Mixed info about coyote hp limit

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
That PID doesn't show up in my logs using the "Generic 2011+" PIDs on my nGauge. Is there a way to change that? I forget.
You have to select "Ford Gas 08 & up" I believe

Exhaust gas temperatures are estimated. Exhaust components temperatures flange/ Cats/ O2's are inferred from that estimate. O2 sensors have a duty cycle vs exhaust gas to maintain desired tip temp. They do not have a temperature sensor built into them, just an operating temperature range. Flange probably comes from cylinder head temp and exhaust gas. The Cats are probably some temperature between those two.

There's a lot of math going on behind the scenes. This is the main reason Ford is using a CHT sensor and not a ECT sensor. They can accurately infer a lot of temperatures based on CHT and other estimates, and not have to have 5 different sensors.
Thanks for the confirmation :thumbsup: Although I'm disappointed I thought I had a EGT sensor lol.
Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
For what it's worth, with cats I saw as high as 2300F. Removed cats dropped to 1800F, after methanol injection dropped to 1600F ( After a decent WOT pull )
QUOTE]

Curious if you remember looking inside your cats after seeing the CATTEMP at 2300f? If so, how did they look? Mine was hitting the 1900s over a year ago and I’ve been curious if that was enough to deform them.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Curious if you remember looking inside your cats after seeing the CATTEMP at 2300f? If so, how did they look? Mine was hitting the 1900s over a year ago and I’ve been curious if that was enough to deform them.
Here were my cats when I took them out, estimating around 15k miles after supercharging.

The black spot is just from the camera angle, not a burn mark. The line on the left side of the cat not sure if that's normal, looks like it might have started to crack? Thats just one side, didnt check the other.

I think for the most part they're usually ok since the high temp is for a short period of time. The longer amount of time you keep them hot the shorter their life will be. I upgraded for peace of mind that they wouldnt melt and plug the motor or shoot out the tailpipe and then I couldn't pass emissions :headbonk:

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here were my cats when I took them out, estimating around 15k miles after supercharging.

The black spot is just from the camera angle, not a burn mark. The line on the left side of the cat not sure if that's normal, looks like it might have started to crack? Thats just one side, didnt check the other.

I think for the most part they're usually ok since the high temp is for a short period of time. The longer amount of time you keep them hot the shorter their life will be. I upgraded for peace of mind that they wouldnt melt and plug the motor or shoot out the tailpipe and then I couldn't pass emissions :headbonk:

Thanks. Looks like it was in fairly good shape, except that line, hmm wonder if that was a beginning of it breaking down. In any case good to see it seemed to survive the 2300f you were seeing. Looks orangish, guessing that’s from some Torco (MMT). Thanks again for the pic

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Looks like it was in fairly good shape, except that line, hmm wonder if that was a beginning of it breaking down. In any case good to see it seemed to survive the 2300f you were seeing. Looks orangish, guessing that’s from some Torco (MMT). Thanks again for the pic
No problem. I was also surprised how good they looked. The car is only street driven so that probably helps. I have ran Torco in it from time to time.

Sponsored

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
No problem. I was also surprised how good they looked. The car is only street driven so that probably helps. I have ran Torco in it from time to time.
Probably why it's orange (the Torco). My everything is orange from the MMT in race gas hahaha. Was just soaking plugs other day while gapping. Pistons don't really look too orange, just a few hints in the varnish.

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Well the Whipple is almost installed! Waiting really is the worst..lol..also I still have the stock cats. Is a high flow cat any better or should I just eliminate them altogether?
IMG_2198.JPG

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Update! Car has been running the Whipple now since March of this year. Switched to a PB Dyno tune and has been making 709WHP on pump 94 for over 15000KM's (9300 miles) and a drive from Alberta to California and back and the car has been running perfect. Runs no different then when it was stock until I punch the gas. Now I have OPG done and 3.6 pulley with LT headers and 800whp. Switched the oil to 5W50 and is now put away for the winter. See how it holds up next summer I guess.

turboluke9000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrapped Base Mustang GT
As another Edmonton dude looking at boost in the next year, any recommendations on places I should look at or avoid?

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
As another Edmonton dude looking at boost in the next year, any recommendations on places I should look at or avoid?
Yeah, there is 2 shops in Spruce Grove. Stay the hell away from one of them and only go to The Iron Garage. Basically Accelerated Performance and The Iron Garage are the 2 places I would go to. I have personal experience with The Iron Garage and they have been great. My Whipple was installed at Western Motorsports in Calgary but they ain't doing installs anymore. They are a Mustang parts store and I highly recommend them for any parts for your car. As for tuning most guys have Lund or Palm Beach Dyno.

Sponsored

Ryan_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2013 GMC Sierra, 2015 Maserati Ghibli
767 rwhp has been fine for me so far. I did upgrade the OPG and CS. Stock MT 82 with a McLeod RXT, stock driveshaft, and stock halfshafts.

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Hey @Platinum_5.0 , how's your car doing? Any issues since you've got 800whp?
I've been running the car at 850whp since 2020 and no issues at all. I did make 901whp on 16psi and E85 according to the dyno but could never get that on the street because of my 6 rib set-up and belt slip so 850whp is where it stayed. Car trapped 143mph in 4000DA with stock MT82 consistent at that power level. Car has been put back to stock and traded in on a 2021 now and doing a Gen 5 Whipple build.

Mykola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mykola
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I've been running the car at 850whp since 2020 and no issues at all. I did make 901whp on 16psi and E85 according to the dyno but could never get that on the street because of my 6 rib set-up and belt slip so 850whp is where it stayed. Car trapped 143mph in 4000DA with stock MT82 consistent at that power level. Car has been put back to stock and traded in on a 2021 now and doing a Gen 5 Whipple build.
It's great to hear, good luck on the new build!

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
So I have searched and came to the soild conclusion that my 2017 GT can safely handle the power of a Whipple stage 2, Gen 3 unit. (...) My friend actually has a phase 2 Roush with upgraded throttle body and JLT intake, made 680WHP or something and the shop actually turned the car down to 660WHP saying that the engine won't last at the HP levels past that. Should I be worried?
You should be aware of what might happen. In 11/2019 I got the Edelbrock TVS 2650 Supercharger Kit (Stage I) with 700 crank horsepower. I switched to 5W50 oil and installed the MMR Cylinder Cooling mod. Long story short: In 10/2021 after 22.000 km I wrecked my engine. Cylinder Nr. 6: zero compression, Piston cracked, cylinder sleeve and head damaged.

I never took my car to a racetrack but I drove it hard on winding roads and did some hard pulls on the Autobahn up to 300 km/h. The coyote did not like that. I guess it depends on your driving profile. If you plan to use the power regurlarly, you should better have some dollars in reserve for the worst case, quite enough to go for built coyote. That´s the way I go right now.
Sponsored