Sponsored

What physical difference makes an LS sound so much better?

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
As someone else said, every engine sounds different, the reason for that is virtually every detail inside the engine has an affect on the sound it makes. Bore size, bore to stroke ratio, firing order, number of valves, valve size, valve angle, port shape and port volume, and that's just the tip of the iceberg, there's also cam timing and the obvious things like manifold design and the exhaust itself, the list is nearly endless!

I'm very old school in my sound preference, for me nothing sounds better than a 351C, although the 429SCJ nearly equals it. These are both VERY over-square engines (meaning the bore diameter is significantly larger than the stroke), both have 2 very large valves per cylinder in a canted valve angle configuration.

While canted valves are fairly unique these days, what most old school performance V8's have in common is the large bore and 2 big valves per cylinder, coincidentally the LS series in Vette and Camaro dress also have larger bores with 2 valves. I'm not a sound engineer, but my guess is this has a lot to do with why the LS sounds the way it does, and why that sound is more like old school muscle than the coyote.

Now if you want a modern engine with real old school muscle car sound, find a Raptor 6.2 with anything other than the factory F150 exhaust, It sounds amazing! And it happens to have a relatively large bore, and 2 very big valves per cylinder in a canted angle configuration, but maybe that's just a coincidence ;-)
Can confirm. Raptor sounds great.
Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Can't we all agree that anything that is NOT a 4 cylinder generally sounds good especially V8's?

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Can't we all agree that anything that is NOT a 4 cylinder generally sounds good especially V8's?
I can't. V6s are terrible, straight 6s are good, flat 6s are great. Some 4s are good, especially Boxer 4s.

But yes, just about any V8 is the best sounding engine configuration out there.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can't. V6s are terrible, straight 6s are good, flat 6s are great. Some 4s are good, especially Boxer 4s.

But yes, just about any V8 is the best sounding engine configuration out there.
Or V10. Or V12.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Clearly a subjective opinion because I think an LS sounds like shit most of the time. The only time I seem to like them is when they are sitting with an aggressive cam lope.

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Or V10. Or V12.
One of my neighbors a couple houses down has an Aston V12 Vantage. That thing sounds like pure sex on startup. I'm still trying to figure out what he does for a living since he has an Aston V12 Vantage, Rolls Royce Phantom, Maserati GranTurismo, Tesla Model X, and a '63 Impala, but lives in a $250K house. :shrug:

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
One of my neighbors a couple houses down has an Aston V12 Vantage. That thing sounds like pure sex on startup. I'm still trying to figure out what he does for a living since he has an Aston V12 Vantage, Rolls Royce Phantom, Maserati GranTurismo, Tesla Model X, and a '63 Impala, but lives in a $250K house. :shrug:
He has his priorities in order, it seems.
Nothing wrong with a garage bigger than the house. Hell, I just need a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen lol.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Heh. Was not trying to start a war. I have a CORSA Sport on my GT and definitely love the sound, but I also have a lot of respect for the LSx sound.
Sponsored