Sponsored

The truth about oil catch cans (by Ford)

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/0...a-torture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html

"At the Detroit Auto Show in January, Ford was confident enough about its popular 3.5 liter EcoBoost direct-injection V6 to have technicians tear down an example engine that had accumulated the equivalent of 160,000 miles through an intentionally abusive regimen of log dragging, high-speed towing and desert racing. When they opened it up before a live audience, they found some light carbon deposits on the valves and pistons, but not enough to affect performance. In fact, the engine showed a loss of just one horsepower afterwards – roughly what Boyadjiev’s RS 4 engine lost every 500 miles.
Stephen Russ, technical leader for combustion for Ford’s 2-liter Duratec DI engine, said that similar to GM, engineers have determined the proper injection-timing calibration to help eliminate the carbon deposits. But Russ also said the technology of injection components – particularly the high-pressure solenoid injectors – has quickly matured, meaning excess valve deposits in most DI engines should become a thing of the past as these improved components are incorporated into production."

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo...where is the truth:shrug:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Uh, that does not mean that catch cans are not useful. It just means that you can very likely get full useful life w/o one. With one, you'll have less carbon build up, not none.

Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I mean if you want to spend the money on it go right ahead, but its never been necessary.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was just over $100. Seems like a great nice-to-have item for not much money outlay. I've collected about 1/2 cup in the 3 drains and nearly 19,000 miles I've had the car. All of that would've been burned in combustion or lining my intake and manifold w/o the AOS. It also grabs fuel vapor and water and stops that stuff going back into your oil, as well.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
DI buildup is at the worst during low load and RPM conditions, city driving. You have the most EGR in the system and the crankcase pressure will change drastically.

Running at WOT, high RPM, high load, etc will actually produce the lowest amount of carbon buildup. This makes sense, especially since it was a dyno engine.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
DI buildup is at the worst during low load and RPM conditions, city driving. You have the most EGR in the system and the crankcase pressure will change drastically.

Running at WOT, high RPM, high load, etc will actually produce the lowest amount of carbon buildup. This makes sense, especially since it was a dyno engine.
This is also true of non-DI engines though -- so if this engine was indeed taken apart for the first time at 160k(equivalent), that still says something. Other DI engines definitely do not fair this well.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
But yet Ford had catch cans on the driver and passenger side of every GT350 they had on the Track Tour this year.

Sponsored

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
I think if it makes you feel better and safer, then get them. Under $200 for your piece of mind is a worthwhile investment.

And for the others who don't see the value/importance or just don't care, then don't get it!

I personally don't have it and not sure if I ever will. Obviously they do something, but it's not that important to me.

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
I have a Bob's Auto Sport oil separator.

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/2015-Mustang-GT-Oil-Separator-Pass-side-2015-Mustang-GT-pass-oil-sep.htm

I drained it today and after only 2,000 miles, there were 3 caps worth of oil in it.

[/URL][/IMG]
Which ironically proves how unnecessary a catch can is. These engines run fine for 100-200,000 miles, Ford even back them up with (extendable) warranty for the first years. If that oil would hurt the engine, Ford would have designed a catch can.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I think you're ignoring the fact it may not destroy an engine, but overtime it will hurt HP, MPG, etc.

Side question to others, JUST a passenger side catch can or run both sides?

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Which ironically proves how unnecessary a catch can is. These engines run fine for 100-200,000 miles, Ford even back them up with (extendable) warranty for the first years. If that oil would hurt the engine, Ford would have designed a catch can.
I don't think that it is unnecessary at all. I wouldn't want that blow off oil going threw my SC. And that was 3 caps of oil after only 2,000 miles. I only took a pic of 1 cap.
Sponsored