for a street-driven sports car than turbochargers. Or maybe Ford is just interested in using affordable power-adder solutions like GM?

I'm not professing to be an expert on product development but I do know that turbochargers are far, far more common in motorsport than superchargers are and I am certain there are reasons for that related to performance and durability.
1. Packaging
2. Cost

Just because you see aftermarket turbo kits does not mean they meet even half the criteria for putting them in a production vehicle in this body. A Supercharger is not inherently going to make the car overheat (as posted earlier). That is a frontal and cooling area problem in the vette. The ZL1 and 1LE variant have no such issue.

Jag has a supercharged sports car that people seem to love. Audi does it on their V6.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No one wants a ~$100k Mustang because it needed all new front end structure/sheet metal and underbody, bespoke to a low volume model.
Sponsored