Sponsored

Headlight Modification

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just did mine and I tried to remove all the butyl I could. I then resealed with clear silicone but my headlight still keeps fogging up and it's happening to both of them. Is anyone else having this issue?

VertMustang98GT

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just did mine and I tried to remove all the butyl I could. I then resealed with clear silicone but my headlight still keeps fogging up and it's happening to both of them. Is anyone else having this issue?

Just my passenger side

VertMustang98GT

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever fix it?
The lights only fog up with direct water contact when washing car.

I've given up on trying to remedy the issue. It bugs me but I've resealed each side three times. Only issue I'm still having is the passenger side.

Sponsored

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No fog here. Still holding strong.
Nathan do you think I should try a different silicone or try butyl because I put a ton of silicone in to the point when I pushed the light back together it all overflowed and I had to wipe it away.

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
I used butyl on mine about a year ago and have not had any moisture issues yet.

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
So is butyl what the headlight manufacturer used originally?

I'm not sure what held the stock headlights together but it looked nothing like the butyl that I purchased when I resealed mine.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Could some of the reseal moisture (fogging) be from improper sealant? ..would be good to know really.. Someday I will separate mine to do amber sequential drl/turn signal.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
The headlights are not sealed from the factory. Regardless of the sealant you use, they can and will get moisture inside of them.

It's mentioned in the owners manual. Both of my headlights got condensation inside of them often when stock.

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The headlights are not sealed from the factory. Regardless of the sealant you use, they can and will get moisture inside of them.

It's mentioned in the owners manual. Both of my headlights got condensation inside of them often when stock.
I decided to try something different and drilled a small hole on the outside underside of the headlight. It has helped a lot. Im thinking they might need more ventilation as the inside of the lights were still no equalizing to the outside pressure. Im starting to think that the only reason to have a good seal around the lens itself is to keep dirt and water from messing up the electronics. The holes I added are not going to allow dirt in and are in a place where they wont be effected by engine heat. Hopefully this works long term better, I read pages and pages on different forums about how important good ventilation actually is.

CenCalS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My car had that “factory” condensation build up inside headlight as well, when I opened my headlights to swap out to clear lens, diode dynamics switchback drl, and dkmoulds clear reflector I resealed headlight with theretrofitsource butyl, worked great and no condensation whatsoever, I’m very happy with my headlights, best mod in aesthetics of the car that I really like. No black tint nor black tint on amber reflector, just all black and clear reflector.
Sponsored