Sponsored

'17 V6 Build - I bought a Mustang?!?!?!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Going to need you to start doing step by step guides with pics! I've thinking about doing them to finish up with the extra potential with better flowing air, just not sure if I could pull it off easily myself.

Looking forward to your impressions coming up.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Going to need you to start doing step by step guides with pics! I've thinking about doing them to finish up with the extra potential with better flowing air, just not sure if I could pull it off easily myself.

Looking forward to your impressions coming up.
Rather easy / straight forward to do. I can send you PDF's of the applicable sections of the factory service manual.

1. Jack the car up, remove the belly pan.
2. Drain the coolant
3. Lower off jackstands and let it drain some more
4. Pull the Fuel Pump fuse (#49 if memory serves)
5. Crank the engine over a few times
6. Pull the negative battery terminal.
7. Remove the air intake pipe
8. Remove the PCV / Vacuum / Throttle body electrical connector / basically anything connected to the upper
9. Unbolt the upper intake and remove
10. Cover the belt / pulleys with plastic ( I used trash bags)
11. Remove the 4 bolts from the thermostat housing - leave the hoses connected, and pull it off the lower intake coolant pipe
12. Remove the rear coolant pipe from the lower intake
13. Disconnect the injector electrical connections
14. Disconnect the fuel feed line to the fuel rail (safety clip removed, quick release clip)
15. Remove the lower intake bolts, remove lower.
16. Transfer the injectors/ fuel rail to the new intake and the rear coolant pipe clip
17. Transfer throttle body to new upper intake
18. Reverse to assemble.
19. Fill the coolant ( I just measure how much came out - almost exactly a gallon) added a gallon of the Motorcraft premixed (like $13 a gallon at my dealer) leave the cap off the reservoir, engine running, heat on.

Here's a picture with both intakes off - note the thermostat housings is loose from the engine, and I've got shop towels to soak up the small amount of coolant left after draining
intakes off.jpeg

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Well it was a busy week, but I did get a chance to try out the bias MT ET Street R and wheels.

Let's just say I'm not happy with the tune. I've already had one revision from MPT on my 93 PRX tune - they did mention something about timing being pulled because of octane - when I was exclusively running 93 octane from the local BP. So I switched it up after the revised tune was uploaded.

I've since added the ported upper and lower intake.

First off - traction is a wonderful thing. First launch on the ET Street R was at 4K RPM with a smooth, quick clutch release. I thought I broke something - that's how hard the car came off the line.

Subsequent 5K RPM launches were no problem. No clutch drops, no slipping - just a smooth release. Problem is the car just isn't pulling as it should be.

Multiple 14 second time slips. Going the wrong way when it comes to ET.

Of course I was in a hurry and didn't bring my laptop so I couldn't data log. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

So I ended up flashing the unrevised 91 PRX tune from MPT on to the car and the one run I was able to get in - where I actually MISSED 2nd gear and had to let off and to shift into 2nd, I picked up almost 2 MPH in trap speed.

WTH?

I'll be scheduling either a local dyno session where I can datalog and send off everything to MPT or another track session. At this point I'm seriously considering getting a local dyno tune done.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Well it was a busy week, but I did get a chance to try out the bias MT ET Street R and wheels.

Let's just say I'm not happy with the tune. I've already had one revision from MPT on my 93 PRX tune - they did mention something about timing being pulled because of octane - when I was exclusively running 93 octane from the local BP. So I switched it up after the revised tune was uploaded.

I've since added the ported upper and lower intake.

First off - traction is a wonderful thing. First launch on the ET Street R was at 4K RPM with a smooth, quick clutch release. I thought I broke something - that's how hard the car came off the line.

Subsequent 5K RPM launches were no problem. No clutch drops, no slipping - just a smooth release. Problem is the car just isn't pulling as it should be.

Multiple 14 second time slips. Going the wrong way when it comes to ET.

Of course I was in a hurry and didn't bring my laptop so I couldn't data log. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

So I ended up flashing the unrevised 91 PRX tune from MPT on to the car and the one run I was able to get in - where I actually MISSED 2nd gear and had to let off and to shift into 2nd, I picked up almost 2 MPH in trap speed.

WTH?

I'll be scheduling either a local dyno session where I can datalog and send off everything to MPT or another track session. At this point I'm seriously considering getting a local dyno tune done.
Please keep us updated with these issues with MPT...as well as HP and torque numbers. Fantastic thread :D

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think it is still an issue of gas quality or what? Was going to say it might help to try MPT's dyno tuning if you come down to Florida again, but I think whatever adjustments they make regarding the transmission shifting is completely lost on the manual, right?

For your regular driving, how is the improvement from the ported intakes feeling after a week or two?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think it is still an issue of gas quality or what? Was going to say it might help to try MPT's dyno tuning if you come down to Florida again, but I think whatever adjustments they make regarding the transmission shifting is completely lost on the manual, right?

For your regular driving, how is the improvement from the ported intakes feeling after a week or two?
Been running the 91 PRX tune since last Friday - and the car runs great. I've already contacted a local, experienced tuner - waiting on an email for when he has an opening to get it dyno tuned.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Any change of luck with how things are going? Dyno tune running any better if you were able to go?

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Any change of luck with how things are going? Dyno tune running any better if you were able to go?
Been super busy. New house with a detached 2 car garage and another detached shop big enough for car lift. Dyno tuning appointment 7/25.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like a nice place if the house matches the garage/shop space! Hope it and your dyno goes well.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like a nice place if the house matches the garage/shop space! Hope it and your dyno goes well.
Brick Colonial on 4.5 secluded acres. And only 10 minutes from the 1/4 mile drag strip :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Been busy with house projects, not to mention I know have a full size Bronco project I'll be kicking off soon. I got the '17 dyno tuned and I'm pleased. I plan to make the time to get to the drag strip to see the difference in the next few weeks. The car drives great and to me that's what really matters.

Heck - I still have the Sync 3 swap ready to go and need to finish my grill delete project and install the new painted front bumper cover, fog lights and the Velossa Tech Ram air. Hopefully in the next month or two.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear the dyno tune got you figured out, hopefully it performs as expected on the strip when you get back there.

And at least you finally got around to that brake install before you moved! I've got 80% of the parts for a Sync 3 swap ready as well, just waiting for my last bits to come on in.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Long time since my last update. Just busy with moving in to the new house, replacing appliances, remodeling bathrooms etc etc not to mention dealing with getting my old house empty and listed for sale. Haven't had much time to do anything to the Mustang at all. Sync 3 swap still sitting in boxes in the shop - ready to install. Same with grill deletes and everything else.

I did manage to get the car dyno-tuned by a very reputable local tuner. He's got a lot of late model experience a good amount of experience with the 3.7. He was disappointed with the minimal improvements he was able to get out of the car and actually charged me considerably less because of it. At this point, the engine might just have needed more miles on it to 'loosen up' as it were - but who knows. Never did get a chance to get back to the strip. Will be hitting it this Spring for sure.

Still driving the car everyday and no complaints. Looking towards the end of the year for Forced Induction. Leaning Procharger at the moment.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Big ol turbo.

Sucks that you haven't had time to work on the car, but happy to hear you've got the house about taken care of because that's a nice thing to not have to worry about and just enjoy once you have it set up the way you like it.

For the power side of things, I know dynos are just a tool and good for measuring change for one car on one dyno and all that stuff, but hopefully it came out better than mine did. I got 274/279. Hopefully with my cat deletes now, I'll be closer to the 300 mark that I was going for.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've had everything in place to do the Sync 3 upgrade, just no time. I'm going to do my best to get it done Saturday morning. That way I can get it out of the way - because the shop will be filled with an old Bronco for a good while. Got the upgrade files / process nailed down for the Sync 3 conversion as well.

Last night I was trolling around looking for dyno comparisons on 3.7 Mustangs. I'm kind of halfheartedly looking around at the long tube headers available for the 3.7 to possible replace the shorty headers I have right now. I don't have any complaints about the headers I have now - but if I can gain some power without losing my shirt in the process - why not.

Of course the most common option is BBK.

I've done a ton of research on the BBK long tubes. I've seen a few instances of cracking, but that's not something relegated to just BBK. Every one I've seen was not certamic coated that was damaged. I've also seen a considerable number of reports of people having issues with CEL's involved with the O2 sensors and the BBK long tube headers. BBK sells extension harnesses for this, because they actually move the O2 sensor location further downstream near the collector.

Some haven't had issues. Some report premature failures and CEL's. Personally I'm not a fan of moving the location that far away from the OEM location. Another option which honestly isn't that expensive if you can weld or know someone - is to plug up the existing O2 sensor bungs and buy new ones and have them installed close to the engine to better mimic the factory location

That brings me to the Borla Stainless steel long tube header system for the 11-14 3.7 Mustang (same as BBK - they just happen to fit the S550)

https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla-headers-xpipe-1113v6.html

One thing - they have the O2 sensors closer to factory location. They also ring in at over $1K.

So I decided to just loaf through Amazon and see what I could find. I was hoping to see if I could score a pair of off shore made long tubes in stainless - like the "speed daddy" headers I have installed already. Instead I ran across the Borla Long Tube stainless setup with mid pipe. So actually someone who has it in stock.
But the price was a bit over $300 - NOT over $1000. I verified part # and picture and decided to jump on it and see what happens. Can't go wrong.

If I get the headers for $300 great - if not - I'm where I started. Either way it's not a $1000.
Sponsored