Sponsored

Different Driving Modes

LightningEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Hey guys I just bought a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost and I’m loving it so far!!!
I’m just a little confused about the driving modes what’s the difference between sport on the toggle switches and sport on the shifter. I really can’t tell a difference thanks:)
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Hey guys I just bought a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost and I’m loving it so far!!!
I’m just a little confused about the driving modes what’s the difference between sport on the toggle switches and sport on the shifter. I really can’t tell a difference thanks:)
Drive mode settings (normal, sport plus, track, wet/snow, drag) influence traction control and stability control "intervention levels" as well as steering "feel". They may also influence shift points in D and/or S but I won't know until I get my car and/or get the service manual CD. Shifter D vs S influence transmission shifting characteristics including shift points and paddle (select shift) control.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I’ve noticed (on a GT) Sport+ holds gears longer than Sport and that the throttle response is slightly more aggressive, but that could be placebo. The main difference is that shifting down to the S allows full manual control with the paddles - leaving it in drive has the computer take back over after a few seconds of tapping a paddle to force an up/down shift.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
If you use the shifter to go to sport it won't change your steering setting. I like mine on comfort and if I use the toggle it changes it to normal if I recall. Atleast that's how mine works on an '16.

Last edited:

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
The shifter S setting only affects the transmission. The drive modes switch affect Steering feel, Traction Control, Stability control and Throttle response. It does not affect the engine as far as how much power it makes.
It will feel like the engine makes more power in Sport+ and Track because the throttle mapping is more aggressive, i.e. you are getting more throttle for the same amount of pedal movement compared with the normal mode. The opposite happens with Snow/Wet. You are getting less throttle for the same amount of pedal movement, so it feels like the engine has lost power. No matter the mode, pressing the pedal to the floor will yield full throttle.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Normal = Normal...

Sport/Sport+ = More sensitive throttle response, changes auto transmission behavior (holds gear longer, rev matching downshifts, downshifts easily), slightly desensitizes traction control.

Track = More sensitive throttle, auto transmission behavior (holds gear longer, rev matching downshifts, downshifts easily), traction control off

Snow/Wet = Desensitized throttle, AT upshifts as soon as possible.

Driving in D, when you use the paddle shifters the ECU takes over again a few seconds later.

S on the shifter puts the car into sport mode and will not overrride you once you use the paddle shifters "manual mode".

If you use the shifter to go to sport it won't change your steering setting. I like mine on comfort and if I use the toggle it changes it to normal if I recall. Atleast that's how mine works on an '16.
This.

If you put the shifter into S it will go into Sport mode but won't change the steering mode. If you use the toggle to go into Sport+ it will automatically change to Sport steering mode.

FWIW I cannot find any difference between Sport and Sport+ other than that Sport+ automatically engages Sport steering.

The shifter S setting only affects the transmission.
This is not true. Shifting to S puts it into "manual" mode once the paddles are used, but it also puts the car into Sport mode (throttle mapping, etc.)

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I like how the S+ shifts and holds the gear when accelerating and cruising. However I can not stand how it down shifts!!! I will start to slow down for a red light and almost every gear it down shifts it revs the engine like I am trying to show off my exhaust! lol.
Then if I accelerate real hard and then left the gas, it holds that gear for like for ever! I am like shift already!!!!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like how the S+ shifts and holds the gear when accelerating and cruising. However I can not stand how it down shifts!!! I will start to slow down for a red light and almost every gear it down shifts it revs the engine like I am trying to show off my exhaust! lol.
Then if I accelerate real hard and then left the gas, it holds that gear for like for ever! I am like shift already!!!!
My impression also.

Based on the little driving I've been able to do in the few days I've had the car before "snow" my impression is that shifter position S is for serious open track or isolated high speed back road stuff. Especially in Drive Modes S+ and Track. Around town and suburban/semi-rural driving with low speed limits, traffic, driveways, etc. simply aren't the intended uses unless you use the paddles instead of automatic shifting. My impressions of D, at least with the GT, are very positive so far in real world driving. I suspect that the main "value" of S will be the ability to control shifting with the paddles. For automatic shifting staying in D. S might work in autocross if it holds gears well but I suspect manual shifting will be better.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Drag mode ftw!!!!!! Lol

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My impression also.

Based on the little driving I've been able to do in the few days I've had the car before "snow" my impression is that shifter position S is for serious open track or isolated high speed back road stuff. Especially in Drive Modes S+ and Track. Around town and suburban/semi-rural driving with low speed limits, traffic, driveways, etc. simply aren't the intended uses unless you use the paddles instead of automatic shifting. My impressions of D, at least with the GT, are very positive so far in real world driving. I suspect that the main "value" of S will be the ability to control shifting with the paddles. For automatic shifting staying in D. S might work in autocross if it holds gears well but I suspect manual shifting will be better.
The 2018 S+ doesn’t compare to his 2015 S+ in the sense of downshifting. The 2018, when I test drove was a little 200-ish rpm rev match burble on down shifts, my 2016 jumps nearly 600-700rpm and makes you sound like a tweener driving their first manual, it throws so much sudden torque that the front end lifts up a bit from the pull - it’s beyond annoying :p
I heard that the Ford Racing tune fixes it, though.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2018 S+ doesn’t compare to his 2015 S+ in the sense of downshifting. The 2018, when I test drove was a little 200-ish rpm rev match burble on down shifts, my 2016 jumps nearly 600-700rpm and makes you sound like a tweener driving their first manual, it throws so much sudden torque that the front end lifts up a bit from the pull - it’s beyond annoying :p
I heard that the Ford Racing tune fixes it, though.
Oops! For some reason I assumed he was describing an 18 10A. Maybe because I just bought one. :doh:

Sorry about that. :)

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oops! For some reason I assumed he was describing an 18 10A. Maybe because I just bought one. :doh:

Sorry about that. :)
Nothing to be sorry about! The 18 auto handles Sport+ and Track mode much better than the 15-17 auto in terms of downshifting, the only way you’d know is if you’ve driven both. :)

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I agree 100%. This is why I usually drive in D and accelerate in S. Best of both worlds
Sponsored