Sponsored

2018 twin-disc clutch in 15-17

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Anyone know if this will swap will be possible? I don't imagine it's been done yet since the 18s only just came out, but I'd be curious to see if it can be done and if it would be worth it. I'd like to upgrade my clutch at some point and it would be cool to have a worthwhile OEM option.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
It would be likely you would also have to swap in the dual mass flywheel to make everything work. I would highly suggest against going that route as there are many aftermarket options and plenty of feedback on them.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I had asked this about two months ago and got an excellent response. Why are you considering going with a part/s that Ford chose due to being the lowest bidder.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Dual mass flywheels have been nothing but trouble. The springs in the flywheel are prone to breakage or becoming dislodged especially if you beat on them. The best bet on a Mustang is a twin disc McLeod RST or RXT if boosted.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Why are you considering going with a part/s that Ford chose due to being the lowest bidder.
The WHOLE car is made up of "parts chosen due to being the lowest bidder"...so why are you even driving a Mustang then?

Some people choose to stay with OEM parts rather than hit or miss aftermarket parts. Just because it's aftermarket doesn't mean it's better, and I'm sure there are plenty of examples of that.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah man, in most cases OEM parts are your best bet for longevity and reliability. There are some exceptions though.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The WHOLE car is made up of "parts chosen due to being the lowest bidder"...so why are you even driving a Mustang then?

Some people choose to stay with OEM parts rather than hit or miss aftermarket parts. Just because it's aftermarket doesn't mean it's better, and I'm sure there are plenty of examples of that.
Triggered much? Those weren't my words but they made sense. And you are right the whole car is built that way. I noticed that after my fifth trip to the dealer. I have no clue why I am still driving a mustang. Temporary I suppose.

Fyi if you think a stock oem clutch is better than a Mcleod RST or Mantic 9000 you are out of your mind. Reason why most aftermarket exists is because oem wasn't cutting it.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Triggered much? Those weren't my words but they made sense. And you are right the whole car is built that way. I noticed that after my fifth trip to the dealer. I have no clue why I am still driving a mustang. Temporary I suppose.

Fyi if you think a stock oem clutch is better than a Mcleod RST or Mantic 9000 you are out of your mind. Reason why most aftermarket exists is because oem wasn't cutting it.
do you think McLeod, Excedy, Ram, etc dont go with the lowest bidder when it comes to their parts? Just saying sometimes OEM parts are damn good

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Doesn't the new clutch/flywheel setup weigh more than the current clutch flywheel?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
In my Subaru, I changed from a dual to a single happily. I'll be sticking with a single in my Mustang when the clutch poops... which I'm beginning to suspect will be soon given some tell tale tendencies I experienced just the same on that Subaru occurring as of late. Ug...

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Mantic twin disc ftw...

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thread revival!!
Any updates on this. Just would be interesting if it was an option.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
yeah duel mass fw doesnt do well with power.. when i had my legacy gt i switched from dm to sm and it responded so much better, held alot more power, and its still in the car to this day, with a exedy clutch and pp.
duel mass is only better for getting rid of slight vibration from the drive line and reg driving
soon as i turbo swapped it and put some power to the dw setup she went right out

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Mantic twin disc ftw...
BTW I just got my Mantic 9000 Twin Disc Organic and dropped it off at the dealer. Out of sheer morbid curiosity I weight the Billet Steel flywheel and other parts before dropping it off for install. 15.5 lbs for their solid billet steel lightened flywheel with ARP bolts all still in the plastic bag it came together in. Then I weighed the entire clutch pack (pressure plates, spring hub aka the red aluminum disk with fingers, both sprung clutch disks, all bolts and hardware still in bubble wrap). 20.4 lbs for the entire clutch pack.

So the entire Mantic 9000 twin disk setup weighs just 35.9 lbs. From what I've found on the S197's, which use the same clutch as the 2015-2017's, the stock flywheel is 22.5 lbs and the clutch pack is about 24.5 lbs. So the Mantic is about 11 lbs lighter with a lower MOI due to where the masses are located. From a driving performance standpoint (at least road course), that's a nice upgrade. My only concern is how much more I'll have to slip the clutch for normal driving to get things going, but from a performance driving standpoint I think this is going to be a dream clutch setup.

I can say this, lightweight wheels should help a lot. That's sprung mass that works AGAINST getting the car going. I noticed quite a difference in how easy it is to get the car going once I switched over to my lightweight wheel / tire setup (48 lbs lighter than stock), so perhaps the two will even out while still providing all the benefits of better response / acceleration.

So far, general consensus is for durability and drive ability, stay with billet steel flywheels and avoid the ultra light weight aluminum ones with the steel inserts. Many people report over heating the steel ring on the aluminum fly wheels causing warpage and the fact that they make the car a total PITA to drive on the street, just too light weight. As with all things, there is a point of diminishing returns. We'll see if the 9000 and solid billet steel flywheel is still too light and I end up hating the car for normal driving but most of the street oriented 9000 reviews I've seen are quite positive even with the lower mass.

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
yeah duel mass fw doesnt do well with power.. when i had my legacy gt i switched from dm to sm and it responded so much better, held alot more power, and its still in the car to this day, with a exedy clutch and pp.
duel mass is only better for getting rid of slight vibration from the drive line and reg driving
soon as i turbo swapped it and put some power to the dw setup she went right out
Agreed. Dual mass is not a performance oriented setup. It's more for drive ability on a street car. Dual mass means even more rotating mass for the engine to spin up, which eats away at your available power. Mass takes energy and with higher mass, you need more energy to achieve same rates of acceleration. If the power remains constant, your rate of acceleration drops with increasing mass. I have a feeling Ford went dual mass on the 2018's because of the taller 1st gear in the 4-speed MT-82 D4 variant.

2015-2017's run the traditional super short 3.657 first gear. However that works out well with low mass clutch setups. Taller first gears require greater mass to make the car drive able on the street which ultimately hurts performance.
Sponsored