Sponsored

Lund tune on an Auto

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
Anyone got a Lund tune in their auto transmission GT. I am interested in what the shifting is like between gears -the stock programming is a bit "mushy" but reading the US reviews of the Lund tune the shifts can be quite "firm" (maybe too firm, but yes it is programmable)?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Lund tunes the auto to shift very firm and quick. However it varies based on throttle/load. If you're driving slow itll shift "normal", if you're accelerating med-hard itll shift firmer as necessary.

You can ask Lund to make the shifts softer though if they are too firm for you.

Overall it really wakes up the 6R80. Feels so much better after it's tuned.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=15485]MustangDownUnder[/MENTION]

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just do it.

Definitely firmer. I have had comments that maybe the shifts are a little too firm, but as mentioned above, they can do just about anything you want, and from the handful of Lund tuned cars I have seen in the flesh, They produce spot on tunes, even before revisions.

Communication and turnaround times on revisions are very good, so if you need/want changes just let them know.

(might add, downshifts are still amazing, and smooth) Very happy with the Lund tune.

OP
OP

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I also read Burkey's build thread around the Lund tune. Perhaps the option of not changing shift parameters would be the way to go. I will have a think about it.

Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
What are the drawbacks of firm shifting? Will it put a lot more strain on driveshaft or what other parts?

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
What are the drawbacks of firm shifting? Will it put a lot more strain on driveshaft or what other parts?
I'd imagine the clutch packs would probably wear a little quicker. Higher pressure so maybe have to change fluid a bit sooner. I have the ford performance stage 2 on an auto, and it does have firmer shifts when nailing it. But lund has tire burnouts to 2nd shifts... i want that.

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'd imagine the clutch packs would probably wear a little quicker. Higher pressure so maybe have to change fluid a bit sooner. I have the ford performance stage 2 on an auto, and it does have firmer shifts when nailing it. But lund has tire burnouts to 2nd shifts... i want that.
Lol Lund even chirps tires from 2nd to 3rd gear. I'm thinking since a quicker shift means riding the clutch less, then it's actually good for the clutch. But the shift shock will be bad for the driveshaft, etc?

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Lund is 100% better than stock. All the mush and sloppy shifting is gone. I had a tune from another respected vendor and his auto tune was nowhere near as refined. It clunked hard between shifts after coasting. With Lund there is nothing I would change. You leave a little more aggressive off the line and it holds the rpms higher and oh yeah it will burn them into second quite easily too.......so much fun too. After 3k miles I couldnt take that horrid stock tune, get the Lund you wont be dissappointed.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen any reports of any problems caused from the firm shifting.

However, I think it contributed to my own trans failure. I hit a hard bump in the road mid-shift at redline and it destroyed my torque converter. Personally I think if it was not tuned it would not have broken, and that the higher pressures commanded in the tune make it more "vulnerable" to things like that. However, I also think I got a defective 6R80 from the factory, as you can look all over the internet and find almost no problems like I had.

Not posting this saying the tune was at fault or its a bad idea to tune, just figured I'd share my experience/thoughts.

Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen any reports of any problems caused from the firm shifting.

However, I think it contributed to my own trans failure. I hit a hard bump in the road mid-shift at redline and it destroyed my torque converter. Personally I think if it was not tuned it would not have broken, and that the higher pressures commanded in the tune make it more "vulnerable" to things like that. However, I also think I got a defective 6R80 from the factory, as you can look all over the internet and find almost no problems like I had.

Not posting this saying the tune was at fault or its a bad idea to tune, just figured I'd share my experience/thoughts.
Hey buddy, how was your torque converter destroyed? Sorry for my ignorance but I just want to learn about auto transmissions. And I go on bimonthly trackdays in 100 degree heat so I'm a bit worried about my transmission. Thanks for sharing by the way!

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Lund tunes the auto to shift very firm and quick. However it varies based on throttle/load. If you're driving slow itll shift "normal", if you're accelerating med-hard itll shift firmer as necessary.

You can ask Lund to make the shifts softer though if they are too firm for you.

Overall it really wakes up the 6R80. Feels so much better after it's tuned.
Does the paddle shift respond quicker?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Hey buddy, how was your torque converter destroyed? Sorry for my ignorance but I just want to learn about auto transmissions. And I go on bimonthly trackdays in 100 degree heat so I'm a bit worried about my transmission. Thanks for sharing by the way!
On a track you wont have to worry. My torque converter went because of the bump I hit mid-shift. On a smooth surface of a track you have nothing to worry about. I would watch your trans temps though in those conditions. Mishimoto makes a bigger trans cooler if needed, and I would change the fluid more often in general. Just my 2 cents.

Does the paddle shift respond quicker?
The paddles are very quick and responsive at all times. If you're at WOT I wouldn't say theyre any better/faster than just letting it shift itself, but if not in WOT they definitely give a firmer quicker shift than usual.

OP
OP

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just placed my order, and asked for throttle sensitivity to be left in stock. Look forward to getting it in a couple of weeks!

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone got a Lund tune in their auto transmission GT. I am interested in what the shifting is like between gears -the stock programming is a bit "mushy" but reading the US reviews of the Lund tune the shifts can be quite "firm" (maybe too firm, but yes it is programmable)?

Any thoughts appreciated.
My tip. Get the flex fuel tune as well. The full e85 tune is off its head. Just flashed the "race" tune Over this arvo. I'd forgotten how ludicrous a tune developed specifically for e85 can be. Traction isn't even a thing.
Sponsored