Sponsored

Whipple Gen 3.... please help with the setup..

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I have debated for the last month or so to build my motor... sleeve it, pistons, rods... port heads and intake..... and it looks to cost 8-9K. I may gain 100whp doing this.....and I know I will want more.

Then I see these Black Friday sales getting ready to happen....

I'm not one to do anything 1/2 way, so this is where you guys can steer me in the right direction. I'm going to need at least a stage 2 fuel system to run E85. I don't know the needed injector size, but a little room to grow would be nice.
Also can you get an oversized heat exchanger with the dual fan upgrade? I already have a ATI balancer, but will I need a whole new one for an oversized lower pulley? Also appears I might has well do a 10 rib pulley setup and be done. I want to do things right the first time so I don't need to upgrade later. Should I keep my twin 65FRP throttle body or just go with the 132 elliptical or other TB?

Trying to figure the total cost of the upgrade. I would love to do a turbo setup, but it appears to be 5K more.....

Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Please Please put a centri or a turbo on that instead!

Boostworks makes kits for less than the whipples and a JTB Vortech would be killer too!

I love the NA build on your car and still secretly hope it goes 5.2 block with gt350 heads!

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Please Please put a centri or a turbo on that instead!

Boostworks makes kits for less than the whipples and a JTB Vortech would be killer too!

I love the NA build on your car and still secretly hope it goes 5.2 block with gt350 heads!
I would do ta turbo too but I don't want to swap the headers again.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
IMO take it for what its worth a centri on that car makes most sense and means the least amount of the current setup has to be changed.

Keep the headers keep the CJ intake Keep the TB add centri call it a day.

Hell i mentioned a LONG time ago in Evil5.0s 500whp thread that car is begging for the little badass centri that could a cheap paxton from beefcake on black friday sales would be absolutely killer!!

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO take it for what its worth a centri on that car makes most sense and means the least amount of the current setup has to be changed.

Keep the headers keep the CJ intake Keep the TB add centri call it a day.

Hell i mentioned a LONG time ago in Evil5.0s 500whp thread that car is begging for the little badass centri that could a cheap paxton from beefcake on black friday sales would be absolutely killer!!
I used to have a Vortech YSI on my old car. It was a nice setup. Belts could be issues though. I don't think a Vortech will work with the current setup. I just started pricing things and it looks like a Whipple with all the goodies would cost as much as a Hellion with all the goodies...... The additional parts is what drives the price up. If both cost the same, I will go with a turbo. I'm waiting for one of these vendors to step up and give a total package deal!!

Looks like this is all regular pricing, but the Whipple was 13K? Turbo 14K? The 10 rib with balancer is the cost on a Whipple.

Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
14k for turbo where in the world?

Boostworks twin kits start at 6k

Paxtons and Centris start at like 5k

I get it your talking fuel system too but over 10k?

Also your going to need a shortblock shortly after you add boost especially if you want to turn it up with a fuel system and 10 rib kit.

Id be shocked if a simple paxton on e85 plus current setup wouldnt put that stock engine at its limits pretty easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14k for turbo where in the world?

Boostworks twin kits start at 6k

Paxtons and Centris start at like 5k

I get it your talking fuel system too but over 10k?

Also your going to need a shortblock shortly after you add boost rspecislly if you want to turn it up with a fuel system and 10 rib kit.
Hellion Kit with upgraded bearings and billet wheels, ceramic coatings on pipes, blankets, 1300 ID, boost controller kit and a complete fuel system....

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Ohh i know it adds up fast and youll have the stock engine maxed out real quick.

Either way itll be awesome to see what road your car goes thats forsure!

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
Trying to figure the total cost of the upgrade. I would love to do a turbo setup, but it appears to be 5K more.....

Thanks for the help in advance.
FWIW, the LPF twin kit is around $7,000 and there's a lot of guys unning very deep 9's on E85. The kit at that price doesn't come with injectors, tune or boost controller but can be added upon ordering.
Then there's the boost works kit that is about $10,000 complete with fueling and a tune.
Then there's the Hellion kit at about $9,500-$10,500 complete with tune and fueling. All of these kits work great and have proven that they will run harder or just as hard as any blower kit.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
Hellion Kit with upgraded bearings and billet wheels, ceramic coatings on pipes, blankets, 1300 ID, boost controller kit and a complete fuel system....
Man you don't need all of that extra stuff. Regular bronze bushings and cast wheels are just as stout for a street/weekend warrior. Ceramic coating is fine and there's no need to spend the extra for ID13000's. Go with the 1050's and ride. A Sai Li fuel system is $950.

Sponsored

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
I have a max effort whipple car. I love it and it hits really hard, but if I Had it to do over I would go turbo. If for no other reason the ability to easily and quickly change boost on the fly.

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a max effort whipple car. I love it and it hits really hard, but if I Had it to do over I would go turbo. If for no other reason the ability to easily and quickly change boost on the fly.
Thank you for the advice. I met you at Edgewater one Friday night. Your car is BA. Just having issues getting it off the line....

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
I agree on Centri, Beef Cake with his black Friday sells is hands down the best option for the money. Upgrade to the JT-B that will max your motor out on e85 or YSI-B on a built motor. Both can put you in the 8's with supporting mods. Plus no waiting 4-6 weeks or maybe longer after you spent thousands of dollars is the worst.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
Thank you for the advice. I met you at Edgewater one Friday night. Your car is BA. Just having issues getting it off the line....
You're welcome. I'm Working on some changes over the winter to try and calm it down. I made a mistake when I calculated my rear gearing vs the first gear in my 6060. I'm swapping ring and pinion and going to a mantic clutch. I may try some different rear suspension as well.
Sponsored