Cold and summer only don't mix

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
What summer tires were you using? My MPSS have been good to me even in chilly temps (around 35F and up) theyre usable.

If you're running 2 separate sets of wheels you'll need to buy a set of TPMS sensors for our cars. You can get them through PK Auto Design or American Muscle, etc. If you're only running one set of wheels you can have the shop remove the sensors in your existing wheels and install them into the new ones. A set is usually around $100 and they do NOT need to be programmed. Once you drive with the new sensors for ~20mi the car will sense them and "seld-program". No need to buy a programmer.
Found them for $44 shipped here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-FOR-FORD-MOTORCRAFT-SET-4-TIRE-PRESSURE-MONITORING-SENSORS-TPMS-Genuine/262771491681?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AMustang&epid=2113503463&hash=item3d2e66c361:g:MyYAAOSwWGlZ2tW0&vxp=mtr

Looks like they screw into the stems....still use a short/standard stem or are they the longer ones?

Thanks
Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Got rid then Pzeros as well with 5500 mi on them. Got Firestone Indy 500s. Much better in any condition.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The description shows them only working for 2010-2014 mustangs. Not sure if the 15+ are different but it looks like they may be.

Some of them use a short metal stem and others use a long rubber stem. Not sure which are OEM and which are aftermarket but I have both on my two sets of wheels lol. Both seem to work fine but I prefer the metal stem as they dont move around when trying to put air in them.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The description shows them only working for 2010-2014 mustangs. Not sure if the 15+ are different but it looks like they may be.

Some of them use a short metal stem and others use a long rubber stem. Not sure which are OEM and which are aftermarket but I have both on my two sets of wheels lol. Both seem to work fine but I prefer the metal stem as they dont move around when trying to put air in them.
Good observation, I didn't notice that.

I only asked about the stem because I have 20-30 of them sitting in my garage that I bought a couple years ago for my other cars. It'd be nice to save the $10-$20 and just use those. They are the short/standard. But that seems to be what size I'm seeing in all the pics attached to the sensors.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got rid then Pzeros as well with 5500 mi on them. Got Firestone Indy 500s. Much better in any condition.
Looks like a good tire but it's a Summer "high performance" tire....I want something that can handle pavement in the 20's-30's safely enough to drive around without sliding so I'm going to avoid the Summers altogether.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a good tire but it's a Summer "high performance" tire....I want something that can handle pavement in the 20's-30's safely enough to drive around without sliding so I'm going to avoid the Summers altogether.
They can. Ask [MENTION=25009]millhouse[/MENTION]. My coworker also drove on them in the 20s without drama before he put the car away.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Good observation, I didn't notice that.

I only asked about the stem because I have 20-30 of them sitting in my garage that I bought a couple years ago for my other cars. It'd be nice to save the $10-$20 and just use those. They are the short/standard. But that seems to be what size I'm seeing in all the pics attached to the sensors.
Any TPMS sensor you buy is going to come with the valve stem, so you dont need to worry about it.

I still say MPSS could handle high 20's and up with reasonable driving, and give you much better summer performance. It's under 25F though that you have to worry about the rubber compound cracking. DWS06 definitely get my vote for an All Season though. I have the feeling you are fearing a summer tire because your previous ones are P Zeros. Not all summer tires suck that bad lol.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any TPMS sensor you buy is going to come with the valve stem, so you dont need to worry about it.

I still say MPSS could handle high 20's and up with reasonable driving, and give you much better summer performance. It's under 25F though that you have to worry about the rubber compound cracking. DWS06 definitely get my vote for an All Season though. I have the feeling you are fearing a summer tire because your previous ones are P Zeros. Not all summer tires suck that bad lol.

Good to know on the stems.

The DWS 06 gets excellent reviews on tire-rack. I'm curious what kind of mileage I can expect though? I usually get 20-30k out of my walmart cheapies (douglas) in my Subaru's. It'd be nice to get at least 20k out of a better quality tire on my Mustang. Is that realistic with "spirited" driving or will even the best and most expensive tires still come in right around 10k for these cars?

One improvement will be that I'll be able to rotate the wheels from here forward....or whenever mine come back in stock that I can order them.

Thanks

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Good to know on the stems.

The DWS 06 gets excellent reviews on tire-rack. I'm curious what kind of mileage I can expect though? I usually get 20-30k out of my walmart cheapies (douglas) in my Subaru's. It'd be nice to get at least 20k out of a better quality tire on my Mustang. Is that realistic with "spirited" driving or will even the best and most expensive tires still come in right around 10k for these cars?

One improvement will be that I'll be able to rotate the wheels from here forward....or whenever mine come back in stock that I can order them.

Thanks
Treadlife on the DWS06 is rated at 50k miles.

Personally even with spirited driving and spinning the rear wheels constantly with ~700whp, I've managed to beat the treadlife specs on my MPSS. So 50k is a rough estimate, you may get a little more or a little less, but probably more. They usually say 1/2 mileage in the rear for staggered wheels and RWD. My MPSS are rated at only 30k. I managed 23k out of the rears and fronts look less than 1/3 worn. Treadlife specs be damned :D

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Treadlife on the DWS06 is rated at 50k miles.

Personally even with spirited driving and spinning the rear wheels constantly with ~700whp, I've managed to beat the treadlife specs on my MPSS. So 50k is a rough estimate, you may get a little more or a little less, but probably more. They usually say 1/2 mileage in the rear for staggered wheels and RWD. My MPSS are rated at only 30k. I managed 23k out of the rears and fronts look less than 1/3 worn. Treadlife specs be damned :D
Oh ok. Wow! That's great! I was thinking that tires would be an annual expense after seeing how the Pzero's performed. Great to know they'll last me 4-5 years since I only will be putting 6k-8k on per year.

Thanks!! :)

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oh ok. Wow! That's great! I was thinking that tires would be an annual expense after seeing how the Pzero's performed. Great to know they'll last me 4-5 years since I only will be putting 6k-8k on per year.

Thanks!! :)
FWIW, I got 40k out of a set of MPSS on my last car, and that included 3 autocrosses and a track day.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've driven them in the teens so far and they have been holding up great. They may be listed as a summer tire, but they certainly don't show sings of hardening up the way the pirellis did.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I took a drive to West Virginia a few weeks ago on one of my days off. It was a frigid, cold day (20s). It's almost a 300 miles round trip. I got caught in some snow while I was up there. Roads were covered in snow and slush. I have the NT555 G2's. To my surprise they did really well. The only thing I made sure to do was to make sure I didn't toss too much torque to the rear but they stayed planted the whole time. I lost traction in the rear due to all the damn pebbles they spread on the road there than the actual snow.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've driven them in the teens so far and they have been holding up great. They may be listed as a summer tire, but they certainly don't show sings of hardening up the way the pirellis did.
One of the first reviews on tire rack for the Pilot 4S says they turned into "hockey pucks" in the cold.

Again, I'll just feel better with the all seasons vs. chancing anything with the summer only.

Thanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a car and it's a mustang
Are the DWS06 the consensus for an all-season replacement for the P-Zeros?

~$900 for a replacement is pricey, but is it worth it over other cheaper tires?
Sponsored