Mixed info about coyote hp limit

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
So I have searched and came to the soild conclusion that my 2017 GT can safely handle the power of a Whipple stage 2, Gen 3 unit. I ordered it and alot of shops in my area now are telling me I'm crazy for running the whipple without a built engine and that I will blow it up. I live in Canada. watching and reading about hundreds of people safely running this kit I can't understand why they are saying this and now have me freaked out:(
I'll be only using he Whipple tune. The car won't see any track time this summer because of stock shafts and no OPG/CS upgrade yet. Just wanted to here peoples thoughts on this. My friend actually has a phase 2 Roush with upgraded throttle body and JLT intake, made 680WHP or something and the shop actually turned the car down to 660WHP saying that the engine won't last at the HP levels past that. Should I be worried?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
It's hard to set an actual numerical limit, every motor and setup is different. One motor could go at 600whp, one could live happily at 900whp.

The tune is probably the most important. A good, reliable tune from a well-known source will last longer on more power than an improper tune on less power.

Overall the block itself most people agree is good to 700-800whp. Past that you can start having issues with the stock sleeves or rotating assembly. The weakest link of the coyote is the piston rings. ProchargerTECH explained it well here (last 3 posts on the page), but basically the stock rings can give out from heat on long pulls with forced induction even on moderate power levels. Keep away from half mile racing and super long highway pulls and you should be fine though.

All that being said, around the 650whp mark is considered "safe" by most people. I wouldn't worry about the motor at that power level.

However you never know, so it's good to know breaking things is a possibility. That is the fine print that comes with modding a car. I broke my 6R80 at only 650whp which is pretty unheard of. You have the MT82 so you will probably not have any issues with the trans itself, but I would plan on having to upgrade the clutch. RST is a popular choice.

On the OPG... Everyone has a different opinion. Not many of them break, but it has happened and it's a known weak point due to increased power and RPM. If you keep the revs down and try not to bounce off the limiter, that will be safer on the stock OPG. But on a supercharged car on the street, it's very easy to lose traction and do just that. Upgrading them is like insurance, since it's cheaper than a new engine if the OPG goes. Peace of mind also, so you don't have to worry about them breaking when you do a pull. That being said, tons of people run alot of power on the stock ones with no problems.

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Thanks for your response. Yeah I had the same feelings about the "safe" power level. Tune is definitely important for sure. I'm assuming with the Whipple stage 2 Gen 3 I'll be around 700whp and even though anything can happen, I feel with the whipple tune and me going easy on her this year that I should be ok. *fingers crossed* lol

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your response. Yeah I had the same feelings about the "safe" power level. Tune is definitely important for sure. I'm assuming with the Whipple stage 2 Gen 3 I'll be around 700whp and even though anything can happen, I feel with the whipple tune and me going easy on her this year that I should be ok. *fingers crossed* lol
I would agree. Plenty of people around the 700whp mark on here going strong. Whipple tune will be solid.

I still have to hit the dyno but I estimate to be over 800whp going strong at 34k miles now on the stock motor aside from OPG/CG. I'm not easy on it either lol.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
It depends greatly on fuel, tune, abuse, and maintenance.

Use E85, a reputable tuner, don't beat on the car when it is hot or too cold, and change your oil, etc and you can make anything live outside of a freak occurrence.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sort of same thing happened to me. I installed the Procharger and was at a local engine builders shop that lots of people around here respect. The owner and his lead guy both told me that my engine basically would not last very long with the high compression ratio and boost. Neither of them had any experience with the Coyote engine. Maybe they didn’t know what others might, or they were just wanting some of my money for a engine build.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
you will be fine with that basic setup. I daily drove mine at 700rwhp for a year with several air strip runs and 1/4 passes and a lot of street racing too. im switching to a Gen 3 whipple now and am going to run it around 800. as long as you let it warm up and change the oil regularly and don't just straight up beat it to death it'll last a long time in my opinion

Swedish Meatballs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobias
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium - California Special
Sort of same thing happened to me. I installed the Procharger and was at a local engine builders shop that lots of people around here respect. The owner and his lead guy both told me that my engine basically would not last very long with the high compression ratio and boost. Neither of them had any experience with the Coyote engine. Maybe they didn’t know what others might, or they were just wanting some of my money for a engine build.
Yeah you know .. the numbers seen now with the modern supercharger applications, that can turn any essentially bone stock GT into a 800-900hp monster, I mean it's a whole new level to what the oldschool crowd is used to. Not saying you have a bunch of old farts in your shop, but go back 10 years and I think it would be a rare thing to find cars as powerful as these. Now "every" manufacturer offers one straight from factory and any guy with money to spend can rebuild his old sled.

Just rambling but I think it simply boils down to people having no experience and just think the numbers are crazy high based on what they "know".

That being said anything can break. Me I feel I'm on the safe side with "just" 670whp on my R680 :)

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The real question is longevity under boost...how long will it last at 900 rwhp with regular abuse... I've often wondered if i should get a built short block now to have in standing for insurance..non-sleeved short blocks can be had for about $5000-$6000...

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'm one of the ones where it didn't work out. My car dyno'd 580ish on a mustang dyno, which would be a little over 600 on a dynojet. I'm not blaming anyone or any power adder. I managed 9000 miles supercharged and lost compression in two cylinders. But I did not baby it. I'm kinda glad it happened, because now I get to make it better. Just be prepared for this...
picture.jpg

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm one of the ones where it didn't work out. My car dyno'd 580ish on a mustang dyno, which would be a little over 600 on a dynojet. I'm not blaming anyone or any power adder. I managed 9000 miles supercharged and lost compression in two cylinders. But I did not baby it. I'm kinda glad it happened, because now I get to make it better. Just be prepared for this...
picture.jpg
Just curious.. How much money is all of it costing you? Labour, parts etc.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Just curious.. How much money is all of it costing you? Labour, parts etc.
Just figured I'd chime in here because I extensively got quotes for this when I thought my engine went. It varies alot by shop. For me JPC racing was the cheapest at $9600 total. JDM Engineering was over $13k for basically the same job. It depends also on which route you go. Building your block, using a pre-built shortblock, or swapping to the aluminator. All depends which route you want to go or what the shop prefers.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just figured I'd chime in here because I extensively got quotes for this when I thought my engine went. It varies alot by shop. For me JPC racing was the cheapest at $9600 total. JDM Engineering was over $13k for basically the same job. It depends also on which route you go. Building your block, using a pre-built shortblock, or swapping to the aluminator. All depends which route you want to go or what the shop prefers.
Thanks.. Appreciate the help!

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Well I'm gonna try my best to go easy on her this year. I don't have the money for an engine rebuild (which would totally be bad ass) :headbang: And I have a trip planned with the family to Disneyland in California which I'll be driving my Whipple 5.0 there and back! Got the oversized heat exchanger as well...I really need the car to survive this summer :)
Sponsored