Sponsored

5th Gen Z/28 vs 6th Gen SS 1LE vs My GT PP opinions?

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've had my 15 GT PP for 1.5 years give or take, and have done some basic mods, nothing intensive: Shift bracket, x pipe, camber bolts, BMR handling springs, f/r sways, 18x10s with summer tires, etc.

I now have a car to drive in the winter (last year had winters on stock PP wheels), and have started to think that because the car will not be driven in snow/salt (will be on clean non salt roads in winter though) that I can upgrade to a more "raw/intense" car.

In come the competition. Z28 prices are in the low 40s, with mid being average. They are an intriguing car due to the engineering, carbon ceramics, 7 liter 505 hp engine and the reviews/performance are great.

The 6th Gen SS 1LE is putting up times to rival the z28 and GT350 for a similar price (when available), let alone when they potentially go on sale, etc.

Kind of a general thread, and I'm fully expecting the home field advantage here to say keep the mustang, but was curious what people thought.

PS, I will put about 15k a year on the car (excluding winter), it'll get about 3-5 HPDE weekends, and 10-15 autocrosses a year.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Both the Camaros you've mentioned would be fine choices. Personally, I'd wait to see what the '18MY Mustang brings and then make your decision :)
Understood, but I won't be buying another mustang new. Resale is ridiculous, and I got a base model PP with 4200 off, at 0% financing.

So that avenue (and probably the 1LE) would be at least a year from now.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The Z/28 is interesting. It was not priced appropriately IMO, but with the deals available now it is an amazing value. It has an extremely capable chassis, great brakes and steering, and probably the best engine GM has ever made (valve guides excepted). I feel like that car will be one that holds its value over the next 20 years better than most others. Not saying that it is the one you should get, but I do think it is an impressive vehicle and I love that engine.

-T

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The Z/28 is interesting. It was not priced appropriately IMO, but with the deals available now it is an amazing value. It has an extremely capable chassis, great brakes and steering, and probably the best engine GM has ever made (valve guides excepted). I feel like that car will be one that holds its value over the next 20 years better than most others. Not saying that it is the one you should get, but I do think it is an impressive vehicle and I love that engine.

-T
This is my thinking almost exactly. The one I was looking at just came back as a no A/C car :frusty:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd recommend you drive them all before deciding. You should really drive a GT350 if you can as well. Find something lightly used if you don't want to spend the $$ for a new one.

You talk about magazine times, but I think you will be a lot better off if you decide based on what you think after driving the cars. I read a bunch of magazine reviews about the last generation 1LE. I was ready to go buy one, but then after driving one I was very underwhelmed.

Maybe even look at the last generation GT500. You can find them at great prices and upgrade if you want.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
A surprising lack of hostility in this thread so far! I agree with everything said above.

The great news is that if you can safely spare the cash, you can't go wrong. The new SS is astounding, the previous gen Z/28 is an amazing bargain on the used market.

The GT350s aren't plentiful as used cars yet and when they are, I wouldn't expect to get one cheap for a while. For example, 2012/13 Boss 302s with moderate use are still going for close to MSRP...and the GT350 is a much more "special" Mustang.

So this is what I would do- you already own the Mustang, you already have some smart/well allocated money invested in it. The modding potential of your version of the Coyote is amazing...I'd stay on the mod path with your current car!

Speaking from experience, it's always fun to window shop (especially while your trade-in still has most of its value) but it's going to be hard to beat your current car with an investment in more modifications. This platform is proving to be good at everything with the right parts and tuning.

Keep us posted on whatever you decide!!

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I've been looking at the boss 302 ls which is a mid 30s car now it seems. Cream puffs or unreasonable owners might be asking more but the market is what it is.

I'm leaning toward keeping the Mustang as I don't feel a z28 is 20k the better car, which is roughly what I'd have to throw on mine to get a z28.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
If you are attempting to build your car to compete at the level the Z28 runs on a road course, you have tons of options out there.

Mods route you could go. This will put you about 460-470RWHP/390RWTQ
*Flexfuel tune running E85
*Long tube headers (catted)
*GT350 intake manifold or CJ intake manifold
*CAI

Suspension/Brakes/Etc:
*Koni adjustables
*Firmer linear rate springs
*Coilover setup if you are going to go hard core racing
*Cup2 tires or similiar
*G-loc pads
*Stainless steel brake lines
*Change out brake fluid
*Aftermarket shifter

Those mods are going to give you a fast, fast car on any track you visit and run on. As long as you have the driver mod, this car with that mods will flat fly and still be comfortable to drive anywhere you want.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
If you're looking for a total suspension package...

