Sponsored

Automatic Transmission Oil Temp

fsuguy92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost - Competition Orange
Hey guys, what should my trans oil temp be running? I have a 2016 auto and I seem to be running around 190 - feels like
this is a little high?
Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
That’s fine for a/t temp. Mine runs between 190 and 207 on the street. Road course much hotter.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
about 215 when smashing through the canyons lol
your temp is fine and normal

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
That’s fine for a/t temp. Mine runs between 190 and 207 on the street. Road course much hotter.
Hey buddy, I think I recall reading in another thread that you run your car frequently at the road course using the 6r80. How many track miles do you have and did your transmission shifting behavior change on street driving? I heavily track my 6r80 as well and now i seem to get weird shifting from 3rd to 4th gear at around 1500 to 2k rpm. Seems like it's got a torque converter lockup hesitation.

On a separate note, what peak trans temps are you seeing on the road course? Mine goes up to 248f after 6 to 8 mins of hot lapping! And then I take a cool down lap. I'm AED tuned as well, just FYI.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t noticed any odd shifting behavior on the street. I’ve 10 track days on the car, 4 twenty minute sessions each, though I did not record actual miles.

Are you in Southeast Asia? I assume the ambient temperature there is quite hot if you’re seeing 248F that quick in the session. Mine would reach that temp towards the end of the 3rd session of the day, then go into limp mode.

The stock trans cooler is not big enough for track duty on these cars, so I have a Mishimoto trans cooler on order. These are on backorder and set to ship in March.

Not sure if the tune is affecting trans performance. If you have hit that temp frequently like I have, I’d change the fluid. Cheap insurance!

Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t noticed any odd shifting behavior on the street. I’ve 10 track days on the car, 4 twenty minute sessions each, though I did not record actual miles.

Are you in Southeast Asia? I assume the ambient temperature there is quite hot if you’re seeing 248F that quick in the session. Mine would reach that temp towards the end of the 3rd session of the day, then go into limp mode.

The stock trans cooler is not big enough for track duty on these cars, so I have a Mishimoto trans cooler on order. These are on backorder and set to ship in March.

Not sure if the tune is affecting trans performance. If you have hit that temp frequently like I have, I’d change the fluid. Cheap insurance!
Yes, you're right! South East Asia. Philippines to be exact. We have 100 degree weather all year round. My car has seen about 24 track days. 4 ten minute sessions each. I really hope the trans isn't broken already. Been hearing so many 800whp guys beating on a 6r80 at the dragstrip with no problems. Mine is just 400whp and only 15k miles in total. Bought in May 2015. Are you tuned? Do you suggest OEM Mercon LV or something like Redline D6 synthetic ATF? Every 6 month interval maybe?

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, figured you were somewhere tropical. Your photo looks like it was taken in a rain forest!!

I'm not tuned, all stock on the engine/trans. Just chassis, suspension, and cooling upgrades.

I'm no engineer, but relatively short bursts up to a high temp probably won't hurt the trans. Maybe someone else can comment on this too.

It goes into limp mode at 250F which cools it down quick. For me, I've already changed it once, just as insurance at the end of this past season. If the Mishimoto trans cooler keeps it at 240F or below, I'll change it less frequently. They say their cooler is supposed to drop the temp 18F, which will be great.

From what I've learned, this is basically the same trans they use on the F150's. I'm hoping that it can handle the abuse on a road course - we'll see! Persistent heat is the enemy here. The drag strip guys live life a quarter mile at a time - :D - which stresses the trans, but won't produce a sustained heat soak. Torque converters will heat up quickly at the strip and I think that would be the failure point for the drag racers.

I used the factory fill Mercon LV.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Stock mine maxed out at 205F after the Circle D converter 207F is the highest. Doing street pulls no track.

gjpundsack

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thewaltermittygarage.com
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0; AT; 355's
Here in Scottsdale this pm with an ambient of 74*, I just say 203* in traffic and it cooled into the 190's when moving. I have a Mishimoto radiator, ATF cooler, engine oil cooler and 170* thermostat. Also using a larger intercooler with the Vortech race supercharger.

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yes, figured you were somewhere tropical. Your photo looks like it was taken in a rain forest!!

I'm not tuned, all stock on the engine/trans. Just chassis, suspension, and cooling upgrades.

I'm no engineer, but relatively short bursts up to a high temp probably won't hurt the trans. Maybe someone else can comment on this too.

It goes into limp mode at 250F which cools it down quick. For me, I've already changed it once, just as insurance at the end of this past season. If the Mishimoto trans cooler keeps it at 240F or below, I'll change it less frequently. They say their cooler is supposed to drop the temp 18F, which will be great.

From what I've learned, this is basically the same trans they use on the F150's. I'm hoping that it can handle the abuse on a road course - we'll see! Persistent heat is the enemy here. The drag strip guys live life a quarter mile at a time - :D - which stresses the trans, but won't produce a sustained heat soak. Torque converters will heat up quickly at the strip and I think that would be the failure point for the drag racers.

I used the factory fill Mercon LV.
I really took that photo in a forest. Lol. Thanks for all the info! Do you also change out your diff fluid every now and then? My car is 3 yrs old but I have not changed diff fluid...I only changed ATF. What is involved with installation of the Mishimoto tranny cooler? Does the radiator have to be removed?

Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t changed my diff fluid yet, I might do it this season.

Regarding the install of the trans cooler - not sure about the install. I couldn’t find instructions on the Mishi site.

I think you might be able to sneak it out once you unbolt it from the radiator.

gjpundsack

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thewaltermittygarage.com
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0; AT; 355's
I put it all on at once along with the Vortech intercooler. Did install radiator first.
Sponsored