Sponsored

Can simple bolt ons cause a misfire?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Would the combination of a CAI, FMIC, and resonator + muffler delete cause a misfire? This is happening on a friends car. The car isnt tuned or anything.
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I doubt it...but stranger things have happened. How long has said friend been running with a CAI? I've seen some Ford mechanics publicly deride CAI's that use oil soaked filters for depositing oil residue all over the intake of the vehicle...and if that's the case, I'm sure that some of that will turn into intake valve deposits (which are hard to remove in the Ecoboost engine).

OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I doubt it...but stranger things have happened. How long has said friend been running with a CAI? I've seen some Ford mechanics publicly deride CAI's that use oil soaked filters for depositing oil residue all over the intake of the vehicle...and if that's the case, I'm sure that some of that will turn into intake valve deposits (which are hard to remove in the Ecoboost engine).

Hes been running the Injen CAI since day 3, he now has ~20K miles on the car. He cleans the filter as hes supposed to. They replaced the entire motor because of a misfire, it was fine for a few days, then came back in a different cylinder. Now the dealer wont work on it until he reverts everything back to stock because they are trying to blame these mods, which is flat out ridiculous, but at least they are willing to look at it once he goes stock, thank god he kept all the parts lol.

Boostastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Ecoboost Mustang
Hes been running the Injen CAI since day 3, he now has ~20K miles on the car. He cleans the filter as hes supposed to. They replaced the entire motor because of a misfire, it was fine for a few days, then came back in a different cylinder. Now the dealer wont work on it until he reverts everything back to stock because they are trying to blame these mods, which is flat out ridiculous, but at least they are willing to look at it once he goes stock, thank god he kept all the parts lol.
Has he tried new coils. I had a major misfire issue and the cause of mine was a shorted coil due to a cracked plug. Bought new Accel coils and now that car runs fine no misfires. I can't believe a dealer wouldnt check for common misfire causes spark, ignition coil, fuel injectors valve spring ect and hop straight to an engine replacement.

OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Has he tried new coils. I had a major misfire issue and the cause of mine was a shorted coil due to a cracked plug. Bought new Accel coils and now that car runs fine no misfires. I can't believe a dealer wouldnt check for common misfire causes spark, ignition coil, fuel injectors valve spring ect and hop straight to an engine replacement.

Well first they tried plugs, injectors, valve, head, then short block, but there is still something wrong, maybe something with the install of the block?

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
First question is this the cobbs missfire, or an actual missfire code?

It wont be mods causing it, it'll be shitly installed plugs, bad tune.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Is it a stick? Remember that if they replaced the engine and it's a stick there could be an issue with the flywheel. I ran into this when I replaced the clutch in my 2011 GT. Had to re-flash to get the engine running properly. I also had a shop once put the trans back in and mistakenly reverse the O2 sensor wires. The car misfired from this as well.
BTW, why is he running a CAI without tuning for it? That engine should be tuned for the CAI. I is likely running too lean. Did he try putting the stock air box back on?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Is it a stick? Remember that if they replaced the engine and it's a stick there could be an issue with the flywheel. I ran into this when I replaced the clutch in my 2011 GT. Had to re-flash to get the engine running properly. I also had a shop once put the trans back in and mistakenly reverse the O2 sensor wires. The car misfired from this as well.
BTW, why is he running a CAI without tuning for it? That engine should be tuned for the CAI. I is likely running too lean. Did he try putting the stock air box back on?
I saw this pop up in a different thread on this forum a couple of days ago...the dealer was told to replace the "dual mass flywheel" by Ford. Not even sure what that is? :confused: I know what a regular flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch are...

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
There is a sensor on the flywheel is my understanding on the 2011s. There are some threads somewhere on this. I don't think it's on this forum however.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Dual mass flywheel .
images (1).jpeg

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I saw this pop up in a different thread on this forum a couple of days ago...the dealer was told to replace the "dual mass flywheel" by Ford. Not even sure what that is? :confused: I know what a regular flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch are...

Our engines have fewer cylinders and high torque at low RPM, all the conditions for which a dual-mass flywheel can help.

OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
First question is this the cobbs missfire, or an actual missfire code?

It wont be mods causing it, it'll be shitly installed plugs, bad tune.

It was the cobbs misfire code, the car has the stock tune the factory installed, the cobb has never been installed on it.

OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP

Yeah its a stick ill have to check out the flywheel stuff thanks. And these cars in the US dont need to be tuned for CAIs as they have a different sensor that does not need to be tuned.
Sponsored