Sponsored

Rear view camera problem

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My car is having a problem with the rear view camera, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The camera intermittently stops working (of course it's intermittent...). It happens when either the outside air temperature is warm, or the car is warm from heat soak from having been driven for a few hours. When I put it into reverse, either the display continues to show the home screen, or the screen goes blank, but no rear view camera image appears. When things cool off (either because the outside air temperature drops, or the car isn't driven for a couple of hours), the camera starts working again.

I've taken it to the dealer a couple of times for this problem, and of course, since it's intermittent, they can't replicate it. They just give me a long list of things that could cause the problem, and tell me they can't do anything about it until it's failed completely and consistently.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
No, but mine came on today while driving forwards.

I do have the delay enabled but it's rather inconsistent/eratic in the delay. I came to like the rear-view delay from Mercedes but I'm not so sure about in a Ford.

My guess would be you are having a wiring issue of some sorts.

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
I've had it happen once after a long and rather fast drive on the Autobahn, backup picture would not come up and the home screen kept showing. After cool down of approx. 20 min everything was back to normal.
I read somewhere on the web that it is a heat related problem with the reverse switch at the gearbox (the one that tells your car that you are in reverse gear). Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anymore

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
No, but mine came on today while driving forwards.

I do have the delay enabled but it's rather inconsistent/eratic in the delay. I came to like the rear-view delay from Mercedes but I'm not so sure about in a Ford.

My guess would be you are having a wiring issue of some sorts.
I actually find it perfectly fine and predictable, it will stay on until you pull the handbrake or move forward for a certain distance (didn't measure), never had it come up or disappear randomly.

Kudarat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konrad
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Had to have my camera replaced in Feb. The rep at the dealership said this was a common issue. Something to do with the way the cable folds when you close the trunk. They replaced the cable and the camera.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
Is there a TSB for this or something? Im not thinking my dealer will care about my problem (Im seeing the same thing) nor will they replace my camera unless Ford says to.

ponyW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
UA
Vehicle(s)
17 ECOBOOST
I actually have the same problem, every time when I park my car under the sun in hot days, a few minutes later there'll be "Rear view camera not available" on the screen, but once the car is cooled down, it starts working again, and now I'm getting used to it. I've searched on the Internet and some one says it is caused by the folded cable in the trunk, but for mine I've checked there's no problem. And because the issue has strong relation with the temperature, I think that might be something wrong with the relay of camera, I'll ask for my dealer next time.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Attachments

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I just posted a thread that includes pictures of where I found the severed wires and how I fixed them.

JR

Sponsored

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
I actually have the same problem, every time when I park my car under the sun in hot days, a few minutes later there'll be "Rear view camera not available" on the screen, but once the car is cooled down, it starts working again, and now I'm getting used to it. I've searched on the Internet and some one says it is caused by the folded cable in the trunk, but for mine I've checked there's no problem. And because the issue has strong relation with the temperature, I think that might be something wrong with the relay of camera, I'll ask for my dealer next time.
Were you able to fix the problem? My camera doesn’t work when the car has been sitting in warm weather. Otherwise it’s fine. Checked the wiring and it’s all in tact.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I’ve had both issues. Wiring which I repaired and fixed the problem and then it came back several months later. Checked my wiring and all was good. Replaced the camera about 4 months ago and has worked every time without issue. Heat is definitely a factor with these cams.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
My car is having a problem with the rear view camera, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The camera intermittently stops working (of course it's intermittent...). It happens when either the outside air temperature is warm, or the car is warm from heat soak from having been driven for a few hours. When I put it into reverse, either the display continues to show the home screen, or the screen goes blank, but no rear view camera image appears. When things cool off (either because the outside air temperature drops, or the car isn't driven for a couple of hours), the camera starts working again.

I've taken it to the dealer a couple of times for this problem, and of course, since it's intermittent, they can't replicate it. They just give me a long list of things that could cause the problem, and tell me they can't do anything about it until it's failed completely and consistently.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks!
Just had the same problem bought a new one and installed it problem solved the camera needs to get reprogamed by the dealer or if you have forscan you can do it yourself
Sponsored