OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
I don't know. If you kept your cell phone in your back pocket you would either keep butt dialing or cracking your screen. How did you solve that?
With cell phones the size of a tablet these days, being in my pocket is not an option either. My phone is in a case that gets clipped to my belt. Life was so much easier when cell phones were, just that, cell phones and car keys were, well, keys!
Sponsored

famoussasjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Key fob programming is covered in the cars manual, you do it in the cupholder.
Also, these key fobs will work just fine with the 2015 mustangs or are these kind of universal within the ford line up? Think I may hold off until I find one that offers remote start.

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
Key fob programming is covered in the cars manual, you do it in the cupholder.
So I can buy the new style fob and just program it myself?? Sounds too easy lol

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
yep I researched who makes them and got their pdf instructions on how to DIY
Grrr.. It requires two programmed key fobs. I only have one -_-

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
How about you just don't put it in your back pocket?
Front pockets aren't any better... I still lock/unlock my doors all of the time when I pick something small up off of the ground.

The panic button can be disabled in the As-Built data using Forscan.

The windown-down feature can be disabled in the dash menu.

I actually trimmed down the button for the trunk. It still works, but I have to mash down very hard twice.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Is there a replacement for these huge key fobs? When I first got the car, I was sitting in a meeting and someone came in to ask if the Mustang with the alarm going off was mine. I put my keys in my back pocket and I must've sat on it, setting off the alarm.

Tonight, I washed my car because it looked like a good night to do it. While washing the car, I slipped the keys into my back pocket. Fast forward two hours later and my son was going out. He said he was going to take my car since the windows were down! What? I just washed the car, I never put the windows down after washing due to streaks. It turns out that when I sat down to dinner, I sat on the freakin' monstrous key fob and activated the window down option. BTW, I didn't know how to do that, but I figured it out now.

Can I get a different key fob for the Mustang? This thing is designed so horribly and is sooooo huge!
I agree the fob is a little on the big side, but I personally like that its not a regular key plus a fob, or the integrated stlye. Even my house has digital access now so I don't carry keys at all. While I do agree keeping things out of the back pocket may help, what I did to ensure I always have my key available is my wife had bought me a nice silver necklace, I hung my fob from that and leave it tucked inside my shirt. Keys always at the ready when I'm in the car and when I get home, I take it off and leave it in the cup holder when I park in the garage, or leave it with my wallet inside the house on the few occasions I haven't parked inside. Not for everyone but it works great for me as it allows for intelligent access with the exterior door handles and no issues getting the car started either. Also makes it harder to misplace. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
You have your Mustang key fob as a pendant on a necklace? Seems very intrusive in size and placement.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
You have your Mustang key fob as a pendant on a necklace? Seems very intrusive in size and placement.
Don’t even know it’s there, actually.

MixTape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost PP

Sponsored

Kasavias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Do you know if the 17/18 keyfobs work with 16 / 15 model year cars?
I have a 2018 key programmed to my 2015. As long as the remote is the same frequency, it can be programmed if you already have two programmed keys. The easiest way to figure out if it's the same frequency is matching the button combo on the keys (5-button VS 4-button, with remote start VS without remote start, etc.) Other threads and members have said that the key's FCC ID needs to match, but that was not necessary in my case as only the button combo and frequency needed to match.

famoussasjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have a 2018 key programmed to my 2015. As long as the remote is the same frequency, it can be programmed if you already have two programmed keys. The easiest way to figure out if it's the same frequency is matching the button combo on the keys (5-button VS 4-button, with remote start VS without remote start, etc.) Other threads and members have said that the key's FCC ID needs to match, but that was not necessary in my case as only the button combo and frequency needed to match.
Nice to see that the 2015 works, I checked with a site that was selling the key and they said it doesn't work. I have a few questions.

Was it relatively easy to program? It's just having both your keys in the car and then putting the new key in the cup holder slot, right? I have a 2015 myself, does your new remote have the Autostart ability, if so, does it work?

Kasavias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Nice to see that the 2015 works, I checked with a site that was selling the key and they said it doesn't work. I have a few questions.

Was it relatively easy to program? It's just having both your keys in the car and then putting the new key in the cup holder slot, right? I have a 2015 myself, does your new remote have the Autostart ability, if so, does it work?
The seller I bought from said the same thing, that you wouldn't be able to program the key without professional help and it would only work on the model with the same FCC ID. After I reached out to [MENTION=19817]HizliBullet[/MENTION], he explained and confirmed the button and frequency thing and even sent over a video showing that the new keys work.

Yeah, it was super easy to program. I just followed the posted steps but pushed and held the start/stop button in step 7 instead of just pushing it. Some people were having trouble self-programming, but that was the apparent fix for it and it worked for me on the first try. My 2015 is an auto and my original keys had the remote start, so I got the 2018 key with the same buttons and remote start and it worked like a charm. Remote start works without any issues. The frequency for the 2015 GT with remote start is 902MHz, but many sellers don't list that info.

TL;DR: The newer Mustang key with the 5 buttons/remote start should work for you (or respective button combos for other users.)

famoussasjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
The seller I bought from said the same thing, that you wouldn't be able to program the key without professional help and it would only work on the model with the same FCC ID. After I reached out to [MENTION=19817]HizliBullet[/MENTION], he explained and confirmed the button and frequency thing and even sent over a video showing that the new keys work.

Yeah, it was super easy to program. I just followed the posted steps but pushed and held the start/stop button in step 7 instead of just pushing it. Some people were having trouble self-programming, but that was the apparent fix for it and it worked for me on the first try. My 2015 is an auto and my original keys had the remote start, so I got the 2018 key with the same buttons and remote start and it worked like a charm. Remote start works without any issues. The frequency for the 2015 GT with remote start is 902MHz, but many sellers don't list that info.

TL;DR: The newer Mustang key with the 5 buttons/remote start should work for you (or respective button combos for other users.)
Awesome, think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the new fob tonight. :D Thanks for the info about the steps you took to get it programmed on your end, that'll help if I run into any issues.