Sponsored

Subwoofer

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
In my 2018 I have the 12 speaker system and I'm wondering if there's anyway to get a little more "bump" out of the subwoofer? I don't know if the sub is powered from the head unit or if it has an amp. Would a speaker swap do it or if it doesn't have an amp add an amp? Or if someone has a special trick I can do I'm open to suggestions. Thanks
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
In my 2018 I have the 12 speaker system and I'm wondering if there's anyway to get a little more "bump" out of the subwoofer? I don't know if the sub is powered from the head unit or if it has an amp. Would a speaker swap do it or if it doesn't have an amp add an amp? Or if someone has a special trick I can do I'm open to suggestions. Thanks
Assuming that the '18's use the same setup as the '15-'17's, the factory sub has it's own amp. Some of your options are;

Small Bump: Pick up some polyfill and loosely pack the factory sub enclosure with it. This tricks the speaker into thinking it is in a larger enclosure.
Medium Bump: Replace the factory speaker (keeping the enclosure) with a similarly spec'd aftermarket sub, paying attention to the depth of the new sub. A few folks here have done this with decent results.
Large Bump: Replace the factory sub/enclosure with and aftermarket amp/sub/enclosure combination. Obviously the most costly, but if want to really "feel" the sub bass, this is the best option.

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming that the '18's use the same setup as the '15-'17's, the factory sub has it's own amp. Some of your options are;

Small Bump: Pick up some polyfill and loosely pack the factory sub enclosure with it. This tricks the speaker into thinking it is in a larger enclosure.
Medium Bump: Replace the factory speaker (keeping the enclosure) with a similarly spec'd aftermarket sub, paying attention to the depth of the new sub. A few folks here have done this with decent results.
Large Bump: Replace the factory sub/enclosure with and aftermarket amp/sub/enclosure combination. Obviously the most costly, but if want to really "feel" the sub bass, this is the best option.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely give the 1st to a shot.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Mumbles has it spot on.
I went stage 1, then 2, and then 3.
Total cost for 3 for me was about $600.

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mumbles has it spot on.
I went stage 1, then 2, and then 3.
Total cost for 3 for me was about $600.
What were your thoughts on stages 1 and 2? For stage 2 which speaker did you go with. After some searching what Mumbles said I see a lot of guys used RF and a few guys used Kicker sub.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Stage 1, noticed a slightly tighter bass hit.
Stage 2, much bigger difference, harder hitting. I used a RF punch shallow dvc. P3SD2.
Stage 3 no question the best option, solid tight bass. Used a 300w RF amp. Combined with a remote level adjuster,

35380230020_a469d7dc30_k.jpg
20170411_152007 by chefjpd, on Flickr

35380235730_b1d4b37efc_k.jpg
20170411_164725 by chefjpd, on Flickr

34927250354_a6dd30b81d_k.jpg
20170405_180315 by chefjpd, on Flickr

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
If you are willing to consider a different enclosure the new Stereo Integrity BM MK V 12 inch shallow mount sub is almost ready to hit the streets. It only requires .5 ^ ft of sealed airspace to totally rock out. Add an appropriate amp and go to town. This is more of an SQ oriented sub though, not a house shaker from blocks away.

I am patiently waiting for my pair to show up and finally kick off my install.

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are willing to consider a different enclosure the new Stereo Integrity BM MK V 12 inch shallow mount sub is almost ready to hit the streets. It only requires .5 ^ ft of sealed airspace to totally rock out. Add an appropriate amp and go to town. This is more of an SQ oriented sub though, not a house shaker from blocks away.

I really want to stay with the stock equipment. My car will be more track oriented but I just want a little more "BUMP" so I'm not trying to get to involved on the audio side.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Awesome sub! I have a BM MK IV
Sponsored