Sponsored

Oil separator

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1, 401A, 10R80, Magneride, Active exhaust, Oxford White
Hey guys, so i only found one thread on here discussing the oil separator(s) for these cars. Seems to be a yes you should run one, or thats just a waste of money!

Has anyone run one that is a brand besides JLT? I originally used a JLT on my 07 S197 after i had a pool (no exaggerating) of oil in my intake manifold. I fouled plugs a few times and after adding the JLT i noticed it caught a bit of oil. Fast forward a couple years, i ordered my 15 S550 and this was one of the first things i did. This time however, i went with the Bob's catch can which caught a lot of oil.

Now, i know the motors are night and day different and new low mile vs older and higher mileage probably makes a little difference. What i noticed though was the way the design was different. Personally i think the Bobs catch can was setup way better, the oil comes into the bottom, goes through more filtering, and air back out the top. This lead to a decent bit of oil having to be drained in a fairly short amount of time. On the JLT i feel like the design might catch some, but because it is essentially just straight through, quite a bit of oil still gets by.

Getting ready to order an 18, or apparently now a 19 and wanted to see if anyone has used anything else or had similar experience? I also see quite a few people running the breather valves, mostly on boosted applications, but if you use or have used them, which is better?
Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Only advice I can give is you probably don't need one. Engines that are direct injected are the ones that can benefit from an OCC. I just bought a 2017 Focus ST and that engine has a history of carbon build up on the intake valves. I have an oil catch can, run premium unleaded and use Valvoline Full Synthetic "Modern Engine" oil (it fights carbon buildup on intake valves) to hopefully avoid this problem. The new '18 Mustang GT went direct injection but they still kept port injection to offset this problem. My opinion is you're safe without one. The port injection should clean off most carbon deposits for you.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I haven't seen much on this forum, but they have been discussed ad nauseam on the Corvette forum. Even after all this discussion there has been no meeting of the minds if one is really needed (the LS motor has the direct injection only). I lean toward what our friend above advised, you probably don't need one. He is correct that the port injection will keep the valve stems cleaned if you use a good top tier gas. But, if you need the peace of mind you can install one. It certainly won't hurt a thing.

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm not engineer but I have watched Engineering Explained discuss catch cans lol.

But the truth is I've seen quite a few posts like the one above and decided that it was a relatively inexpensive and simple mod that potentially provides some protection to the engine at high RPM. So, I added the JLT. I've had it on for nearly 1k miles and was planning to check it today. Will post results later as I spent most of last weekend driving the car hard.

Sponsored

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1, 401A, 10R80, Magneride, Active exhaust, Oxford White
I'd have to find the post again, but i did see where someone in the forum said that the ford engineers actually said to use them, but that they are a maintenance item that people wouldnt check so they are not added from the factory. Makes sense to some degree being that ford has designed their own now. Its always nice for a little piece of mind and relatively inexpensive.

I also see that they have one for driver and passenger side. not sure if one side creates more oil vapor than the other, ive only used a passenger side.

Thanks for the replies/input btw

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's one of those things to buy if you are interested in keeping the car for a long time, and you want the intake as clean as possible (Or, if you go F.I.) What does the inside of a Mustang intake manifold, ports, valves etc. look like after 50k miles, 100k miles, etc? It would be interesting to see.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Just installed FRP Oil catch can last month. When i pulled the stock tubes off oil was dripping out quite a bit for a car that has not been started since November.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I have the UPR catch can with the clean side tube, and I'm glad I have it.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Only advice I can give is you probably don't need one. Engines that are direct injected are the ones that can benefit from an OCC. I just bought a 2017 Focus ST and that engine has a history of carbon build up on the intake valves. I have an oil catch can, run premium unleaded and use Valvoline Full Synthetic "Modern Engine" oil (it fights carbon buildup on intake valves) to hopefully avoid this problem. The new '18 Mustang GT went direct injection but they still kept port injection to offset this problem. My opinion is you're safe without one. The port injection should clean off most carbon deposits for you.
The new 5.0 is both port and direct injected, but we don't know for sure when is which used, so I'd say catch can is still useful.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ford Performance are what I run. Highly recommended. I'd also run a Morroso.

The type of injection you have does not negate the fact oil injected into the combustion process lowers effective octane and can cause knock. Not much, likely very rare, but can.

If you see what I get in mine in my Mustang (Ford Performance) and Dodge Durango (Morroso), you'd be like, well, it's nice that didn't end up being burnt. :)

Plus they do a good job of capturing oil tainted by not running the car long enough to evaporate moisture.

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ok, per my earlier post here is my update since adding the JLT. I thought it had been close to 1k miles but actually only about 500. I just took a look and this was what I had. Like I said I drove it really hard last weekend. Lots of 6k+ pulls and general hard driving on country roads. Glad I added the catch can.

20180316_153247.jpg

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
UPR 4 stage

The 4 mustang's I've had, 3 I used the UPR 4 stage can. It's good insurance and down the road, 25,000 miles now on my 16 it will pay off. I seem to have deleted all of my "Catch can" pics?