2015 Mustang GT -vs- Miata with V8 engine

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Back in 2015 I purchased a new GT with automatic transmission.

At the time of purchase I was considering adding a supercharger once they became commercially available.

By the time 2016 rolled around and I had the funds saved up to do a supercharger install, the little voice in the back of my head started talking a different tune so I bought a 2000 Miata as a beater/daily driver to keep my Mustang clean and happy as a weekend ride.
As time went by I found out that the Miata was the car that I prefer to drive simply because it is such a fun and engaging ride. Part of the fun has to do with the Miata being a convertible but even beyond that the car just puts a grin on my face when I am behind the wheel.
After a year of driving the Miata and doing research I started driving the Mustang as my daily driver and spent 8 months dropping an engine and transmission into the Miata. Bought and engine and T56 manual transmission from a salvage 2000 Z28 and the rear differential from a Cadillac CTS-V and a bunch of parts from a place called Flyin Miata. Put it all together. Currently it weighs exactly 2720 lbs and is putting down around 320 HP to the rear wheels. With a cam swap it would be simple to run it up to about 380 at the rear wheel, almost the same as what my Mustang puts to the ground in a car that weighs around 1200 pounds less.

This is not a drag race or road race comparison but rather a comparison of the two cars as a fun daily driver.
As of right now I can say for sure that the Miata is faster in a straight line but probably slower around corners and in braking performance because I have not upgraded the brakes & tires yet. Gotta save something for a Winter project.

Pluses for the Mustang
...It has a back seat and a decent sized trunk, which can be a huge plus sometimes.
...It gets better fuel mileage and works just fine on 87 ocatane, which makes it cheaper at the pump.
...It is much more comfortable for a drive of any length.
...I get more complements in the Mustang as many people are a huge fan of the 6G Mustang styling.

Pluses for the Miata
...It is just plain so much fun to drive because it honestly feels more like a street legal go-kart than a real live car, particularly in this age of jacked up club cab pickup trucks.
...The Acceleration at lower speeds is just plain brutal in the most fun way possible.
...My first convertible and I am loving the experience.
...The car is a true sleeper with no external cues to the performance except for the sound of the V8 engine, which can only be hidden so much.

Do I regret not following my original path and supercharging the Mustang?
So far not at all.
Putting a supercharger on the Mustang is less expensive than dropping a V8 into the Miata.
The fun factor of the Miata outweighs the higher cost to do the swap.
The Mustang has the luxury and comfort of a newer car so I intend to leave it stock.
2000 Miata.JPG
Finished 4.JPG
Finished 2.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd love to have a Miata or an old 280Z or something with a V8 swap. Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the write up.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Very cool. Post up some pic's of the Miata, incl the engine bay.

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Nice build thread!

It must take hours to stop giggling after driving it. :D

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Very nice that is a true sleeper lol

Would be very fun to drive. Thank you also for saving a Miata from the ricers!

OP
OP

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Just for giggles I had the Miata weighed on a set of certified scales.
2720 pounds with a full tank of gas. Works out to about 2880 pounds with me in the car.
Presuming it puts 320 to the rear wheels, that calculates to 9 pounds per HP.
Not sure exactly what my particular Mustang weighs but if I presume 3800 pounds with me sitting in the car and 375 HP at the rear wheel that calculates to 10.1 pounds per HP.
Given that the Mustang has an automatic and is running about twice as much rubber, my bench racing brain says that the Mustang would take the Miata off the line but the Miata would drive right past the Mustang at any sort of roll on.
Seat of the pants driving both cars tells me that the Miata would run off and leave the Mustang even from a dead stop since it has some wheel spin but still leaves real hard from a dead stop.
Maybe next year I will take both to the drag strip on a test & tune evening to get a real world comparison.

On a road course (Hallett is just down the road from me) I can guarantee that the Mustang would out handle and brake way better than the Miata, at least with the current tires and brakes on my car. By next year I intend to change that situation by adding big brakes and good performance tires to the Miata.
On an Autocross course, which I intend to do next year, the Miata would probably do considerably better than the Mustang. Last weekend I attended the last Autocross event of the season in Tulsa and saw a number of Mustangs and Miata's compete. The slowest Miata's were doing lap times right in line with the fastest Mustang GT times. There was one GT350 competing with a good driver behind the wheel and his times were about a second slower than the faster street prepared Miata's.

Can anybody see the two original pictures I attached?
They originally showed up but now all I am seeing is two small X's.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Both cars look good! Definitely a cool sleeper. Rev the Miata and everybody probably looks around like what is making that sound lol.
N73GfAJ.jpg

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
that engine install is so clean. looks really nice.

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
Cant see the first pics but it is probably because im at work. Im honestly surprised at the weight of the Miata. Is the Miata irs? Im assuming it is since the rear came from a ctsv. My 92 5.0 weighed 2840 with a half tank. I just expected the Miata to come in around 2600. Either way ive always wanted to do this just because! Very cool and enjoy!

Sponsored
OP
OP

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
If it had been a first generation Miata or stripper NB version, it would have weighed right around 2500 pounds after the swap but my 2nd generation Miata is heavier and more civilized than either of those options.
Additionally, my specific Miata is a 2000 Special Edition which weighs more than a normal Miata of the same year due to extra body skirt bolt on pieces.
As part of doing the swap I probably added 100 pounds of extra chassis bracing and sound deadening.
My tires and wheels are 16" and probably add 40 or 50 pounds over lightweight 15" high grip road tires & wheels.
If I would remove the factory convertible top and install an aftermarket lightweight hard top the car could lose about 30 pounds but I really like the convertible aspect.

It all adds up but is still lighter than most V8 cars on the road.

OP
OP

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Well it has happened.

I sold the Mustang over the weekend.

There was no need for me to have two performance cars and the Miata is simply more enjoyable to drive than the Mustang.
Ended up buying a new Honda Ridgeline as a daily driver and pickup combination.
Just made more sense to get rid of the Mustang rather than having three vehicles.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm