Sponsored

Washing/Waxing/Detailing

Deano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Ecoboost
Interested in finding out what products you guys are planning to use/using on your cars. I know there is a thread in the main section but a lot of those products aren't readily available in Oz.
Sponsored

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
I buy all of my stuff from Car Care Products (www.carcareproducts.com.au), these are what I use:

Wash - good quality wash shampoo - I've used lots of different brands, at the moment using Duragloss.

Clay bar - Dodo Juice Gentle Grey, but have used Clay Magic as well (didn't like it as much).

Polish - using either Dodo Juice Lime Prime or one of the Menzerna products I have, using a random orbital/dual action polisher.

Wax - Naviwax Ioncoat Light.

Quick detailer - Duragloss Aquawax before drying, as a maintenance product.

Tyre shine - Autobrite tyre gel.

Snow foam - Mint foam.

This is my previous car detailed with these products:
IMAG1024.jpg
IMAG1382_1.jpg

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Interested in finding out what products you guys are planning to use/using on your cars. I know there is a thread in the main section but a lot of those products aren't readily available in Oz.
It is a little annoying that most of the products aren't available here, I actually ordered and had some sent over from the usa with some car parts I purchased recently because of the rave reviews e.g infinite use detail juice. But it would be good to compare some locally available products in the future.

It would be great to get a list of easy to find in AUS products though!

I have had a pretty good look at the other threads you mention, this guys youtube channel is linked somewhere in those threads. Which I found quite useful/learned a few things.

Junkman2000

Its more 'how to' videos but he does go over the products he uses, he seems to know his stuff. Also explains pretty well the Hype factor of a lot of products and what to stay away from.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]KP-eAddv2sk[/MEDIA]"]How To for Novice to Machine Polishing - Part 1[/ame]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]w09r6m6sRCA[/MEDIA]"]Junkman's 2-Bucket Wash Technique - Part 1[/ame]

Only downfall of these videos are that he is long winded, but all the info is there, and spoken clearly. If given the time to watch them I think they are useful.

Basically he recommends Meguiars products for polishing (Meguiars - Mirror Glaze 105 and 205) which should be pretty easy to find in Aus for a reasonable price. Also using the orbital/dual action polisher, mentioned by
WILDB.

(also recommended are the 'hex logic buffing pads' of various colours)

I see WILDB has the Karcher pressure washer (I assume with the foam attachment for use with the snow foam) which is the same setup im looking at getting, seems the best option I have found in AUS so far.

****One product line I hear over and over again to stay away from is Armor all, just a heads up! ill leave explanations to those who have the experience with the product, easy to search for it on these forums.

Last edited:

XR6VCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual Mustang GT
Timely topic Deano! Gave my mustang its first wash this afternoon. Hopefully the weather remains good tomorrow so I can go out and take some decent pictures of it while its looking clean!

Have spent far to much time while I was waiting for this car watching car washing and detailing videos. In particular Larry Kosilla's Ammo NYC / Drive Clean videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom). Love that guys OCD-ness :)

My current wash technique is:
1. Initial light rinse with the hose to release any light surface dirt
2. High pressure rinse down of the entire car
3. Clean each wheel and wheel arch. If really dirty I use a wheel cleaning product but today it wasn't too bad so just cleaned with my wheel wash mit and wheel cleaning brushes and tools
4. Snow foam the car with a high pressure hose and snow foam attachment
5. High pressure hose rinse down after the snow foam has done its work
6. 2 bucket method wash to get rid of the remaining road grime and film
7. Final high pressure rinse down
8. Dry the car off using a waffle weave microfiber towel and some quick detailer spray

Very happy with the way the car came up! Although I think the best part of washing the car was it really gave me a chance to appreciate the design of the car up close. All those curves and creases look fantastic up close. These things are a seriously good looking car in the metal.

In terms of washing and detailing gear, pretty much all of it comes from Waxit (http://www.waxit.com.au). I've been buying stuff from them for the past 5 or so years and find them really good. Their kits in particular are great if you're just starting out.

