Sponsored

Ecoboost Fuel System Cleaning

eco16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Went in for an oil change and got suckered into the fuel system cleaning from express oil change. The car only has 30,000 miles and I always use premium fuel in the 2016 ford tuned ecoboost. While in the waiting room I did some research and read that the fuel system cleaning may cause damage to the engine. The tech tried to convince me that this is some special fuel system cleaner designed for turbos. On the road I heard a noise come from engine when accelerating quickly. The noise went away a few more miles in but I am still concerned. It has about 4,000 more miles until the limited warranty expires (ford performance tune). I always put the best fuel, oil and parts on my car and I feel like I may have put unnecessary damage to the engine. Does anyone have any experience with fuel system cleaning from express oil change. Below is the link. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://www.expressoil.com/auto-service/fuel-system-cleaning/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Went in for an oil change and got suckered into the fuel system cleaning from express oil change. The car only has 30,000 miles and I always use premium fuel in the 2016 ford tuned ecoboost. While in the waiting room I did some research and read that the fuel system cleaning may cause damage to the engine. The tech tried to convince me that this is some special fuel system cleaner designed for turbos. On the road I heard a noise come from engine when accelerating quickly. The noise went away a few more miles in but I am still concerned. It has about 4,000 more miles until the limited warranty expires (ford performance tune). I always put the best fuel, oil and parts on my car and I feel like I may have put unnecessary damage to the engine. Does anyone have any experience with fuel system cleaning from express oil change. Below is the link. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Premium fuel doesn't necessarily mean the best fuel. The Ecoboost is safe to run on 87,89,91,93, and e15. The "best fuel" to use is a gas station that uses Top Tier gas.

Most fuel system cleaners are just snake oil for a Direct Injected engine like the Ecoboost. I would continue to monitor the car for noises and CELs over the next few weeks, but I wouldn't get stressed out about their fuel system cleaning.

OP
OP

eco16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Update: Drove today and gas pedal and breaks feels heavy when applying pressure. Only hot air coming out of a/c. Occasionally lost complete power when applying full acceleration. Called local ford mechanic and was told it is completely fine to do a fuel system cleaner and that this would not hurt the engine. The car is just not driving the same ever since I took it in. It still runs hard with the tune but something is just a bit off ever since doing fuel system cleaning. No CEL's at this point thankfully but considering taking it to dealer for diagnostics while it is still under warranty. Just don't want to create any additional problems.

Last edited:

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Belt slip or evap core leak for AC. Belt slip for lost of power. Tensioners sometime fail. Hard brake pedal is low vacuum for either low idle or a leak somewhere. Accel pedal I have no idea as it's electronic.

OP
OP

eco16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Found out today they used: Valvoline™ EasyGDI™ Fuel System Service

Spoke with another ford rep and this time they said they do not approve of fuel system cleaning and this could possibly void warranty. I did not mention Valvoline but I am not sure if that would have made a difference. To my understanding there is no approved way of doing fuel system cleaning. Has anyone heard differently?

Thank you to everyone who replied. The ford mechanic also mentioned the vacuum not being attached properly back could be a reason for stiff break pedal. They did not give any explanation about the a/c not working, or the gas pedal being stiff. They are going to look at it Wednesday to determine what's going on. I do know they test drove the car after doing the fuel system cleaning and maybe it was driven too hard by the mechanic as a reason of why it's driving differently. It may never be the same....

Sponsored

OP
OP

eco16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
As marvinmadman mentioned it was a evap core leak for the a/c. This involves ripping out the dash and it's a pretty big job. Turns out its pretty common with all mustangs year 15-17. Any other problems to look out before it goes out of warranty?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Found out today they used: Valvoline™ EasyGDI™ Fuel System Service

Spoke with another ford rep and this time they said they do not approve of fuel system cleaning and this could possibly void warranty. I did not mention Valvoline but I am not sure if that would have made a difference. To my understanding there is no approved way of doing fuel system cleaning. Has anyone heard differently?

Thank you to everyone who replied. The ford mechanic also mentioned the vacuum not being attached properly back could be a reason for stiff break pedal. They did not give any explanation about the a/c not working, or the gas pedal being stiff. They are going to look at it Wednesday to determine what's going on. I do know they test drove the car after doing the fuel system cleaning and maybe it was driven too hard by the mechanic as a reason of why it's driving differently. It may never be the same....
They would have to show it caused the issue to void the warranty. And dealerships don't want to void warranties either if they can as it is easy money for them.

It's normal for a thing or two to go wrong with a car between 20-30K miles. I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't see a fuel cleaning or hard driving being any issue here. I've owned plenty of cars and that 20-30K mark has always been the worst. The next 100K should be fine.
Sponsored