Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Ok so I've never ever done headers on a car. Never really had the reason too (still really don't lol) but damn this car. Anyways, thanks to beef's and his amazing price he had on the SP it really got me wanting headers. Except I'm a scared pansy because of how loud it will make my xtremes, and no I don't want sports.

So after talking to [MENTION=14371]'Merica[/MENTION] about it and my dad all week long, my dad was talking to my uncle and my good friend who both work on engines and built many many cars, but mostly might be older or really old(mostly gm and dodge, some ford). The friend works on cars for living and restores them and my uncle works for briggs and stratton as one of their nationwide troubleshooting mechanics. So both have a great background and knowledge when it comes to engines.

Anyways, their concern was or their experiences are, trouble with aftermarket headers and leaks. I'm not sure if just things are different in today's world with how headers are built on these new cars, but that's their main concern. I do value their concern because I've seen them turn shit situations into gold when it comes to repairing cars.

Are there any known issues or leaks or general concerns with headers and the s550? I can't recall a single issue here on the forums. Again I'm really a header noob so feel free to share the knowledge.
Sponsored

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I'm interested in this as well. ...and I think you will have headers soon;)

SLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just re-use the factory gaskets and you'll be fine.
Also after a few heat cycles re-tighten all the nuts.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
Mods in my sig. No leaks so far. I did have a reputable lical shop do the install.

I think it might be too loud with your catback. Ive had my headers on for months and the rasp and cold start loudness have driven me crazy.

Crazy enough to purchase a pair of Pypes M80 resonator/mufflers (louvered instead of perforated design), #MVR200S, to be welded in next week.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I feared the same thing....my last Mustang was a 95GT...I skipped the whole S197 generation (my fear of mod motors lol). Didn't want to buy this car but it just drove so damn good, couldn't resist...figured have to face the future or be stuck in the past.

On my 95 I had different shorty headers and finally a set of BBK long tubes. I learned to fight with them and do tricks to get them on (stick to one piece flanges, use long bolts to line them up, then replace w/ short bolts one at a time...). After taking the plunge with these SW LT's I can say the manufacturing has come a very very long way. Fit was dead spot on... I had to do no gymnastics to get these on. I didn't even take the motor mount out (just disconnected to raise the engine). I would do another set in a heartbeat....with beer of course :cheers:

Sponsored

Major League Infidel

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 CO GT PP
Ive never had a single issue with my headers coming loose and leaking. I reused all the factory studs/nuts and gaskets. Ive actually never had to retighten either and I check them regularly just to be sure.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
The quality is excellent these days with top line header manufacturers. It's not that common anymore to get manifold leaks.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I don't have headers on my 15. However I did have Stainless Power LT's and 3" ORX on my 13. I installed them myself with a buddy(Mini shop foreman/old Cadillac master tech). I'm a service advisor at a BMW dealership so had the convenience of a lift and pretty much every tool at our disposal. It took us about 5 hours taking our time. Fit and finish was great. We took the extra time to keep ALL the stock studs as I didn't like the idea of using bolts. In my opinion it's worth keeping them. No issues with leaks. Replaced both gaskets at time of install with new OEM gaskets. Volume of the exhaust increased greatly with them and the ORX. I already had Roush axle backs. I decided to keep the stock mid pipe with resonators to keep the volume down a little. I heard my setup with full 3" back, no cats, or resonators to Roush axle backs and it was WAY too much. If you're going to keep cats it shouldn't be too bad with the extreme but the volume with certainly increase.

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
well i figured by now if there was an issue someone would be posting in a hurry about their issues.

we'll see if anyone does have any issues to report but so far looks good from yall's testimonials.

yeah the number 1 drawback is the volume that's for sure. I just wish I knew the volume difference between catted and catless headers with the xtreme. We don't have state inspections here so logic says go catless but like I said I just can't dump my xtremes. I am wayyyy to addicted to that tone! maybe I'll get lucky one day to hear both setups.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I reused the gaskets, but I used the provided silicone stuff that came with it. I did use the new botls save for the one bolt I left on each side, just because I think the new bolts were easier to use due to the head design.

Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
well i figured by now if there was an issue someone would be posting in a hurry about their issues.

we'll see if anyone does have any issues to report but so far looks good from yall's testimonials.

yeah the number 1 drawback is the volume that's for sure. I just wish I knew the volume difference between catted and catless headers with the xtreme. We don't have state inspections here so logic says go catless but like I said I just can't dump my xtremes. I am wayyyy to addicted to that tone! maybe I'll get lucky one day to hear both setups.
I have catted Kooks with Borla Type S. The sound was perfect without the headers but now too loud. I've heard non catted with the Type S and it was too much for me. I've also heard Stainless catted with Corsa Extremes and it was loud...louder than my set up and on par or slightly louder than the non catted Type S. So, maybe non catted with Corsa Extremes may literally wake the dead. I think they're have been a couple threads about non catted with Corsa Extremes. Search "way too loud" - some good threads will pop up.

BigEasyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you had them installed at a shop, what are yall paying? I'm going back and forth on whether or not to deal with the install. I've swapped headers on my old cars before but never heard of it being this much of a pain.

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I have catted Kooks with Borla Type S. The sound was perfect without the headers but now too loud. I've heard non catted with the Type S and it was too much for me. I've also heard Stainless catted with Corsa Extremes and it was loud...louder than my set up and on par or slightly louder than the non catted Type S. So, maybe non catted with Corsa Extremes may literally wake the dead. I think they're have been a couple threads about non catted with Corsa Extremes. Search "way too loud" - some good threads will pop up.
oh i've seen, watched, and read everything out there with catless and xtremes!

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
If you had them installed at a shop, what are yall paying? I'm going back and forth on whether or not to deal with the install. I've swapped headers on my old cars before but never heard of it being this much of a pain.
Based off what I know about working in a shop and having to do them in a shop environment on my 13, I'm going to guess 5-8 hours labor. 5 being a good deal, 8 being on the higher side maybe from someone that hasn't done them before but has mechanical knowledge. I don't know what other shops labor rate myy be where you live but we are at 130.00 and hour. I would guess to average about 100.00 an hour...

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
I'm in the same boat here, my next big mod are catted Kooks headers. I have the Corsa Xtreme, but my only concern is if it's too loud inside the cabin and can't have a conversation with someone...I don't care about how loud it is on the outside though lol
Sponsored