There are a couple of light scratches that I noticed when I took delivery of the car that I'll try and get out tomorrow with my random orbital / dual action polisher. After looking at them again today they didn't seem too significant so I think I would rather try and take them out myself than get the dealer to do it. Also noticed today a weird small spot on the bonnet where there is a stack of swirls. Almost looks like it has been wet sanded and not properly polished out. Missed that one on delivery... (can only see it when the light catches it on the right angle). Again though doesn't look like it will be too difficult to get out. Just something to be conscious of when taking delivery. I thought I was being pretty pedantic but obviously not!

I am just about out of wax/sealant though so I am looking for recommendations. Had previously been using Poorboys EX which I was happy with but keen to try something new. That ST certainly looks pretty impressive WILDB so might have a look at some of the products you mentioned.

Sponsored

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
For those off the shelf products (ie. Autobarn & Supercheap), I've been told to go for Meguires or Autoglym. Rainx is good for cleaning glass.

russ16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs 1965 2016
Some good info from wildb and xr6vct. Chem guys are another good online source in addition to waxit. I haven't tried car care.

Initially a good supply of micro fibre towels is essential, plus polishing pads and a good quality wax. Machine polishers make detailing a lot easier and have great results.

Menzerna, Purple (for chrome), Wolgang, Jetseal 109, Autoglym and Meguires are all products I have used on the classic stangs with good results. There's a multitude of choice and a lot is personal.

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Wax - Naviwax Ioncoat Light.

Trying to find this product to have a bit of a read about it, cant seem to find it in Australia?

Not on Carcare either

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Trying to find this product to have a bit of a read about it, cant seem to find it in Australia?

Not on Carcare either
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I didn't get that from CCP (was rushing typing that on my phone). Apparently that wax is now sold by Waxit under the name of Concours Driftcoat. The tin I have is a few years old, I originally bought it from a pro detailer at a Q&A day he was running.

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
I am looking to get a pressure cleaner to use for snow foaming.... to WILDB and others who are currently using them...what size Karchers, Gernis etc are you using....they range in price from 250 ish to 500 plus....no probs paying whatever is needed, but I am not a fan of over buying if not needed....
By the way thanks for the detailed info you guys have provided....with so many brands and prices available for the waxes , polishes etc it is nice to get help from those with hands on experience.

Sponsored

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
I am looking to get a pressure cleaner to use for snow foaming.... to WILDB and others who are currently using them...what size Karchers, Gernis etc are you using....they range in price from 250 ish to 500 plus....no probs paying whatever is needed, but I am not a fan of over buying if not needed....
By the way thanks for the detailed info you guys have provided....with so many brands and prices available for the waxes , polishes etc it is nice to get help from those with hands on experience.
Will highly recommend this Gerni, Bob. Excellent quality and does the job well. Makes cleaning super easy.

You'll need a snow foam lance attachment as well.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/gerni-2-1kw-super-145-3-plus-high-pressure-cleaner_p6270618

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
Thanks Hybrid...I am leaning towards a Gerni for it's metal pump construction.....lance etc I will get from carcare......is that model you posted overkill or is that the kind of power that is needed...:thumbsup:

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
You can get a lower powered one if you want. I got this one from recommendations. It's very powerful and makes things easier.

Yeah I've got the foam lance from carcare.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
I have a Karcher K5.670, quite a large model but I do use it for more than just the car.

I went for the Karcher due to the 5 year warranty and due to the very poor experience with the Gerni I had beforehand - incidentally it was more expensive than the Karcher to buy initially but completely spat the dummy 2 weeks after the warranty ran out. $600 well spent, NOT!

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
I have a Karcher K5.670, quite a large model but I do use it for more than just the car.

I went for the Karcher due to the 5 year warranty and due to the very poor experience with the Gerni I had beforehand - incidentally it was more expensive than the Karcher to buy initially but completely spat the dummy 2 weeks after the warranty ran out. $600 well spent, NOT!
Depends on the model in particular.

I found that some Karchers have excellent reviews, some don't. Same with Gerni's. Some models work exceptionally well, some have horrible reviews.
Sponsored