Sponsored

MGW Race Spec X Spec ?

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Having the x spec installed now as we speak. Is there a break in period with the shifter? Can I start banging gears once I leave the dealership? Thanks. Great smh. After talking to people about this shifter now I find out that the shorter handle will add more strain on the already weak tranny smh
Sponsored

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
Having the x spec installed now as we speak. Is there a break in period with the shifter? Can I start banging gears once I leave the dealership? Thanks. Great smh. After talking to people about this shifter now I find out that the shorter handle will add more strain on the already weak tranny smh
Did you get the X-Spec with the short handle or the standard handle?

Since it sounds like the added stress to the tranny is caused by the design of the X-Spec itself and not necessarily how short the throw is, I may opt for the Race-Spec with the short handle. Initially I was under the impression that the added stress had something to do with how short the throw of the shifter was and was considering going with the X-Spec paired with the Standard length handle but now I'm reconsidering.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Just talked to MGW. He said every short throw shifter is gonna put strain on the tranny. Just like putting a blower on the engine. I think the x spec and.race spec r the same only difference is I think is the x spec has the opt of shorter (handle which I have) and I think the x spec is supposed to be easier to insarll

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
Just talked to MGW. He said every short throw shifter is gonna put strain on the tranny. Just like putting a blower on the engine. I think the x spec and.race spec r the same only difference is I think is the x spec has the opt of shorter (handle which I have) and I think the x spec is supposed to be easier to insarll

Both the short and standard handle can go on either the Race Spec or the X-Spec shifter. According to the other post in this thread quoting George: "We have now introduced our X-Spec option. This shifter is the EXACT same shifter as our standard with the only exception being the pivot position to reduce the upper travel by an additional 10 percent in relative setup over our standard Race Spec."

So basically the difference between the Race Spec and the X-Spec is the pivot position with all else being identical. I understand that all short-throw shifters will add stress to the tranny but I'm assuming the X-Spec adds more stress than the Race Spec does. Either way, I think I'm going to go with the Race Spec with the short handle rather than the X-Spec with the standard handle.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
so when we say strain its not like a noticeable increase in wear just something like a tune puts more "strain" on the engine.

Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
The extra strain comes from the increased speed of the shift. ALL short throw shifter will increase stress on the transmission. Given the same hand speed at the shift knob the shorter the throw will tranlate to faster movement in the ball cup in the shitter that attaches's to the linkage and transmission. Everday driving with casual shifting will basically be the same but when you get at it you will induce more stress than the standard race spec due to trying to shift as fast as you can. Also...the change in pivot point adds leverage so the force you put on the shifter handle is increased to the transmission as well.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
ok so not more than one would expect when getting short shifter.. we hopefully all know pushing performance reduces longevity to some extent

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Since it sounds like the added stress to the tranny is caused by the design of the X-Spec itself and not necessarily how short the throw is, I may opt for the Race-Spec with the short handle. Initially I was under the impression that the added stress had something to do with how short the throw of the shifter was and was considering going with the X-Spec paired with the Standard length handle but now I'm reconsidering.
The added stress (of short throw) is not caused by the design of the X-Spec per se. It is caused by the design of short throw (regardless of who makes it).

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
The added stress (of short throw) is not caused by the design of the X-Spec per se. It is caused by the design of short throw (regardless of who makes it).
I realize that all short throw shifters cause additional stress to the transmission. I was speaking more to the additional stress of the X-Spec specifically over the Race Spec shifter. As I mentioned, all short throws add stress but apparently the X-Spec adds slightly more stress than the Race Spec does due to the redesign of the pivot.

Sponsored

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I realize that all short throw shifters cause additional stress to the transmission. I was speaking more to the additional stress of the X-Spec specifically over the Race Spec shifter. As I mentioned, all short throws add stress but apparently the X-Spec adds slightly more stress than the Race Spec does due to the redesign of the pivot.
Yes I see :cheers:

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I believe the pivot is of the same design just positioned for shorter throws. I would assume the if the shorter throw is the key then a Race spec with the short handle would increase stress over a Race spec with the standard handle as well.

For what it's worth stock throw is 3.5" I believe therefore
Race spec w/standard handle @15% is 2.975"
Race spec w/short handle @19% is 2.835"
X-spec w/standard handle @21% is 2.765"
X-spec w/short handle @25% is 2.625"

Note this is my personal math and not verified facts from MGW

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
I believe the pivot is of the same design just positioned for shorter throws. I would assume the if the shorter throw is the key then a Race spec with the short handle would increase stress over a Race spec with the standard handle as well.

For what it's worth stock throw is 3.5" I believe therefore
Race spec w/standard handle @15% is 2.975"
Race spec w/short handle @19% is 2.835"
X-spec w/standard handle @21% is 2.765"
X-spec w/short handle @25% is 2.625"

Note this is my personal math and not verified facts from MGW
you are pretty much spot on!!!

[ame]

George

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I went ahead and ordered the X-spec with short handle and shorter Gripper knob. Should be hear next week or so! I went ahead and got the OP fluid change to go with it. Can't wait!

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
Why did you guys did not follow the factory reverse pull up function and decided to go with it downward? Planning to buy a new shifter soon and worried I might push the shifter down while driving.
You wont ever push the shifter down while driving...
Sponsored