Sponsored

Car Horn Sound Change

AQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My horn did the same here . i have two warranty work now :

1. my driver side vanity lights not working ( the bulb is fine but the wire inside got short or something already covered under warranty .still waiting for the part )

2.horn ( going tomorrow to the dealer )
Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
No one likes a good set of aftermarket horns that are louder and not expensive?

I wouldn't bring my car in to a dealer for a horn....not worth my time and horror stories from dealership monkeys.

Reactions: AQ

AQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No one likes a good set of aftermarket horns that are louder and not expensive?

I wouldn't bring my car in to a dealer for a horn....not worth my time and horror stories from dealership monkeys.
That's true.. But I already have problem to fix under warranty ( the vanity lights ). So why not hit two birds with one stone

And believe me I know and lived all the dealer horror . They scratch my door paint to the metal . but they fix it

So yes I always try to avoid going to the dealer
But this one is a must

Don't wanna pay for something that can be fix for free

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
If you get an aftermarket horn, insure the polarity is correct. If you get the + and - swapped the horn will suck rather than blow. This would be a problem if driving in the rain as it will fill your electrical system with water. You will see the headlights filling....first clue.

Anyway, let me know if I can give more sage advice!

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you get an aftermarket horn, insure the polarity is correct. If you get the + and - swapped the horn will suck rather than blow. This would be a problem if driving in the rain as it will fill your electrical system with water. You will see the headlights filling....first clue.

Anyway, let me know if I can give more sage advice!
I always wondered why the headlights filled with water. Who knew? :cool:

Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
i got the "mazda 3" horn sound now too.

Is there anything on a mustang that dosnt break?

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I went through a deep puddle during a storm and my horn started doing the same thing the OP mentioned. Took it to Ford and they stated it was water related and replaced it.

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I've noticed when it is cold outside the horn sounds weak. After driving the car for a bit and under hood temps get nice and toasty it sounds normal. Maybe the horn mechanism just doesnt like being frozen ?

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I've noticed when it is cold outside the horn sounds weak. After driving the car for a bit and under hood temps get nice and toasty it sounds normal. Maybe the horn mechanism just doesnt like being frozen ?
I've pondered this too. It makes some sense - there is a membrane inside, isn't there? Like the cellophane in a kazoo? So it stands to reason that it could/would become brittle in -20°C temps?

That said, I doubt that the under-hood temp rise would effect it much...since it's 'waaay over by the outer edge of the G.O.R. and down close to the road. But...maybe.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a Procharger D1x installed and with that install you have relocate the original horn placement to the inner front fener behind the wheel well. Since i got it back i lost half my sound...thinking about upgrading my horns to a different type sounding horn..

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
For what its worth. The horn is two pieces. A low tone, and another for the high tone. The low tone is closest to the grill and is the one that will catch the most moisture n such. Its very easy to replace, just pull out your airbox. With a 10mm take off one of the horns and youll have easier access to the 8?mm nut that holds the bracket. Reinstall new one. Horn cost me $20

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a new set from ford through work so im paying cost. They are relocated to an easier access point so i will install them myself!

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
Same problem here, I have just noticed how the horn sound has become much weaker. Will get the car to the dealer.
Sponsored