Premium Radio w/HD question

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I'm working on options for the wife's new GT. So, I need some advise for those that are driving an '18 already. I'm thinking seriously about the Premium radio, and am wondering if the difference in the sound is worth the $895 price tag. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
It's 100% worth the difference in the previous generation over the base speakers so I'll go ahead and say "yes" to the 18 too :D

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
It's 100% worth the difference in the previous generation over the base speakers so I'll go ahead and say "yes" to the 18 too :D
Thanks Spork. If the difference in the sound is anywhere as good as the Sony system in my '13 F-150 compared to the standard radio in my '11 F-150 I agree it would be worth the money.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Thanks Spork. If the difference in the sound is anywhere as good as the Sony system in my '13 F-150 compared to the standard radio in my '11 F-150 I agree it would be worth the money.
I've test driven a few 18s now as I'm planning on switching out of my 16 in the next several months - it could be placebo but the speakers sound a bit better in the 18 (all had the premium upgrade - though I only played with/blasted the radio in one :lol: ) than in my 16 (which also has the shaker pro system with 12 speakers and subwoofer). Ford may have switched speaker brands or increased the wattage of the speakers - maybe someone could confirm this? I remember reading awhile back that Ford was switching from Sony to HK or something but I can't seem to find the article.

mrg_at_starlabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert & 2017 Ford Mustang GT Vert.
There is a world of difference between the Base, premium, and the premium with the sub.
Premium = 9 speakers
Premium/plus/Pro Sub = 12 Speakers

I would highly recommend it. The sub is not going to shake the car but it adds a nicely missing bottom end on all other configurations.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Premium radio is an absolute must. HD Radio, though? I didn't get it. My wife's last three Mercedes have had it, and we don't use it. We're much more apt to use streaming services, so the option just wasn't worth it.

JR

brettward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Muse
love mine! worth the money!!!

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Yes, it's worth it for the price.

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a bunch folks, that's what I needed to hear (pardon the pun). heck, when you hit the 50K mark $895 doesn't make that big of a difference. :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't seem that an 8" sub is worth the price. Even ford sells better, name brand 10" custom subs for less in the aftermarket (unfortunately for other models)

https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/audio/speaker-asy-10588.html
I agree my friend. I have a factory sub in my F-150. It had a bit of a hollow sound from the factory. I got a tip to remove the sub, throw that little fiber pad away that Sony stuck in it, and pack some fiberfill from an old pillow around the sub to abate that hollow sound. Amazingly it improved the base by 100%.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Still, I keep debating whether I should have ordered it or not! Would have been nice to have a slick factory sub. My '06 explorer has an 8" factory sub and it sounds amazing...but only after adding an aftermarket head unit with a can-bus adapter that let me tweak all speaker crossover points and sub gain adjustment. Don't think that would ever be possible with the Mustang shaker system keeping sync 3?
Sponsored