Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Only downfall is I wished I already had my oil pump gear and sprocket easy job when the engine has not been put in yet.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to everyone who is having an oil cooler failure. I am one of those that is very worried about one of these happening to my car, as I only drive around 4,000k/m per year and possibly will happen to me when my car is out of warranty.
I sent an email to Ford New Zealand utilising Peter’s letter (Bushranger) with some changes for New Zealand law, I have listed the letter as well as the reply.
My car was built on the 20-08-2015.
Unfortunately not a good outcome.

Ford New Zealand Reply:

Dear Peter,

Re: Potential Oil Cooler Failure - Ford Mustang 2016-2017 GT

Thank you for your e-mail to Ford Motor Company of New Zealand Limited (Ford New Zealand).

In response to your email, we can advise that we have checked your vehicle and there are no outstanding Recalls or Field Service Actions on your vehicle.

If you are experiencing any further concerns or have any questions, please contact your local Ford Dealership.

In the interim, if you need to contact us directly, please feel free to call the Ford Customer Relations Team on 0800 367 369, or alternatively email [email protected].

Kind regards,

Customer Relationship Centre
Ford Motor Company of New Zealand Limited
Postal address: Private Bag 76912, Manukau City 2241, New Zealand

I did a service on my car today and took a photo of the oil cooler looks OK at this stage.

Curious. The 2018 oil cooler appears to be a different design
2018-10be-box-ford-mustang.png

I wonder if it’s retro fit able

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Nick do you know if that's a lhd or rhd lump?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I’m assuming it’s lhd. But if you look at the shape of the cooler it’s different from our my15-17 rhd cars. My understanding is that our cars use the same cooler as lhd cars but located in a different position on the end of a cast manifold. I might be wrong on that, not having a lhd car to compare with. Our coolers are more rectangular in shape and both water pipes exit on the same side.

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
That is LHD drive engine pictured. Definitely a different design oil cooler to the problamatic RHD coolers.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
That is LHD drive engine pictured. Definitely a different design oil cooler to the problamatic RHD coolers.
Looking at the new design above I’m wondering if this could sit between manifold and oil filter on the rhd mil. Then use a street fighter bypass manifold up where the rhd cooler fits to complete the oil circuit.

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Looking at the new design above I’m wondering if this could sit between manifold and oil filter on the rhd mil. Then use a street fighter bypass manifold up where the rhd cooler fits to complete the oil circuit.
Unfortunately there is no room on the RHD Mustang to do this , therefore the reason Ford has re-located to the rear of the lh engine area via the manifold.

Sponsored

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Unfortunately there is no room on the RHD Mustang to do this , therefore the reason Ford has re-located to the rear of the lh engine area via the manifold.
What is in the way and stopping us?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
What is in the way and stopping us?
If memory serves its the elictric motor for the steering rack.

So the street fighter black alloy bit can bolt to the rhd stock oil manifold to remove the stock cooler and complete the oil pathway. Then you use a sandwich plate under the filter which pushes the filter out a little but not so far it just the steering rack. Then you need an oil cooler solution to plumb into the sandwich plate. You can use an air / oil cooler like the mmr one. Or you can use a liquid/oil one (just a better quality aftermarket one) and locate it in a more sensible place. E.g up front behind the radiator where it doesn’t get heat soak.

In Australia I guess the air/oil system makes good sense, but here in the UK I would opt for the liquid/oil solution to warm the oil faster from our lower ambient temps.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
so the cat's out of the bag now !
Very interested to see how Ford reacts to out of warranty issues when some journalist or consumer group ask the question

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
If memory serves its the elictric motor for the steering rack.

So the street fighter black alloy bit can bolt to the rhd stock oil manifold to remove the stock cooler and complete the oil pathway. Then you use a sandwich plate under the filter which pushes the filter out a little but not so far it just the steering rack. Then you need an oil cooler solution to plumb into the sandwich plate. You can use an air / oil cooler like the mmr one. Or you can use a liquid/oil one (just a better quality aftermarket one) and locate it in a more sensible place. E.g up front behind the radiator where it doesn’t get heat soak.

In Australia I guess the air/oil system makes good sense, but here in the UK I would opt for the liquid/oil solution to warm the oil faster from our lower ambient temps.
Our Streetfighter package includes all that you require and is a dedicated fit. It also includes a thermostat housed in the sandwich plate to ensure quick oil warm up times.
More info -
https://www.kpmmotorsport.com.au/product/streetfighter-engine-oil-cooler-package-gt-v8/
Sponsored