Sponsored

Full Throttle acceleration smell

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Bump that I am having the exact same issue.

If I really rev the shit out of the engine and do a hard pull it'll stink real bad inside the car. This happens when the car is totally sealed off and the windows are up -- it's very very strong.

It happened since the car was new. I have a Corsa catback now and it still happens under the same conditions.

The dealer had it all day today and took it on a 11 mile drive, was not able to reproduce. Bummer that I wasn't there to help them re-create the problem.

They found no exhaust leaks. I'm gonna do some more digging myself. Some folks have said header bolts can be loose from the factory? I also have a strange noise coming from the drivers side at idle (once the engine has warmed up) that almost sounds like an exhaust leak.
Sponsored

stingerbtry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GTP PP
This is caused from the 2 stage catalytic convertor protection that is built into the PCM. It adds fuel, which makes it run rich, in order to try and cool the cats off when the engine is ran hard. The smell is unburnt fuel deposits, as carbon mainly, in the cat being reheated on the metal catalysts. Mine wasn't horrible stock or even with a cat-back but now with the vmp stage 3 and longtubes it can get pretty stank. They sell products, like cataclean, that are supposed to clean out the deposits when ran through the gas tank and engine but I've honestly never tried them. I do notice on my wideband that the car dips down to around 12 during stage 1 and then 10 during stage 2 and that's when you can really smell it. I do have quite a bit of carbon buildup from the longtubes and the aforementioned protection but I check my cats and everything else fairly regularly and have not noticed/seen/experienced any real issues as a result.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
This is caused from the 2 stage catalytic convertor protection that is built into the PCM. It adds fuel, which makes it run rich, in order to try and cool the cats off when the engine is ran hard. The smell is unburnt fuel deposits, as carbon mainly, in the cat being reheated on the metal catalysts. Mine wasn't horrible stock or even with a cat-back but now with the vmp stage 3 and longtubes it can get pretty stank. They sell products, like cataclean, that are supposed to clean out the deposits when ran through the gas tank and engine but I've honestly never tried them. I do notice on my wideband that the car dips down to around 12 during stage 1 and then 10 during stage 2 and that's when you can really smell it. I do have quite a bit of carbon buildup from the longtubes and the aforementioned protection but I check my cats and everything else fairly regularly and have not noticed/seen/experienced any real issues as a result.
Yeah? so how does it get inside the car?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah? so how does it get inside the car?
Momentum. The exhaust gasses expelled have some relative velocity to the car, but when you lift and slow down, that relative speed comes way down and some of the gasses come in the car. I don't smell anything from full throttle till after I lift off. Not exhaust leaks.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
With the windows closed and ventilation off...you'd think with all that leakage you could hear leaky sounds...like whoosh, all the time. I don't buy it.
Since nobody has passed out and/or died due to this issue, ford will say it's a non-issue unless you really bitch about it, like my dad did with his bought back exploder.

Sponsored

cbeech70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
I did a Mak cat delete and the problem went away so It's definitely a problem witht the cats. It's amazing how the Ford techs could never smell anything when they drove the car but everyone I ever had in the car asked what that smell was. Ford just plays dumd so they won't have to address the problem.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have cat deletes and still can smell a fuel type smell after WOT. Could be because the extra fueling for FI, but I agree with Bmac on this one. You only smell it when you slow down after WOT
Sponsored