Sponsored

Wonder if 350 value will go "up" when GT500 is released?

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It will depend on a mix of these factors:

• How the GT500 handles
    If the GT500 is just a 1/4 mile monster like the Hellcat/Demon then the GT350 will be more appealing to those that like to take turns.
  • 5.2L long term reliability
    If the engine can prove itself as reliable in the long term then this will also help keep prices up. This includes prices to fix a 5.2 FPC vs the 5.0 or GT500's 5.2. If it's a money bucket that won't make it as appealing.
  • If the GT500 has a manual
    If the GT500 is Auto Only then some people just will refuse to consider it.
  • How the upcoming PP2 does against the Shelby in reviews.
    If the PP2 is close enough to the Shelby's handling ability people may not see reason to pay the extra $$ for a car that will be getting parts replaced anyway. They can invest that difference in mods to the 5.0.
I was speaking to the desire of the purist to have a manual - and if the 500 doesn't have one. Many buyers aren't going to care about the pp2, as good as it might be - they want the "specialty" car. There are many interesting models from over the years... Mach1s... California Specials...they don't ever seem to have the same mass-appeal as the Cobra/Shelby or whatever the top dog is at the time.
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I was speaking to the desire of the purist to have a manual - and if the 500 doesn't have one. Many buyers aren't going to care about the PP2, as good as it might be - they want the "specialty" car. There are many interesting models from over the years... Mach1s... California Specials...they don't ever seem to have the same mass-appeal as the Cobra/Shelby or whatever the top dog is at the time.
I was agreeing on the manual part.

And anyone that DOES care about the PP2, or Bullitt, is one less person in the demand for the Shelby, which impacts its value. Ford also puts more marketing behind their top car than the between trims.

I remember when the Terminator came out there were people that went to buy one or order one and didn't even know a Mach1 was an option until they was one on the lot, or later. The guy that originally owned my Mach1 went to pick up a Termi he ordered, saw the Mach1 also being unloaded and came home with that instead. He didn't even know it was a thing being made until he saw it.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I personally think the continued drop in the price of Non-R GT350's will effect the price of R's more than the GT500, although the GT500 might help push down or level off the GT350 and GT350R prices in general. I am kind of surprised at the volume of used GT350's out there right now, and prices are a little lower right now than I think most thought they would be at this point.

When good track-pack cars can be had in the $30K's (Some '16's are hitting high $40K's now), it's going to be hard for many to want to shell out the extra $30K (or whatever) for the R version, especially if the car is out of warranty and they really do intend on beating it up on the track.

I don't even have my R yet and it probably won't be here until May, so imagine how it feels to be getting in at the end of the hype! :) But to me it's all good, I love the car and don't look at it as an investment. Just going to enjoy the snot out of it and hope it shoots up in value (but not expecting it).

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Judging by how prior Shelby GT500 models(I'll give a pass to the 13/14) havent held their value with a crap. You can find 10-12 GT500's for upper $20k/low $30k range these days. They are simply making wayyyyy too many of them. If the 2 year run Boss 302 didnt hold its value, I highly doubt the GT350 will. You can already see these cars rotting on lots for upper $40k price ranges and these cars just brought $10-$20k ADM not even a year and a half ago.

The 350R on the other hand, Yeah, I see that car holding its value really well. Its a special car and they are not over producing them, which is great.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Judging by how prior Shelby GT500 models(I'll give a pass to the 13/14) havent held their value with a crap. You can find 10-12 GT500's for upper $20k/low $30k range these days. They are simply making wayyyyy too many of them. If the 2 year run Boss 302 didnt hold its value, I highly doubt the GT350 will. You can already see these cars rotting on lots for upper $40k price ranges and these cars just brought $10-$20k ADM not even a year and a half ago.

The 350R on the other hand, Yeah, I see that car holding its value really well. Its a special car and they are not over producing them, which is great.
What are you comparing them to? I can't find any "decent" 10-12 GT500 in my area for that much. They are 30-40's with low miles and stock. Only thing going less than that is modded, accident history Pre 2010 or a vert. The Boss didn't hold it's worth much because the next year the GT with Perf Pkg is a faster car(could do a GT PP2 vs GT350 analogy here) but they are still holding value more than a GT. The last gen ZL1 held it's value even less. They can be had for the same price as a decent early(6yr older) GT500.

If you want a car to look at for possible comparison to how the GT350R will trend, look at the Leguna Seca BOSS 302. I've seen low mile version of them go for low 50's still, and higher milage or modded ones going for low-mid 30's.

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Short term, I'll bet "no". GT350 prices will go down after the GT500 is released, everyone wants the latest and greatest. Unless the GT500 is ugly or less fun to drive.

