Sponsored

Failed Track Inspection

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Well, she failed a track inspection today due to excessive play in the driver's rear wheel. It appears the hub is bad. You can wiggle the wheel a lot by hand up on the lift. The car is now at my local Ford dealership for evaluation.

The shop that did the inspection said no way anyone would pass the car for a track day event in it's current condition. 5,8xx miles on the clock since March '17. :frusty:

Other than that, the car is good to go. This was going to be my first track day in the car. I'll have to wait for the March MSR Houston track day now.

I will report back what the dealership has to say.
Sponsored

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
It really sucks you are missing the track day. But better to find it now than after it fails at speed!

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really sucks you are missing the track day. But better to find it now than after it fails at speed!
Yes sir. That is why the require an inspection. Fortunately March 11 is not far off.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm surprised you didn't notice any vibration or more tramlining or anything.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm surprised you didn't notice any vibration or more tramlining or anything.
I would have thought I would have notice something as much as you can move the wheel. It moves about 1/4" or so total so 1/8" in any given direction. Very much noticeable when you grab the wheel with both hands and push/pull on it.

Maybe it's been bad since day one and I did not notice because it's always been bad??? The tire is showing no signs of unusual wear so I am guessing a relatively recent issue though.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
weird. There is a hex stud and two locating pins at the base of the steering wheel so you cant install it wrong. Doesn't leave much room for any kind of wiggle at that point. The issue is probably somewhere at the suspension level

doz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
997 GT3,GT350
Well, she failed a track inspection today due to excessive play in the driver's rear wheel. It appears the hub is bad. You can wiggle the wheel a lot by hand up on the lift. The car is now at my local Ford dealership for evaluation.

The shop that did the inspection said no way anyone would pass the car for a track day event in it's current condition. 5,8xx miles on the clock since March '17. :frusty:

Other than that, the car is good to go. This was going to be my first track day in the car. I'll have to wait for the March MSR Houston track day now.

I will report back what the dealership has to say.
My rear drivers side hub had to be replaced around 5k miles. It was a few days before a track event and my dealer didn't catch it but my independent shop did. Unfortunately, I had to miss my track event too but was glad it was caught before the event.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My rear drivers side hub had to be replaced around 5k miles. It was a few days before a track event and my dealer didn't catch it but my independent shop did. Unfortunately, I had to miss my track event too but was glad it was caught before the event.
Sounds exactly like my situation. Just over 5k mikes and Indy shop found the issue. Did the dealership repair the hub bearing with no hassle? How did it take?

doz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
997 GT3,GT350
Sounds exactly like my situation. Just over 5k mikes and Indy shop found the issue. Did the dealership repair the hub bearing with no hassle? How did it take?
They were a bit hesitant and asked for proof at which point I took them outside and was able to move the wheel laterally. I was pretty pissed because they did an oil change to my car the week before and didn't catch it.

They replaced it under warranty without much else but it took them about a week to get a new hub bearing then a day to do the work.

I've had no issues since it's been replaced.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
While not a GT350, I have road coursed my GTPP twice and two autocrosses and a couple dragstrip nights. It has 2300 miles on it. Before my last autocross I ended up changing all the hubs with MOOG problem solver hubs. I had a loose drivers rear hub and a loose passenger front hub. The Front hub actually has the seal falling out of the bearing! The moog hubs look identical but the bearing seals seem much sturdier. We will see.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Pretty sad when aftermarket replacement hubs are higher quality than the Ford parts.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah if the hub is going bad it will allow the entire wheel to wiggle around and there should also be creaking and such. My D rear went bad too but the dealer was too stupid to figure it out so I had to do it myself....

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Pretty sad when aftermarket replacement hubs are higher quality than the Ford parts.
I have bought brand new replacement parts before and had them fail within days. So......it happens regardless of brand.
Sponsored