Opinions on the Chevy SS

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I've read all the Car & Driver articles on it, and you're right, I'm not saying it's a bad car... just that I'd never be seen in a Kia. If it had a turbo V8 like the S6/S7/etc. and a sub 4 second 0-60, I might be willing...
Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
I'll never drive a Kia, especially not for that kind of money.
I can't imagine getting an actual off brand car like a Kia ... As for the SS, by the time I was ready to make the plunge, there wasn't one within 700 miles of here ... Guess I'll be staying a Ford man for a while longer. Get a '17 Audi S7 or SRT8 when its off lease in two years...
I love fast cars that look great and offer equally good value.

That's why I've been blessed with so many new Mustangs over the decades, can't ever see buying an older and used Audi.

... The Stinger GT is just a Genesis under the Kia badge. Reviewers are all LOVING the car ...
Yes they are, yes they are. :thumbsup:

... I'd never be seen in a Kia. If it had a turbo V8 like the S6/S7/etc. and a sub 4 second 0-60, I might be willing...
If the Stinger GT had all that, it would be 90-100k and would no longer be the winner everyone says it is. The Kia stands on it's own as a sharp modern looking sedan with a base price of 39k that hits 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and the quarter in 12.9 seconds.

Those are Mustang like attributes ...

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I'll never drive a Kia, especially not for that kind of money.
I can't imagine getting an actual off brand car like a Kia... If I was going to even consider it, it'd be because I'm buying a gas saver, and it'd have to be be the cheapest, slowest one, and I'd probably still end up with a Toyota Mazda2 (Yaris iA Scion whatever they're calling it this week).
As for the SS, by the time I was ready to make the plunge, there wasn't one within 700 miles of here, and the dealers weren't willing to give me $11,000 off on a car they had to ship across the country. Guess I'll be staying a Ford man for a while longer. Get a '17 Audi S7 or SRT8 when its off lease in two years...
Calling a Kia an off brand in comparison to a Chevrolet is comical. Most of the Korean cars I've drove in seemed better built than a Chevrolet (mostly based on rentals). I owned a Hyundai (my first new car when I was 20) was extremely reliable and I had it serviced for 1 warranty issues throughout 170k miles I owned it (coil plugs). Nothing fell apart or broke that wasn't my fault.

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I guess you're right- it's mostly in my head that an SS would be better built. My experience with Chevy and Kia rentals is that both suck to drive, but I've only ever had a Chevy rental with actual problems (interior electronics went nuts the whole week). The only Hyundai in my family was very reliable until it hit ~120k, then it was breaking down about once a month, each time it was some engine electrical like coil packs, MAF, etc. However that was an '02 model.
So is Ford any better or do we just love them because 5.0? So far mine has been reliable, performs at an extreme level for the money, is nice to DD, and gets good MPG (for a V8), but also a rattle box. But rattles/NVH are just "perceived" quality. I think it's more to do with perception of brand vs actual data... which is why I'll still never own a Kia :p

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Some of you's need to sell your mustang smh. As far as the Chevy super slow.. did it even make it to production? Haven't seen one.. ever.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Calling a Kia an off brand in comparison to a Chevrolet is comical. Most of the Korean cars I've drove in seemed better built than a Chevrolet (mostly based on rentals). I owned a Hyundai (my first new car when I was 20) was extremely reliable and I had it serviced for 1 warranty issues throughout 170k miles I owned it (coil plugs). Nothing fell apart or broke that wasn't my fault.
Huh, interesting you would say that. I don't care to own anything Kia or Hyundai build so I haven't looked at them carefully. However, I always thought they were significantly cheaper than the competition and that's where they got their sales from. Are they actually the same price as Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, etc.?

I would have thought Kia and Hyundai were the Walmart of car brands. Maybe that isn't fair to Walmart, but they are another company that I think has a reputation for being less expensive than the competitors (and perhaps not quite as good quality).

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
WildHorse;2077483did it even make it to production? Haven't seen one.. ever.[/QUOTE said:
They never came up to Canada. Built in Australia, sold in the USA as the Chevy SS.

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I checked out two Kia Stinger GTs last night - a GT and GT2. They are very nice. The GT2 at 52K maybe not such a great deal. The GT at 39K is a great deal, but no sunroof and premium stereo.

The GT1 with the sunroof and awesome stereo is the sweetspot at around 42-43K MSRP.

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Huh, interesting you would say that. I don't care to own anything Kia or Hyundai build so I haven't looked at them carefully. However, I always thought they were significantly cheaper than the competition and that's where they got their sales from. Are they actually the same price as Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, etc.?

I would have thought Kia and Hyundai were the Walmart of car brands. Maybe that isn't fair to Walmart, but they are another company that I think has a reputation for being less expensive than the competitors (and perhaps not quite as good quality).
Until you actually checkout a stinger you should withhold judgment.

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I checked out two Kia Stinger GTs last night - a GT and GT2. They are very nice.
They are nice. That engine has to be severely underrated.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Let me guess, the Mustang is your first American brand... and you live in Virginia. Ever hear "Buy American" ..? If not buy one of the big three from Europe..? Anything else is considered an "off brand" knockoff..! (KIA is a budget brand)

Btw, a Kia is a Hyundai and the Mustang itself s older than those "off brand" fledgling companies.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I don't really like them.
Yeah, the performance is there, but I don't like the styling,..........at all.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I've daily driven my Pontiac G8 for 10 years and I love it. Wish I could keep it forever honestly. The SS is just an updated G8 with poor styling and better tech. I would've replaced the G8 with one if it looked half decent at all. I hate that there are no American made reasonably priced options for a rear wheel drive aggresive performance sedan anymore (No, I would'nt buy a Charger). The Stinger is interesting and I respect the effort, but I can't buy a Kia either.
Sponsored