Sponsored

Confused on wiring setup

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have two 4 ohms subwoofers rated @ 140 Watts RMS each.

My amp is a JL Mono (500 RMS@2 ohms and 300 RMS @ 4 ohms) with 4 speaker inputes ++/- -

Really confused here on how to run the wires in order to get 4 ohms from my amp.
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I have two 4 ohms subwoofers rated @ 140 Watts RMS each.

My amp is a JL Mono (500 RMS@2 ohms and 300 RMS @ 4 ohms) with 4 speaker inputes ++/- -

Really confused here on how to run the wires in order to get 4 ohms from my amp.
With your setup, wire them as follows; The positive of one speaker ( A ) to the first + terminal ( green ) and the negative to the first - terminal ( green ). Connect the positive of the second speaker ( B ) to the second + ( red ) and the negative to the second - ( red ).

+ + - -

A B

This will get you a 2 ohm load at the amp for 500 watts of output because the speakers will be wired in parallel. When you wire speakers in parallel, their resistance ( ohm ) rating is halved. Conversely, when you wire them in series, their resistance rating is doubled .

Your alternative, if you really only want a 4 ohm load for 300 watts, would be to just use one of you speakers and wire it as speaker A above.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Greatly appreciate your info.

I also wired the same way you mentioned. So let me get this right, each of my speakers are getting 500watts RMS or 250 RMS ?

Is there a way to get 4ohms running two of my 4ohm speakers? Because no matter what I do the subwoofers are clippin and do not sound right at all even with EVERYTHING turned down on the amp.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
There are all kinds of variables and theory to reach the actual 500 watts the amp is rated at, but for the sake of simplicity the answer to your question is that each speaker would see half the total power, or 250 watts. If you only had one speaker that was 2 ohms, then it could see the entire 500 watts.

The only way to get 4 ohms would be to run only one of your speakers. It's hard to say why your amp is clipping.

• Was the install done by a shop or by you?
  • Are you using the high or low level inputs, and where did you get the inputs from?
  • Is everything new, or are you using used equipment?

ColtonimusPrime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
There are all kinds of variables and theory to reach the actual 500 watts the amp is rated at, but for the sake of simplicity the answer to your question is that each speaker would see half the total power, or 250 watts. If you only had one speaker that was 2 ohms, then it could see the entire 500 watts.

The only way to get 4 ohms would be to run only one of your speakers. It's hard to say why your amp is clipping.

• Was the install done by a shop or by you?
  • Are you using the high or low level inputs, and where did you get the inputs from?
  • Is everything new, or are you using used equipment?
Edit: never mind. He said his amp had 4 inputs. Read it wrong. Sorry.
Sponsored