5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Now of the red that some of you picked...I'm thinking the 2nd to last pic before the yellow...that one? I think that red closest matches the dot in the 5.0. So yellow and some blue...agree with [MENTION=21364]Rustang[/MENTION], has to body match; and the blue in the pic is not a body match to my eye but it can be had by supplying G2 the code. Keep the opinions coming all!

[MENTION=33095]jesse[/MENTION] there a lot of ceramic coatings out there so please do your research on that. Also, the steps PRIOR to the coating going on are the most crucial...the paint prep rules in this process for sure. Let us know what you decide or if have questions, please post 'em...pretty sure everyone here would benefit.
I stripped of the coating the stealership put on and I made them take it out of the price of the car because I didn't want it. Right now, I have Wolfgang's Ultimate Paint Sealant, topped with Colinite 845 topped with Po'Boys red. Prepped by citrus wash, iso wipe, clay, followed by mild polish (P21S), then the rest. I rinse-less wash or just spray detail with McKee's rinse-less wash...did this back in May and it's still beading strong (I do need to re-do it all soon so I may go the ceramic route this time...we'll see).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I have not figured out what I am going to coat it with? I might DIY with w Cquartz of 9h off of amazon
you'll be better off getting it off Autogeek currently, they have a 20% off coupon going right now for the coatings :cheers:

This Kit will give you 30ml of Cquartz UK (i had about 1/2 a bottle left over doing my car) and enough reload to do the initial reload coat for 39 bucks right now with the COAT20 coupon code.

My car was near flawless paint wise still, so I went over it with CarPro Essence with a polishing pad, then a finishing pad over the whole car, then coated with the Cquartz UK and reload. It looks great and repels dirt/water like nobody's business. I will say though, 90% of the gloss comes from the paint correction, so if you want it for that I'd just polish and use a good sealant/wax combo. But it really does keep the car cleaner longer, which is really nice, and stuff comes right off with no effort.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That seems like a nice deal, isn't it?

Even after my polishing efforts this weekend, there were still some swirls in the paint. Since it seems like you guys have done this a few times, might as well ask here. If I start with a medium pad and compound and that doesn't do the job fully and there are light swirls still, does that mean to step up to heavy or try the light to refine it more? I did use the polisher with a microfiber pad to apply JetSeal and hoped that would get rid of some of the light swirls but there are still there if I look hard enough...

Thanks

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION] you take baby steps with that because you want to remove as little as possible. So you start light, and get progressively more abrasive. The pad/polish combo is very important so start with light pad light polish and go up from there...in your situation I wouldn't necessarily go heavier pad....what did you polish with that still left light swirls? (Pad/polish combo.is what I want).
And I think that is a good deal, I might have to jump on it.

jesse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT vert
you'll be better off getting it off Autogeek currently, they have a 20% off coupon going right now for the coatings :cheers:
Thanks! :thumbsup: That seemed like a good deal so I got it and also the "Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit - G1016"

Now all i need is the car, a couple beers and a nice weekend waiting not so patiently...

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
.what did you polish with that still left light swirls? (Pad/polish combo.is what I want).
I was going to start with Griot's BOSS Perfecting Cream and Perfecting Pad, but Amazon shipped me the wrong size pad for what backing plate I have and I never opened the box until this weekend so I missed the return window on that. So I started with the BOSS Correcting Cream with a Correcting Pad (went up to speed 6 on my polisher and did multiple passes) to go over everything.

The following morning I used a Fast Finishing Pad to apply JetSeal (only went up to speed 3).

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Maybe a little heavier then...the boss correcting says light to moderate...or stick with that and go the next step up on pad...but always test in the least conspicuous area you can. JetSeal is good stuff as well.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
When you do that are you then supposed to work back through the other steps or is it just heavy then you're done? I know with sanding you should, but not sure about this case...

I doubt I'll do it again for at least 6 months to a year so there's a chance I'll see you in between there and can get some tips on what you think might fix it up best.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I skipped a step before....Iron-X, then everything else I listed. For you, compound, then finishing polish, then seal/wax. You don't need to re-claybar or the iso rub down.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Best side shot I got of the car when I was taking pics. You can make out the stripe here. Not a big attention grabber really.
DSC_0078.jpg

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Do it on the other side too...it looks pretty cool...and if it's easily removable then why not?

PortalMaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Lexus IS300 AWD
[MENTION=11047]PortalMaker[/MENTION] could you take a pic of the whole back of the car? Me thinks there may be an 18 rear bumper in the future since my 17 is just a base.
Just saw this. Here you go.
20180116_154740.jpg
20180116_154751.jpg

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
AHA!!! I don't have to convert to quads after all if I go this route! Now I have to decide...an 18 bumper like yours or a 17 premium and a diffuser...

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Premium, Lightning Blue
Thanks for the caliper color photoshop! Been debating which color I'd like best for a while now. To my eye the darker red looks great since it flows with the 5.0 dot, but I also have a red howler badge and a few red interior accents so it all sort of flows without being over the top. I think it really just depends on what your overall vision for the car is when coupled with other mods you're considering.

That said I've been debating eliminating the red and going all LB/black with a new howler badge setup, but I need the pantone code for lightning blue. Anyone know the code?
Sponsored