Sponsored

What's the difference between LT headers and shorty headers?

Mustang21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt pp
I wanna know the comparison between the two. Can you still pass va emissions with LT headers? Is it worth to buy the short headers?
Sponsored

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
long tubes are long, short tubes are short.

:ninja: really though sub'd for a discussion on this

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Shorty's are somewhat pointless as the OEM ones are actual shorty headers (with smaller collector). LT's are simply proven to make more power. We've sold plenty of LT's to Virginia for 11-16 cars without any issues thus far.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The Coyote engine comes with already quite good factory tubular headers. Switching to aftermarket shorty headers really doesn't improve much. Longtube headers increase exhaust flow significantly and can yield up to 20-25rwhp gains over stock.

Longtube headers eliminate the factory catalytic converters which means technically they fail emissions and are actually illegal to install on emissions-controlled street vehicles. There are ways to get around this but if you are not ready for the hassle I'd recommend keeping the factory headers and cats.

Another downside to longtube headers beside legality is how loud the exhaust can be especially with a catback exhaust system. You will sound like a racecar and will draw a lot of attention.

Sponsored

FivePointToTheOh

USN Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT/CS

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Coyote engine comes with already quite good factory tubular headers. Switching to aftermarket shorty headers really doesn't improve much. Longtube headers increase exhaust flow significantly and can yield up to 20-25rwhp gains over stock.

Longtube headers eliminate the factory catalytic converters which means technically they fail emissions and are actually illegal to install on emissions-controlled street vehicles. There are ways to get around this but if you are not ready for the hassle I'd recommend keeping the factory headers and cats.

Another downside to longtube headers beside legality is how loud the exhaust can be especially with a catback exhaust system. You will sound like a racecar and will draw a lot of attention.

Awesome info. Basically answered all the questions I came in this thread for.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Also some other info from what I've learned in the past (correct me if I'm wrong guys). Short Tube headers give you more power on top end, Long Tube headers give you good torque on low end and also give you good top end power but not as much as shorties on the top end. Long Tubes tend to give you well rounded power, but you really feel it on the low end.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
depends on the size of the long tubes how they react on power / torque.

you shouldn't have any issues if you stay with a catted set of headers.

beef
513-478-1965

let me know if we can help at all

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Here's a video I found with some more information.

[ame]

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Also some other info from what I've learned in the past (correct me if I'm wrong guys). Short Tube headers give you more power on top end, Long Tube headers give you good torque on low end and also give you good top end power but not as much as shorties on the top end. Long Tubes tend to give you well rounded power, but you really feel it on the low end.

There really hasn't been a trend to support that when talking about the Coyote engine. Basically installing longtube headers increases power throughout the powerband, shorty headers just less so. Changes to the tune will have a more drastic effect to the power curve than just what type of exhaust manifold is bolted to the engine.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
There really hasn't been a trend to support that when talking about the Coyote engine. Basically installing longtube headers increases power throughout the powerband, shorty headers just less so. Changes to the tune will have a more drastic effect to the power curve than just what type of exhaust manifold is bolted to the engine.
That's how the HEMIs responded to those headers. I figured the response might be the same.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
well the 15-16 cars are less than two years old, so if you have a car with long tubes, it's at best what a year and a half old? So your Virginia inspection/emissions will be due by this coming fall of 2016, and then we'll see who fails and who doesn't.

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
I've been considering getting the MAK Cat deletes and welding flanges on the stock cats and cat delete pipes (so I can swap the two out easily, if need be) because I live in CA and they don't like us to have anything fun. Would eliminating the cats this way give me gains close to what adding long tube headers would be? Seems like if the gains are relatively close, the difference in cost for LT headers wouldn't be worth it.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
I've been considering getting the MAK Cat deletes and welding flanges on the stock cats and cat delete pipes (so I can swap the two out easily, if need be) because I live in CA and they don't like us to have anything fun. Would eliminating the cats this way give me gains close to what adding long tube headers would be? Seems like if the gains are relatively close, the difference in cost for LT headers wouldn't be worth it.
kinda. might be like splitting the difference. I've been considering this route too, since I live in VA, and don't want to eff around with being catless and being screwed when it's emissions/inspection time.
Sponsored