Sponsored

A10 tranny lugging in 10th - anyone else?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I'v mentioned this a couple times in other threads, so thought I'd start a dedicated one and try to explain it better. For clarity, I have a 2018 GT Premium, A10, 3.15 gears, non-PP, 87 octane gas (so far).

When in D mode in 10th gear, if I slow down gradually approaching a traffic light, the tranny will stay in tenth all the way down to about 42 mph/1100 rpm or so. No problem with that. The problem comes when trying to accelerate at that speed. So, for instance, if when approaching that light I have slowed down to 44 (still in 10th), and the light turns green, when I give it gas , instead of it either accelerating in 10th or downshifting to 9th, it will hold on to tenth and lug the engine - the car will actually shudder bit. I have to really mash the pedal to get it to downshift, and it doesn't do it easily. This also occurs when going up a hill in 10th - as the car slows down, it lugs instead of downshifting, even with moderate pedal pressure.

This isn't an issue in S mode since the tranny won't go into 10th until a much higher speed.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm trying to determine if this is just Ford's calibration for the A10 or whether this is a problem with my car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
I'v mentioned this s couple times in other threads, so thought I'd start a dedicated one and try to explain it better. For clarity, I have a 2018 GT Premium, A10, 3.15 gears, non-PP, 87 octane gas (so far).
Anyone else experiencing this? I'm trying to determine if this is just Ford's calibration for the A10 or whether this is a problem with my car.
:headbonk::doh:

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I just got mine less than 2 weeks ago, 400 miles, 3:55 gears, I have not noticed your symptoms at all, and some of my commute is right at those speeds, coasting to stop lights, then either stop, or keep going, in D mind you, maybe its the 3:55's here. On another note, these cars are sort of difficult to break in when the asphalt is cold, and dusty yet, you just can't get on the gas, and run it up the rev range very much....

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:headbonk::doh:
I’ll try 93 next tank but I don’t see how it would make much difference in how the car shifts. It’s my daily driver so I’m not worried about squeezing out every ounce of power.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
^^ I agree, when you know your just gonna commute, there is no reason to run premium, the motor is just not working hard enough.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
D should be labeled E for eco mode. D mode not meant for any kind of quickness.

I only drive in S mode.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
D should be labeled E for eco mode. D mode not meant for any kind of quickness.

I only drive in S mode.
I'm noticing a trend in cars:
Q50 RedSport
CRV
Altima
Civic

All of those I(and others) get better MPG in D, Sport or S+ than in Eco mode. I'm starting to think it's due to S and S+ modes making it easier to modulate the throttle.

Maybe Eco/D works for "normal" drivers, but if you know how to properly modulate gas and brake it actually makes it worse.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
^^ I agree, when you know your just gonna commute, there is no reason to run premium, the motor is just not working hard enough.
Yeah - Ford certifies it on 87 so it's OK to run in nearly all conditions. Hell, I tow a 9000+ lbs camper with an Ecoboost F150 on a steady diet of 87. 93 will give me slightly more MPG but it doesn't offset the additional cost in that beast.

However I'm planning on running premium in the Mustang but definitely will experiment in a few hundred more miles.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I don't think the fuel has anything to do with this. My car is also a 3.15 base auto. I get the same thing occasionally but mine will downshift or accelerate out of the shudder with moderate throttle. It does bother me when it happens but I just accept it as this shift strategy is how the car gets the gas mileage it does. You will either have to drive in S, downshift manually, or just keep pressing the throttle until it downshifts. I am sure I have never had to press more then a quarter throttle to get it to downshift. I am using 93 or e85 on a Lund tune now but I experienced the same when on the stock tune. I will admit I have never put 87 in it and told the dealer to fill it with 93 before final delivery. I just don't see how the octane of fuel would have anything to do with shift strategy.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
My A6 will even do that too, it's the programming. If you use Sport mode it will be much more willing to downshift. Accelerating in Normal mode is a mess.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lonmon - did the Lund tune improve the lugging in 10th?

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
It is better but it still happens. I believe it does shift a little quicker with less throttle input.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My Durango with its 8 speed will feel like it's lugging with 2 less gears because it won't downshift when it should because, I'm sure, there's an EPA regulation requiring it.

Believe me, ain't nothin' making its Hemi fuel efficient. What a joke.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
Use the paddle shifters. Mine drops a gear immediately when I use it on those occasions.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Pretty sure like every other automatic ever to exist with electronic control a quick little stab of the throttle will downshift it and stop the lugging. I have to do it all the time in my POS beater Malibu and its only got 4 gears. If you keep tipping the pedal in slowly its not going to do what you want.
Sponsored