Airaid Blind Grommet Too Big?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
On the Airaid CAI, the 2017 calls to have the hole plugged for the small breather. The blind grommet they provided not only is thick, but it seems like it may be too big based on the hours I spent trying to put this stupid thing in the hole. I've tried dish soap, a screwdriver, twisting it, pushing it. Nothing seems to be working.

Anyone have any tips for installing this grommet or a good tool to use? I'm considering going to Lowe's and finding a cap or closed grommet myself that will fit that hole better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Contacted Airaid and they're sending me another blind grommet. Possibly have the wrong size one.

Simplyknown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
Contacted Airaid and they're sending me another blind grommet. Possibly have the wrong size one.
i bought a used one but the guy didn't give me the blind grommet. Do you think there's anywhere that sells them? Also need the hose for the resonator.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
i bought a used one but the guy didn't give me the blind grommet. Do you think there's anywhere that sells them? Also need the hose for the resonator.
They sent me another grommet that was the same size. I actually used a knife and cut both sides of the distinct line you can see on the grommet up to the point where it met in the middle. This allowed enough play to get the grommet started and I had to push extremely hard to get it to fit. I used a very slight amount of dish soap to help lubricate it some, but not much. It was not the easiest as any other grommet was simple. This one was a pain, but it's finally in and doing its job.

Hope this helps anyone with a future install on a 2017.
Sponsored