Engine died - replaced fast!

Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4
Last Saturday I was cruising the back roads in Warm Springs, GA headed towards Pine Mountain when a slight knocking noise started in the engine. I was only going 45 mph in 5th gear when the car bucked slightly and the knocking noise got significantly louder. I pulled over to figure out my next move. Car only had 1,820 miles at the time and I had checked the oil before the trip. All gauges, temperatures, reading were normal but the check engine light was on. Car was idling like nothing was wrong. I had to drive 3 more miles to get to a good pickup spot for Roadside Assistance so I crept down the highway at 25mph trying to keep the car below 1,500 rpm. Anything more than that and the knocking noise got real loud. At this point I'm more concerned about the tow guy getting the card loaded onto the flatbed without damaging the splitter but he did a good job. Its now Saturday night but the Sales Manager for Vigil Ford in Fayetteville met at the dealership and unlocked the gate so the car could be dropped off and stored safely. Monday morning they checked the oil and found a lot of metal in it. The engine code was indicated a misfire in cylinder 6. The call went out to Ford and a new engine was approved and ordered. The engine shipped from Memphis, TN and was received Wednesday. I dropped by Thursday and they let me walk out into the shop to see that the new engine was already in the car but they had to finish putting the intake manifold and belt driven accessories back on. I picked up the car yesterday, Friday afternoon and so far so good. The service manager told me that he was the only one to drive the car and he put 30/40 miles on it making sure everything was good. Glad he did. I've put another 50+ miles on it and so far so good. The paperwork had a comment stating the oil pan on the bad engine was removed and they found that the cylinder 6 rod bearing failed. Hope this story helps anyone else having to deal with a similar situation. I have to give props to Vigil Ford in Fayetteville, GA turning around the car in 6 days. Phenomenal job! I can't help but wonder if the car has lost some value having gone through this but I bought the car to drive and enjoy, not worry about how quick it depreciates.

:ford:
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Sounds like you have a very competent dealer. Consider yourself blessed!

swamp_gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Its now Saturday night but the Sales Manager for Vigil Ford in Fayetteville met at the dealership and unlocked the gate so the car could be dropped off and stored safely. Monday morning they checked the oil and found a lot of metal in it..... The engine shipped from Memphis, TN and was received Wednesday.... I picked up the car yesterday, Friday afternoon....

Wow. That's a good experience from a bad situation. Sorry to hear about your engine Ronp. Bravo Vigil Ford. If my time ever comes, I hope my local dealer will have my back like this.

Last edited:

joekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Hell that's such a solid experience I'd consider having my car shipped to them if something were to go wrong with the engine! Glad everything turned out good considering the circumstances!

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Great dealership for sure. Glad you got treated well. Not too nice however hearing about yet another catastrophic failure.

Sponsored

rushca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White OTT
I thought I read that someone else has been waiting like 60 days for engine because they were on back order?

Sorry to hear it went down, I have an 18 with 366 miles and in my mind I keep thinking when is it going to happen to me. I’m constantly watching the oil pressure gauge.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Hate to hear you had the trouble but glad they took care of you and quickly. I'm getting a little paranoid reading about these failures. I know the numbers are small but I feel like I'm driving a time bomb sometimes.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I have a buddy that works at the other Allan Vigil dealership in McDonough, GA. Great dealership and great people. I will be taking my car there if I ever have any warranty issues.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Hate to hear you had the trouble but glad they took care of you and quickly. I'm getting a little paranoid reading about these failures. I know the numbers are small but I feel like I'm driving a time bomb sometimes.
Most of the failures I have seen have been on motors under 10,000mi. Has any failed beyond that?

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Relax, fellas. This is nothing like the paranoia I experienced when I had my C6Z06 with its epic valve dropping fiasco.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks for the info and congratulations [MENTION=14234]Ronp[/MENTION]. Seems as painless a swap can be. Looks like Ford is getting more efficient, what do they say about practice :lol:

Last edited:

Jdmuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra Viper Z06 Mustang
Good to hear you had a great experience in the midst of this mishap.

This is the first time I’m seeing a motor failure due to bearings on this site. Now was this possibly due to a build error or are these motors constantly popping due to bearing failures?

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 GT350R base,18 GT350R
Glad to hear a positive review of the dealer and think there will be more replaced in the near future.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Last Saturday I was cruising the back roads in Warm Springs, GA headed towards Pine Mountain when a slight knocking noise started in the engine. I was only going 45 mph in 5th gear when the car bucked slightly and the knocking noise got significantly louder. I pulled over to figure out my next move. Car only had 1,820 miles at the time and I had checked the oil before the trip. All gauges, temperatures, reading were normal but the check engine light was on. Car was idling like nothing was wrong. I had to drive 3 more miles to get to a good pickup spot for Roadside Assistance so I crept down the highway at 25mph trying to keep the car below 1,500 rpm. Anything more than that and the knocking noise got real loud. At this point I'm more concerned about the tow guy getting the card loaded onto the flatbed without damaging the splitter but he did a good job. Its now Saturday night but the Sales Manager for Vigil Ford in Fayetteville met at the dealership and unlocked the gate so the car could be dropped off and stored safely. Monday morning they checked the oil and found a lot of metal in it. The engine code was indicated a misfire in cylinder 6. The call went out to Ford and a new engine was approved and ordered. The engine shipped from Memphis, TN and was received Wednesday. I dropped by Thursday and they let me walk out into the shop to see that the new engine was already in the car but they had to finish putting the intake manifold and belt driven accessories back on. I picked up the car yesterday, Friday afternoon and so far so good. The service manager told me that he was the only one to drive the car and he put 30/40 miles on it making sure everything was good. Glad he did. I've put another 50+ miles on it and so far so good. The paperwork had a comment stating the oil pan on the bad engine was removed and they found that the cylinder 6 rod bearing failed. Hope this story helps anyone else having to deal with a similar situation. I have to give props to Vigil Ford in Fayetteville, GA turning around the car in 6 days. Phenomenal job! I can't help but wonder if the car has lost some value having gone through this but I bought the car to drive and enjoy, not worry about how quick it depreciates.

Don’t worry about it it deprecated, as bad as things like that suck, your dealer sounds great! Just drive it and enjoy it!

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Quiet a difference from the treatment that regular Mustang owners receive. A new engine in a week vs a half ass rebuild taking months.
Sponsored