I'd recommend the Cortex Racing Extreme Grip system. They're easily at the top of the heap in the S197 world, and they have a very good reputation.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'd recommend you drive them all before deciding.

You talk about magazine times, but I think you will be a lot better off if you decide based on what you think after driving the cars. I read a bunch of magazine reviews about the last generation 1LE. I was ready to go buy one, but then after driving one I was very underwhelmed.

Maybe even look at the last generation GT500. You can find them at great prices and upgrade if you want.
I'd love to drive them all! Magazine times are of use, they are a (very) rough estimate of a vehicles dynamics. Even driving them spiritedly on the street means nothing when you get them on the track, totally different world/dynamics.

GT500 interests me 0%, LRA, a boulder over the front end, heat issues Etc.

So this is what I would do- you already own the Mustang, you already have some smart/well allocated money invested in it. The modding potential of your version of the Coyote is amazing...I'd stay on the mod path with your current car!

Speaking from experience, it's always fun to window shop (especially while your trade-in still has most of its value) but it's going to be hard to beat your current car with an investment in more modifications. This platform is proving to be good at everything with the right parts and tuning.

Keep us posted on whatever you decide!!
Yep, I think this is how I'm leaning. Not much else this good for the price. I can do 10k in HPDEs and 10k in mods and still be "even" with a 1LE or Z28 price wise. :crazy:

If you are attempting to build your car to compete at the level the Z28 runs on a road course, you have tons of options out there.

Mods route you could go. This will put you about 460-470RWHP/390RWTQ
*Flexfuel tune running E85
*Long tube headers (catted)
*GT350 intake manifold or CJ intake manifold
*CAI
My goal is a track focused street car. I daily drive it in the spring through fall but don't mind the dynamics associated with a track focused car (it can be stiff/loud/etc).

With that said, I'm not looking for more power (yet). The brakes/suspension/tires need upgraded before I'm running out of engine.

With that said, your list is exactly what I have on my "list" when the time comes.

Suspension/Brakes/Etc:
*Koni adjustables
*Firmer linear rate springs
*Coilover setup if you are going to go hard core racing
*Cup2 tires or similiar
*G-loc pads
*Stainless steel brake lines
*Change out brake fluid
*Aftermarket shifter
The BMR Handlings are great overall, but soft for the track. I'll either grab the GC spring perch system so I can get custom spring rates this winter, or keep the Handling springs through next year.

My winter mods are going to be brakes, with new rotors, and g-loc or carbotech pads (ax6 daily/autocross and xp12 front for hpde). I already have RBF600 fluid and will continue to bleed that regularly.

Tires are obviously the big one. I have to figure out my wheel/tire situation, if I do scrubs for $400 or spend 3-4 times that for NT01/RE71R/Rival S type tires.

Those mods are going to give you a fast, fast car on any track you visit and run on. As long as you have the driver mod, this car with that mods will flat fly and still be comfortable to drive anywhere you want.
Yep, I want to be careful not to over mod, in lieu of seat time. I have 3 weekends planned (6 days total) for 2017, and would rather under mod and over track than the opposite.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
When you find yourself wanting more power...you can always install a Supercharger kit. As our 5.0s really respond to boost.
ProCharger centrifugal or a Roots TVS style blower.

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When you find yourself wanting more power...you can always install a Supercharger kit. As our 5.0s really respond to boost.
ProCharger centrifugal or a Roots TVS style blower.
I appreciate the thought, but the last thing I would do to a track focused car is add a supercharger. Weight up front, and massive heat issues.

RedRiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt pp
i test drove a z28 awhile back, and that's the only camaro i can confidently say i would not hesitate to buy at a good price. car feels like you're driving a fire-breathing dragon. the ls7 is a monster. most ls engines feel lazy and sluggish, the ls7 is rev happy and keeps on pulling. another nice thing about the ls7 is that there is soooooo much power left on the table. :D

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
another nice thing about the ls7 is that there is soooooo much power left on the table. :D
Once you throw about $2,000 into the heads..yeah. The LS7 had a small, but very real, failure rate due to head problems..enough so that a major shop just kept 10+ sets of corrected LS7 heads in stock.

Don't get me wrong...the LS7 is a fantastic motor, but GM really crapped the bed by pretending the LS7 never had a problem and refused to correct it.
Sponsored