JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A/C is out on my 2015 Mustang GT with 15k miles. Service tech has ordered an Evaporator assembly (on back order). He said he has done 6 or 7 of these in the last several weeks. That’s just him and the customers he deals with. There are 3 other service reps at the dealership I haven’t talked to. I was going crazy thinking it was my imagination each day as my A/C slowly faded away. This appears to be a TRENDING FACTORY DEFECT, thankfully under warrant, quietly not talked about.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
So out of curiosity, what can you watch for or test to know if your A/C Evaporator is going or is bad other than the obvious no AC? I have over 24,000 miles on my 15 and the AC went out. I took it to the dealer and they said a line had a leak. They replaced the line and re-charged the freon and it's working great again. The longest I've ever owned a vehicle is 10 years but I've never had the AC go out. Just want to watch to be sure there wasn't more going on.

OP
OP
JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had to pry information out of them but it seems that they put green dye in the system and then bring it up to pressure and notice the failure/leak. The tech said a lot of it is made of plastic. I reconfirmed with the tech that this is an inferior factory part and problem with multiple occurrences.

Like you, I've not had a car so new have a an AC problem. It concerns me what other parts of the AC (and others) are going to go out after the warranty.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was just diagnosed today and the evaporator has failed. It will need to be replaced, it's a 2 day repair due to the amount of labor to disassemble the dash to get access to it.

WDE15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I had the same issue. 8,700 miles on my 15 GT and AC went out. Service tech had to order the evaporator which is on back order. They said it may be awhile but are kind enough to top off coolant any time while I wait for it to arrive. You would think Ford would put out a bulletin on this, maybe they have and I just haven't seen it.

Sponsored

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
I had the same issue. 8,700 miles on my 15 GT and AC went out. Service tech had to order the evaporator which is on back order. They said it may be awhile but are kind enough to top off coolant any time while I wait for it to arrive. You would think Ford would put out a bulletin on this, maybe they have and I just haven't seen it.
Surprisingly no bulletin yet.. I see 3 or 4 a week coming in for evaps.

OP
OP
JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've been waiting more than 2 weeks now in the hot Florida sun. I MIGHT get one on the next shipment next week. Evidently they are coming from Canada?! smh

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Bringing this back from the dead. Took the wife's '15 Stang into the dealer this morning for the door handle recall. I also mentioned a new problem I had with the a/c system. There is a temperature variation across the vents, with the far right passenger vent being the coldest, to the far left driver's vent being downright warm. When moving your hand across the 3 center vents, you can feel the output warm as you move your hand across the 3 vents from right to left. He mentioned that there was a recall on evaporators, so he'd have the techs look at it. A few hours later, I got a call from the service dept. System was low on coolant - evaporator core was leaking.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Is there actually a recall on the evaporators now? While my AC seems to be fine at the moment, I don't relish the idea of it going out when it's 123F outside!

OP
OP
JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Mine took 2 months from start to finish for them to get the part and install. I never heard of an official recall, only this under the table recall. My problem started out like Mulestag's. It is messed up that Ford Motor Co isn't saying anything. I'd definitely have them look for this before your warranty expires.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I'm a bit worried that mine will go out this summer just after I hit 36K miles... I do wonder if there will be a TSB on this since it is a common issue or if Ford is trying to get these cars out of warranty.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Any chance that we can grind down the details. The evaporator; is it the same for all trims? dual v. single AC

Appears that most respondents have dual AC.

Ford will never pay for replacement post warranty. Obviously very irritating but just a FORD fact

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Just got back from picking up wife's car. Blows nice and cold now. Service rep says it will not be the subject of a recall, because it's not safety related. When I asked about a TSB, he called it a 'passive awareness' issue. Goes on to say it's so common, they know exactly what the problem is when a mustang comes in with varying temps out of the a/c vents. That tells me, you'd better hope this happens prior to warranty expiration.
Tech says it happens across the board. Base system, to dual zone.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
OK, thanks.

Here is a vid from a 2010 Mustang evaporator core replacement. Posted 2016 so say 6 to 7 year old car.

The vid is both horrifying and amusing (audio).

[ame]

[ame]

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Something things that would be interesting to find out.

Is the replacement part just as defective as the one they are pulling out?
Does it affect all years? Even though the brand spanking new '17s?
Is there anyway the EPA can mandate the systems not leak refrigerant out to the environment by design?
Wondering if the stuff is harmful, thinking since the hvac system blows all the cabin air over the cores coils, it must be leaking into the passenger compartment for our lungs to filter.
Sponsored