Sponsored

Sync 3 + Waze

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Part of the licensing that Ford does with map providers is that the initial map is included in the license, but future updates need to be paid for by the consumer. It's part Ford cheaping out, and part the map company protecting future profits.

In any case, Waze and Google Maps using Android Auto is far superior to anything else out there. I'm happy there will finally be native Waze support, but it won't be anywhere near enough to make me stop using Android Auto.

JR
Well considering you get the full Waze experience with Applink vs the watered down version on AA I would rather use the Applink version. This is even better for those of us using iPhones since CarPlay is dumb about allowing Waze.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Well considering you get the full Waze experience with Applink vs the watered down version on AA I would rather use the Applink version. This is even better for those of us using iPhones since CarPlay is dumb about allowing Waze.
What 'full' Waze experience? I used Waze without AA before (on my phone) and now use Waze with AA on my Sync system. There are a couple fewer options, and you can't access user preferences, like your picture or your points scores, but why do you need that stuff on your infotainment system?

Also, it's Apple that's being dumb. I don't mean to turn this into an iPhone vs. Android argument, but you can always step away from the walled garden.

JR

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Can you make an incident on the road or locate a cop using AA?
Yup. There are on-road and shoulder options, and it updates the regular map for other users with no problem. You can also give thumbs up on incidents that other Wazers have reported.

JR

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
This is great news! Even more incentive to move to an 18. (I realize I could just do a sync swap BTW).

Sponsored

OP
OP

fordracerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FJG M1
I have both an iPhone X and a Nexus 6P. The Nexus was specifically a "car phone" that I kept in the console for Waze. I found the AA experience itself to be a bit more organized than Apple's, but AA+Waze had too many bugs for me.

Been using Apple Maps on CarPlay for a while now, and although it is better than it was it still stinks.

Regarding switching to Android, it's to each his own. I personally use iOS for security. I work at a company that has an iOS/Android app with 3m+ downloads. We have been approached by countless providers of what we call scraper SDK's. They track the phone calls you make, websites you visit, text messages you send, etc. While financially compelling, we have always said NO to these SDKs. I can't see every company saying no, and that's what scares me about Android.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I already have Sync 3 3.0 on my car when I did the upgrade a couple of months ago (using the "unofficial" 3.0 update). Wonder if I will be all set once Waze updates their app?

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I already have Sync 3 3.0 on my car when I did the upgrade a couple of months ago (using the "unofficial" 3.0 update). Wonder if I will be all set once Waze updates their app?
3 months later there will be a newer version coming out, that will be compatible with waze.. just like when 2017s came with 2.2 then we got the 2.3 out for download.. my guess is 3.2 will be coming out..something newer than the version that comes with 2018s

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
3 months later there will be a newer version coming out, that will be compatible with waze.. just like when 2017s came with 2.2 then we got the 2.3 out for download.. my guess is 3.2 will be coming out..something newer than the version that comes with 2018s
According to the press releases, Waze should work with version 3.0. I understand there may never be an "official" 3.0 for 2016/17s, but if I have an unofficial version 3.0 on my system, won't the software just think it is a 2018? I didn't think the software discriminated against the MY in any way?

I think the only thing might be that the unofficial 3.0 doesn't support Waze, while the official 3.0 would. I guess I'll find out once Waze starts working for the 2018 guys :D

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
According to the press releases, Waze should work with version 3.0. I understand there may never be an "official" 3.0 for 2016/17s, but if I have an unofficial version 3.0 on my system, won't the software just think it is a 2018? I didn't think the software discriminated against the MY in any way?

I think the only thing might be that the unofficial 3.0 doesn't support Waze, while the official 3.0 would. I guess I'll find out once Waze starts working for the 2018 guys :D
I see your point, but you gotta also remember: around the time that we installed unofficial 3.0 it wasn't tested on this upcoming waze, and the 2018s coming out might have a higher build number while its still 3.0, simply with the cabability of making waze work?

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I noticed an update to the Waze IOS app this morning. It stated it was being updated to support in car entertainment systems. I am on travel right now and can't test it out but if someone has a sync 3 3.0 system and waze installed and updated, I would suggest trying it to see what happens.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I noticed an update to the Waze IOS app this morning. It stated it was being updated to support in car entertainment systems. I am on travel right now and can't test it out but if someone has a sync 3 3.0 system and waze installed and updated, I would suggest trying it to see what happens.
I just downloaded it on my iphone, Ill try it here shortly

**Im on the unofficial 3.0 and the updated Waze DOES NOT work on Sync 3**

Last edited:

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I just downloaded it on my iphone, Ill try it here shortly

**Im on the unofficial 3.0 and the updated Waze DOES NOT work on Sync 3**
Same here. I toggled on "mobile apps" on Sync, and disabled Carplay in case that gets in the way. Updated Waze to latest and still nothing. Verified Waze had "control Waze from car unit" toggled on as well. I am also on the unofficial 3.0.

Anyone with a 2018 can confirm? Did all 2018s ship with 3.0?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Same here. I toggled on "mobile apps" on Sync, and disabled Carplay in case that gets in the way. Updated Waze to latest and still nothing. Verified Waze had "control Waze from car unit" toggled on as well. I am also on the unofficial 3.0.

Anyone with a 2018 can confirm? Did all 2018s ship with 3.0?
As far as I know, all 18s shipped with official 3.0 software. So if it still doesn’t work on a 2018 then it’s either Ford or Waze that still needs to update their systems.
Sponsored