Long term, "maybe", but only if the Voodoo proves to be reliable enough over the long haul. Frankly, I think they made too many GT350/Rs. The '12, '13 Boss 302s were made in smaller numbers and might actually be viewed as more collectible 10 years from now.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Short term, I'll bet "no". GT350 prices will go down after the GT500 is released, everyone wants the latest and greatest. Unless the GT500 is ugly or less fun to drive.

Long term, "maybe", but only if the Voodoo proves to be reliable enough over the long haul. Frankly, I think they made too many GT350/Rs. The '12, '13 Boss 302s were made in smaller numbers and might actually be viewed as more collectible 10 years from now.
If I remember the BOSS's are a solid rear. If that is the case they could be viewed by some as the last "real muscle car" mustangs. Depending on how you quantify that opinion. I can see that driving the prices up on them in some people's eyes.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Boss cars were pretty raw. It had a stick axle that would buck the whole car over bumps and was pretty unsettling in bumpy turns. It also had a MT82 gearbox that really sucked. Getting 3rd under power was achieved maybe half the time. Having said that they were still fun and I miss the ones I had occasionally.
I'm sure taking the new mt82 and swapping gears around will be pretty popular eventually.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I was just offered an in-stock R for $5K over today, first time that's been just offered up like that, so I would say that prices are stabilizing for sure on the R's

I don't consider the old GT500 to be even close to the GT350 and upcoming GT500 since the old ones aren't track worthy.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Interesting thought [MENTION=9260]stanglife[/MENTION]. I know i won’t even consider the 500 if there’s no manual, and i’m sure the ADM won’t allow me to take it seriously anyway. I kinda hope you’re right, but i kinda hope they don’t leave the manual outta the options too. Hmmm...

Sponsored

Dominator

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
People this isn’t the 1960-70s.
The “ONLY” reason why the original muscle cars have any value is because they died off because of the EPA and gas shortage in the early 70s.
Today we dont have that problem “yet”. And the vehicles keep getting better and better. Look at the cobra R’s of the early, and mid 90s. They are not hot ticket sellers. Why would you buy a car that was hot in its time, for top dollar when you can have new and improved for the same or less money?
Why buy a boss Laguna Seca when a new mustang GT is less or equal money and faster and better?
Look at the 2000 cobra R, a low mile original is $50-$75k. 385 hp. Awesome 18 years ago, lame today. For the same money you can buy a new GT350/R and are worlds ahead in all aspects. Until the day comes that history repeats itself, car values will not climb. As I always say.....
A cars value is only worth what the seller is willing to sell it for, and what the buyer is willing to buy it for.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I personally think the continued drop in the price of Non-R GT350's will effect the price of R's more than the GT500, although the GT500 might help push down or level off the GT350 and GT350R prices in general. I am kind of surprised at the volume of used GT350's out there right now, and prices are a little lower right now than I think most thought they would be at this point.

When good track-pack cars can be had in the $30K's (Some '16's are hitting high $40K's now), it's going to be hard for many to want to shell out the extra $30K (or whatever) for the R version, especially if the car is out of warranty and they really do intend on beating it up on the track.

I don't even have my R yet and it probably won't be here until May, so imagine how it feels to be getting in at the end of the hype! :) But to me it's all good, I love the car and don't look at it as an investment. Just going to enjoy the snot out of it and hope it shoots up in value (but not expecting it).
THis is the time to buy a car - the prices always dip this time every year.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
If I remember the BOSS's are a solid rear. If that is the case they could be viewed by some as the last "real muscle car" mustangs. Depending on how you quantify that opinion. I can see that driving the prices up on them in some people's eyes.
I doubt it. I mean, a few stragglers... Everyone but people who wanted dedicated drag cars knew the Mustang had to get IRS if it wanted to stay competitive - and it transformed the car. I don't see many people after a Boss specifically because it had a solid axle.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
I was just offered an in-stock R for $5K over today, first time that's been just offered up like that, so I would say that prices are stabilizing for sure on the R's

I don't consider the old GT500 to be even close to the GT350 and upcoming GT500 since the old ones aren't track worthy.
The 13/14 GT 500 were very track worthy cars with the track pack and SVT performance package. They had all three coolers and proper drive shaft for high speeds. Do a little homework on those cars and you will see just how track worthy they are. Maybe a little heavy up front but that’s about it.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
The 13/14 GT 500 were very track worthy cars with the track pack and SVT performance package. They had all three coolers and proper drive shaft for high speeds. Do a little homework on those cars and you will see just how track worthy they are. Maybe a little heavy up front but that’s about it.
Speaking of heavy up front, did moving from 5.4 to 5.8 change the engine weight much?
Sponsored