Sponsored

Homelink visor EASY swap.

Cerberus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost (Magnetic)
I was lucky enough to find one on ebay last week, in "like new" condition. A guy had purchased it for his 2015 GT, but had decided to sell the GT and took it off. Just programmed it and it works perfectly and looks great. Shout out to Soldier989, who was kind enough to answer a couple of stupid removal/installation questions that I had.

Only issue now is putting the "rectangular" plastic trim cap back on. The bracket on my new homelink unit is metal, and somewhat different than the plastic bracket on my 2016, that includes little tabs on the side of the cap and corresponding indentations on the bracket. No such indentations on the 2015 metal bracket--just the "cross-shaped" hole in the middle (where the retaining clip pops in).

Michael
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I got lucky and found one on Ebay for $50 delivered. Just use any combination of these keywords (2015 2016 15 16 15-16 homelink visor) but be ready to buy it quick since it seems like alot of people are snapping them up once posted.

I noticed that rectangular plastic trim cap issue too. The base one has 2 little taps, the premium one doesn't so you can't really re-use that plastic piece unless maybe you cut off the clips (haven't tried). My homelink visor came with the plastic piece so that's what I used.

Cerberus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually went to my dealer today, and ordered another trim cap ($7). I tried to order the version without the tabs, but who knows? If it comes with the tabs, I'll have 2, and won't feel so badly taking my Dremel to 1 of them, to cut off and smooth out the side tabs.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Happy to help! Odd, the rectangle cover on my 2016 V6 fit right into the new sunvisor, without issue. I dunno what year the donor car I got mine home link visor from though. Might of been a 2016.

At some point there was a part number change for the sunvisor with homelink. With that, the price changed from around $120 to around $300. At least from what I found when digging through the forums. Maybe there was a design change in there too.

Cerberus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The guy I bought my Homelink Visor from, actually had his original invoice. I don't know when he bought it, although I'd imagine it was sometime in very late 2014/early 2015, to go with his 2015 GT. Anyway, it was part no. FR3Z 6304105DA.

Sponsored

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Kind of on topic, but my car came with factory Homelink and it really sucks.....like bad. My Fusion's Homelink works about as well as my opener's remotes, but on the Mustang the range is absolutely terrible. Sometimes it won't even open until I'm directly in front of my house! Anyone else have this issue?

Cerberus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My range is fine but, frankly, I don't want to open the garage until I'm in front of my house, for a variety of reasons. That's just me, though.

I'm very happy to report that the new cap trim piece that I ordered from the dealer arrived, and it indeed does NOT have those side tabs (unlike the one on my 2016). Popped in perfectly, and looks great. All is good! For anyone interested, the cap/trim piece is part number FR3Z 63672A40 AA. On the website diagram, it's known in the abridged form of 672A40.

Michael

JeepN3RD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Sorry for the revival of old post but does anyone know if the convertible visors are identical to coupe?

Bigdrumma22

Sangre
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
So I picked up a used set of homelink visors off ebay a couple weeks ago for $45. I just got inside from installing it which took me 10-20 minutes (because I dropped the clip cover between the seat and the door). I haven't tested the functionality yet because I don't have openers installed yet but my parents do so I'll try it on theirs first tomorrow. I did run into the similar issue I read here with the clip cover (once recovered from under the seat) not fitting because the base visor uses two little prongs to hold it on and the homelink visor doesn't have the holes for these prongs to go into. Has anyone discovered the right part number for this part? I'm about to search ebay right now.

Bigdrumma22

Sangre
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
Was able to find the correct visor cap on ebay for $5 so that's on the way. I also was able to test the opener today by programming it to my parents garage. Took a few tries and a youtube video because the instructions in the owners manual miss a vital step of actually pushing the button on existing opener remote while simultaneously pressing the homelink button. Now to buy openers for my own house! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
Homelink door opener range sucks

Just picked up a used sweet 16 GT Cal Special and programmed the homelink door opener. Like some others have said, the range is terrible. Opens the door just fine when the car is in the garage, but when you back it out, it doesnt work most of the time. Even with the front bumper almost kissing the door. I think I'll just have to keep a remote in the car to use. I'll move the openers antenna around a bit to see if it helps, but right now, it is aiming at the car when it is out of the garage.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Kind of on topic, but my car came with factory Homelink and it really sucks.....like bad. My Fusion's Homelink works about as well as my opener's remotes, but on the Mustang the range is absolutely terrible. Sometimes it won't even open until I'm directly in front of my house! Anyone else have this issue?
Interesting. The Homelink in my 2016 was the same way when new. I almost had to have the bumper against the door for it to open. My other cars could open it a few feet before getting to the driveway.

Then months later, it suddenly started working from the same distance as the other cars. Thought maybe some interfering signal had been the cause and was now gone but the other cars hadn't been impacted and they didn't get an even greater operating range when the Mustang started working right. So still a mystery.

Bigdrumma22

Sangre
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
Just an update and in response to all those saying that it has terrible range. I finally got my new chamberlain openers installed and programmed to homelink. Both work fine from curbside and maybe a little further. Also has the same range at my parents house with their craftsman.
Sponsored