Sponsored

Roush Hood Scoop help needed

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
I have a Roush hood scoop that was damaged when it was removed from the car. The rear corners were lifting (common issue) and the nuts were overtightened in an effort to secure the scoop. when removing the scoop to install new tape, etc, both rear studs broke off. The studs themselves didn't break, the scoop broke. Anybody familiar with plastics and metal studs that might be able to provide insight on securing new studs to this scoop?

I contacted Roush and they offered to replace the scoop if I provide pictures and a copy of the receipt, but since I don't have the receipt, I can't expect them to cover this. If I can't repair it, I may make wall art in the garage!!:D
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Post a pic of what broke please

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Sorry. I didn't make it really clear what broke. Just the plastic areas around the studs. The head of the stud is a Plastorx head that is molded into the plastic. The plastic around the head of the Plastorx broke off just slightly larger than the head.

I spoke with my local body shop today and they mentioned that it could be fixed by using longer studs that have a washer on the end, putting it in the hole, then filling the hole with epoxy. He said the epoxy would lock the washer in, so it wouldn't be able to pull out again.

plastorlg.jpg

The broken area is about the size of the black washer in this pic of the stud. If you remove the black washer, you'll see the Plastorx head molded into the plastic, like the light colored studs in the upper photo.

13-14-GT-V6-BOSS-roush-hood-scoop-unpainted-027.jpg

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
The body shop is correct. That will fix it. Or you could go buy some epoxy yourself and......

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I would go to Home Depot and get some 5 minute epoxy for about $5.00 Take some 60 or 80 grit sand paper and scuff the areas the epoxy will touch and apply the epoxy so it touches all broken or egged out areas. Sit the part on some wax paper if it might get messy and let it sit over night to cure. Don't buy the epoxy for plastic, get the general purpose stuff...works very well.

Sponsored

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Had same issue

I have a Roush hood scoop that was damaged when it was removed from the car. The rear corners were lifting (common issue) and the nuts were overtightened in an effort to secure the scoop. when removing the scoop to install new tape, etc, both rear studs broke off. The studs themselves didn't break, the scoop broke. Anybody familiar with plastics and metal studs that might be able to provide insight on securing new studs to this scoop?

I contacted Roush and they offered to replace the scoop if I provide pictures and a copy of the receipt, but since I don't have the receipt, I can't expect them to cover this. If I can't repair it, I may make wall art in the garage!!:D
I bought my scoop off ebay And scoop started to lift at corners. I gave Roussh the auction receipt and they sent out s kit in 2 days.

Can you get a receipt from the person that sold you the scoop? If so then they should be able to get you new hardware.

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
I can't get the receipt or sale information because it came from a Roush car. The scoop was damaged when a shop tried to remove it to reapply new tape. Since it was a shop that broke it, they replaced it for the owner. The shop gave the damaged scoop to me.

It'd be nice if Roush would replace it, since they are aware of the corner lifting issue, but it wasn't mine from the start, so I understand them not covering it. For all they know, the scoop could've been warranty replaced to the shop and now the broken one is trying to be replaced again by me. Without a receipt, that broken scoop can go to 10 different people, and Roush could be replacing 1 scoop 10 times. I'll be fixing it when I get some time.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
JB weld.

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
Had same issue

I bought my scoop off ebay And scoop started to lift at corners. I gave Roussh the auction receipt and they sent out s kit in 2 days.

Can you get a receipt from the person that sold you the scoop? If so then they should be able to get you new hardware.
Happen to have a pic of what the fix kit looks like?

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Happen to have a pic of what the fix kit looks like?

I don’t have a picture but as I recall it was just mainly nuts , bolts and washers. I handed it over to my body shop guy and he reinstalled my scoop when I had it repainted. Since sold my 2015, man I miss her.
AA8D1C29-0336-4448-9340-F646074573B4.jpeg
Sponsored